Advice Needed

SittinGrumpy

A few of you read my bitch in the out of work bum thread about needing to get back into my field. I have been thinking and reading and researching job searches, networking etc.

If not, here it is. A headhunter told me that I just as soon be unemployed for these two years as to work in a job that is not in my field. I have not worked in my field for 2 1/2 years but I have been in school pursing my masters in my field for almost 2 years, in which I have maintained a 4.0 GPA.

From the time I was 18 until 2007 every job I had I had been recommended by someone or started as a temp. I have never had to network because the people who recommended me knew me because of school or family etc. In 2007, I was offered a job because someone found my resume on monster... so one way or another the jobs found me.

I was reading today on a headhunter site that most people get the job because they know someone. Since I have never had to go meet people in my field I wanted to turn to some of you and see how you have networked.

The question is simple, what have you done to network in your career? Are there organizations you have joined?

Please either take this serious or just do not bother. I am asking for real advice.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Send resume's out left and right. Just because they don't contact you immediately, doesn't mean they won't hold onto it and contact you at a later date.

Volunteer to do friends and neighbors tax returns for a small fee. In other words, word of mouth does spread and get around.

SittinGrumpy

Send resume's out left and right. Just because they don't contact you immediately, doesn't mean they won't hold onto it and contact you at a later date.

Volunteer to do friends and neighbors tax returns for a small fee. In other words, word of mouth does spread and get around.

I have sent out 1,232 resume's in 3 years. I do have my own tax business that I have built over the years. Tax and accounting for corporate business is different.

SittinGrumpy

Then I don't see a problem.
According to the headhunter I spoke with, I am fucked because I am not working in my field, however, I am not working in my field because I cannot find a job in it. So, what I read today was to network....

How do you network, I have never had to network, where would i start?

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I do have my own tax business that I have built over the years.
Firstly, you have your own business. You are Freelance.
This SHOULD go into your resume. Just because you are Freelance, does not mean that it does not count as work.

Secondly, you should have told this woman about your Freelance work experience. She does not need to know the frequency of your work. Just the fact that you've done it and are doing it. This work of yours IS working in your own field.

Thirdly, build on what you've already created. Networking is going to start from you, not them.
Advertise, spread the word, make business cards, sale yourself. From this, things will start to fall into place, but you've got to make the move first and be hungry for it.

Half-assing it won't get you anyplace.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
It's all about wording on your resume. You aren't free-lancing. You're a consultant.

Networking is where you find other people in your field of work, and befriend them, kiss their ass a little bit, etc. Get known in the circles you want to be in. This includes internet forums, but largely stuff in the local area. Get involved in activities they are involved in (whether it be a committee somewhere, or a golf club, whatever).

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Your head hunter is retarded. If you've been schooling toward a masters in your former field it does count. My guess is he's using it as an excuse because there aren't jobs available. Tell me this. . .is this a guy you pay to find a job or is it a deal where the employer pays to find an employee?

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
I know what it is.... I just am completely lost (other than google) on how to find these groups or ways to network with this career field.

This kind.
Ok. . this kind of head hunter really isn't a head hunter. They act like they are working to help the employee but they usually just have a list of companies they contract with and try to fill their spots. Usually they specialize in a type of industry as well.

You're much better off today contacting a company your interested in and contacting their HR.

As far as networking goes. There are groups like BNI that you can do breakfast, lunch, etc. They are actually formed to have a business get a lead on customers. They only let one type of business in. But I've found that usually those people have the in when it comes to their company or other companies hiring. I'd also look up like the Lions Club, Optimist, Rotary International, Kiwanis and a lot of areas now have a young professionals club through the chamber that is for 30-40 year old business type people.

Zeabot

Californium
Founder
Oct 25, 2013
How do you network, I have never had to network, where would i start?
I'm not 100% sure what your field is (I'm new and haven't trolled through the forums too much), but I'm willing to bet there is a professional organization for you. This professional organization should have some sort of section for job seekers and, if not, they will have at least some contacts.

Another good trick is emailing or calling people in your field. Whether it is the HR rep for a company that hires mostly people in your field (IE an accounting firm for accountants) or, sticking with the accountant example, the accountant for Acme Industries. Sending out resumes is cool and all, but nothing in this world tops human contact.

Also, your head hunter is an idiot.

SittinGrumpy

Now get off your ass and get it done already. Damn women.
This is on my to-do list for tomorrow. I had to make a to-do list for my vacation lol right now I am studying for a commercial law midterm, which I shall finish tonight, then I will be school free for a few days.