A little help?

SittinGrumpy

So, does anyone have a Costco, Sam's or BJ's club membership, if so, do you think it is worth it?

I have been thinking about joining one but with there being only two of us I really wonder if it is worth it.

Any feedback about these types of stores, memberships?

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
It used to be. Not so much anymore.

NOW the only real difference is you can buy in bulk. It used to be that bulk brought a better price. Now it's just about the same cost (per pound/fluid ounce etc) except just a larger amount.

Add the yearly fee in and you have to really search the store to make it cost effective.

The biggest pain in the ass is ZERO bags when you leave.
Unless you find boxes as you go, you end up with groceries haphazardly rolling around in your trunk/back seat on your ride home.

^^ Sam's Club experience.

SlimSkeeter

It used to be. Not so much anymore.

NOW the only real difference is you can buy in bulk. It used to be that bulk brought a better price. Now it's just about the same cost (per pound/fluid ounce etc) except just a larger amount.

Add the yearly fee in and you have to really search the store to make it cost effective.

The biggest pain in the ass is ZERO bags when you leave.
Unless you find boxes as you go, you end up with groceries haphazardly rolling around in your trunk/back seat on your ride home.

^^ Sam's Club experience.
Have that same problem every two weeks at a chain here called Save-a-Lot. Off brand items (most being better than the mainstream brands IMO) at pretty low prices but if you want bags, you have to buy those, too. Plus side is, they are heavy duty and can probably be used about 100 times. Otherwise they just toss all the boxes up front for you to pick through.

On topic: I wouldn't bother with it. Buying in bulk with one or two isn't all that cost effective as you tend to run into issues with expiration dates and whatnot, not to mention, as stated above, the fees practically cancel out any benefit.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
That filthy jew Clark Howard on the radio says doooooeeeet.

And filthy jews plus saving a penny .....well you get the idea.

I dont use em. ...and won't cause I'm a heathen rich bastard.

SittinGrumpy

I think my biggest issue right now is going to different stores to get the "speciality" items I am eating these days. Was just thinking of ways to cut back IF they would really help :)

Thanks for y'alls opinion.

TopGrey

Family
Founder
Jul 30, 2008
NC mountains
We have a Sams club membership, but it really only helps with large items, such as tires or tv, and the like. Where we save is by going to a grocery store other than the big guys. SavMor is one of those locally. Shit was cheap and I noticed that most was Laura Lynn, Ingles brand items. I asked the manager about it and he explained that they are owned by Ingles and were designed to put other low cost places out of business, such as Go Grocery. We cut our grocery bill by 1/3, which is quite a large sum in the end. Plus, you could try what my wife is good at......screaming down the utilities costs. She calls the cable company and within 15 minutes the cable bill gets cut in half (tv and internet) and we get the full line-up with the exception of the HBO type shit (true blood is not necessary). The credit card bills and interest rates drop if you scream loud enough. No shit, at one time I used to do DSL tech support for Bellsouth. I sat next to the bill collectors and heard some of their conversations. If the caller got irate enough then they dropped the bill, cut the cost of the service rather than lose the customer. Also, cutting back on eating out, even fast food, saves an assload of money.

SittinGrumpy

Hey TG!!! LTNS!

It's not an issue of saving money on other bills, hell I do not own a tv, have no cable bill. I have one cc that is paid off every month so the interest isn't an issue and one unlimited everything phone bill. My whole issue is cutting back the prices on things like paper towels, meat, frozen veggies... if at all possible.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Hey TG!!! LTNS!

It's not an issue of saving money on other bills, hell I do not own a tv, have no cable bill. I have one cc that is paid off every month so the interest isn't an issue and one unlimited everything phone bill. My whole issue is cutting back the prices on things like paper towels, meat, frozen veggies... if at all possible.
I say go for it. Does not matter how many suggestions you get for this thread, as well meaning as they are, you won't know until you try it and it isn't an expensive learning experience.

The bag or box issue. Just bring your own heavy duty bag. Hell, they'll sale you one real cheap and good quality.

