A job offer...

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
So. I've met a former Canadian Infantryman. We both hit it off pretty well initially. Then he found out I mean to earn a degree in mechanical engineering. He's a civil engineer trying to build a green city in Canadia. He's offered me an education and a job as soon as I get out of the Army. Which is cool. However, he thinks I'm hell-bent on building a totally green city with no pollution whatsoever.

Mind you, I drive a 1968 Mercury Montego MX. Its main attractiveness - that powerful 302 under the hood that GUZZLES GAS and doesn't have any form of emissions control whatsoever. Straight from the manifold through the piping through the muffler and gone. Compression ratios? Performance, fuck the ozone. Exhaust? Who cares? Its a '68!

As far as a 'green environment' goes, well, I've taken a page out of Kill's book and I pour a quart of engine oil down my toilet once a month. Just for shits and giggles. I don't cut my six-pack rings apart, I hope a bird chokes on 'em. I hate the environment. Fuck it.

So what do I do? He is offering schooling and a job, something the American job market is lacking... But its all shit I disagree with.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
So. I've met a former Canadian Infantryman. We both hit it off pretty well initially. Then he found out I mean to earn a degree in mechanical engineering. He's a civil engineer trying to build a green city in Canadia. He's offered me an education and a job as soon as I get out of the Army. Which is cool. However, he thinks I'm hell-bent on building a totally green city with no pollution whatsoever.

Mind you, I drive a 1968 Mercury Montego MX. Its main attractiveness - that powerful 302 under the hood that GUZZLES GAS and doesn't have any form of emissions control whatsoever. Straight from the manifold through the piping through the muffler and gone. Compression ratios? Performance, fuck the ozone. Exhaust? Who cares? Its a '68!

As far as a 'green environment' goes, well, I've taken a page out of Kill's book and I pour a quart of engine oil down my toilet once a month. Just for shits and giggles. I don't cut my six-pack rings apart, I hope a bird chokes on 'em. I hate the environment. Fuck it.

So what do I do? He is offering schooling and a job, something the American job market is lacking... But its all shit I disagree with.
What is in it for him? What is going to happen when he doesn't get what he wants? I would not give him that power over me.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
This requires advice?

I'm not sure what the specifics of the deal are so I'll say this:
-If he's offering a job concurrently with the schooling, do it for as long as you have to. Once educated, dump his shit. Experience and education will do well for you in the future.
-If he's offering paying for school in exchange for working for him for a couple years, do it for as long as you have to, then dump his shit. Experience and education result again.
-I'm sure you'll be running into a lot of people pushing "green" on you throughout your career. This may be a good way to learn how to deal with it, or a way to preemptively start getting used to it now.
I mean, how much of an environmental nut is this guy? Is he going to be putting in nothing but bike lanes or what? If he's psycho-maxhardcore-militant-environmentalist, I'd say it would be a bad idea.

Or stick to your principles and miss out on free education and experience...

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
This requires advice?

I'm not sure what the specifics of the deal are so I'll say this:
-If he's offering a job concurrently with the schooling, do it for as long as you have to. Once educated, dump his shit. Experience and education will do well for you in the future.
-If he's offering paying for school in exchange for working for him for a couple years, do it for as long as you have to, then dump his shit. Experience and education result again.
-I'm sure you'll be running into a lot of people pushing "green" on you throughout your career. This may be a good way to learn how to deal with it, or a way to preemptively start getting used to it now.
I mean, how much of an environmental nut is this guy? Is he going to be putting in nothing but bike lanes or what? If he's psycho-maxhardcore-militant-environmentalist, I'd say it would be a bad idea.

Or stick to your principles and miss out on free education and experience...

He can also learn more about eco-friendly gas alternatives and eco-self-suffiency assuming he plans to build his own home in the future.

A car based on electric or hydro source of power can still go fast without the Vroom Vroom. If he wants the sound effects of an exhaust pipe, he can punch in his MD or DVD sponsoring Vroom Vroom environmental sounds while he drives.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
First thing you need to realize, if your going to work for someone other than your self for the rest of your life, you're going to do things you don't like and don't agree with. Its the sad truth. I personally belive as long as I will like the job and the people I'm working with, I can do it even if I don't agree with it personally. As long as I'm not crossing some moral ground that I'm uncomfortable with its ok. I work with green freaks all the time in the counter top business. Trust me when I tell you its not as green as you really think it is. Realize the extra cost almost always out weights the benefits they are getting for these products, the durability and life span of this products is often 1/2 of what is traditionally used requiring replacement more frequently, creating more waste in the eventual end. The only thing its doing is saving a little bit of energy now that is often reclaimed when you have to make twice as many of them and some land fill space now that will eventually be there in the future. I do realize its not like this with all green products but many of them were engineered and developed too fast to really do us the good they were designed to do. So. . . you can snicker every time some smuck wants to use recycled products to make his tile or cabinets and ground quarts and glue to make his solid surface tops because he basiclly just took it in the ass for nothing.

SittinGrumpy

First thing you need to realize, if your going to work for someone other than your self for the rest of your life, you're going to do things you don't like and don't agree with. Its the sad truth.
I think being in the service you should already know this. My question would be what are the strings attached and never believe there are none.

If I were to pay for your education, I would expect for you to work for me for the amount of years I educated you. I pay for the 4 years you stay for 4 after school but that’s just me.

As far as going green, everyone is doing it. You are not going to be able to get away from it these days, so don’t let this be the deciding factor.

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
Pfft. Fuck green. I'd sooner install a coal-fired steam turbine in my backyard than solar panels on my roof. And I'll drive my Montego until it fucking explodes in a polluting fireball.

And fuck you, you goddamned Commie. A hydro or electric engine is shit. And you're a fucking Communist. So shut the fuck up. You're always wrong, stupid and a fucking moron. I hate you.

So it comes down to this - an education and a job for a while with something I don't agree with, or I'm on my own.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
And fuck you, you goddamned Commie. A hydro or electric engine is shit. And you're a fucking Communist. So shut the fuck up. You're always wrong, stupid and a fucking moron. I hate you.
It's not a matter of being right or wrong, grasshopper. It's matter of giving advice that you asked for. Next time, make sure you mention that you don't want mine, shit-for-brains.

You're one stupid immature turdball. You know goddamn well you won't be burning anything polluting when you can choose solar panels.
Stop acting like you're a bad-ass when you come off as nothing more than a frightened little kid.

More like a little girl, "I hate you, I hate you". Grow the fuck up.

Commies rule the world, motherfucker!:21_002:

Lastly, this fucking Iraq war is a total fucking disgrace not only to America, but to the world, baby killer.