You pay a yearly membership. Try to get a Business membership. I think all you need for that is a business card with your name on it.
Business membership has a discount.

If you don't go, then you've wasted your money for the membership.
You CAN get deals, regardless what others have said.
You CAN save buying bulk, and wait until you get to the bakery section: OMG! It's paradise. 16 pack of bagels. 16 pack of muffins. 16 pack of croissants. OMG!!

Did I say CHEESE!? Gorgonzola!! Goat Cheese! Big block knock someone over the head and kill them size motha's!!

Need cleaners? Great place to buy bulk. Laundry detergent, floor cleaner for mopping...blah blah blah.....

It's quite an experience walking up and down all the isles and you can't go wrong if you try it out for at least a year.
Don't like it? Then don't renew your membership. Easy enough.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
Hey TG!!! LTNS!

Paper towels ~ use cloth towels. Wash them. Reuse them.
Meat ~ try to find a local coop. The cow isn't usually pumped full of hormones and is fed a healthier diet.
Veggies ~ grow a garden. You get FRESH! veggies (that you can freeze if you're set on having those :)) and it's not much work.

What little work there is reduces stress because it gives ya some time away from your problems. Just a little happy place in the corner of your yard.

Unless you're one of those people that considers gardening "manual labor". In that case, don't bother. The weeds alone would cause us to see you on the news for going postal in your neighborhood.

TopGrey

Family
Founder
Jul 30, 2008
NC mountains
^^^ and ^^^
^^^ both are right. We did our first raised garden this year: beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, banana and cayenne peppers, green bell peppers, watermelon and cantaloupe (cantaloupe grown from seeds we got from one that we ate). I'm not much of a gardener and that's what is so cool, they still grew!! The biggest expense was building the raised garden boxes. We had to do this due to the layout of our yard and to keep the goats and chickens out of the garden (did I tell ya we had goats---fuckers eat everything but what you want them too). But to mitigate the cost of building the boxes we compost for our garden soil, so next year will be a net gain from the garden. We also have the chickens, 8 total, with 5 of them old enough to produce an average of 4 eggs a day. We give these away to friends, family, and neighbors for future bartering leverage ;). Soon, all 8 will be laying averaging 6~7 eggs daily. Around here a dozen cage free brown eggs go for around 3 bucks. Unfortunately not all live where they can have chickens. No plans for the goats.

KK's plan for the Big Box Stores is about as accurate an assessment as I've seen. Only real problem with BBS is you may not have the room for the bulk quantities, though. I think we're using the same tub of laundry detergent from a year ago.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
We ...... keep ........chickens ........ we compost for our garden soil
These two (well the poo anyway not the chickens) make for an AWESOME garden.
I don't have my chickens anymore (I think I said that last time we talked about chickens) but, I'll tell ya what...

I tore down the chicken run, tilled the soil and planted the seeds.
The vegetables practically EXPLODED out of the ground.
My corn was 7 feet tall this year and had an average of 3 ears per stalk.....before ANYONE around here even had tassles on their corn.

Tomatoes?
Some plants are 4 feet tall (no shit... I've never seen plants that tall) bushed out like crazy and have stalks/stems 2 fingers thick.

The ones I planted where I normally plant (by my lake in a raised bed that allows for drainage....clay sucks for that) only got the usual couple feet high, aren't as lush or thick and don't produce tomatoes as large or in the quantity per plant.

I just picked a cucumber that weighed almost TWO pounds. It was hidden in a thick area and I had completely missed it till today.
Inedible, I'm sure...got too big... but JESUS... it looks like a baby watermelon.

Got all my corn off already. Gonna spread some of the chicken poo that's left, re-till the area and plant some more corn.

Long ass rant short... chicken poo is superman gardening material.

TopGrey

Family
Founder
Jul 30, 2008
NC mountains
Yah, chicken shit is the shit, although it's too "hot" for the garden or compost at first, you have to let it sit for awhile on its own (usually in the bedding mix). But after that it grows grows grows. The goat poo is awesome for the garden, too.