Another e-mailing scam

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I'm not clear how this one works. It looks too obvious, as in giving over my private information.........is there a catch I'm not getting?

Found in my Spam folder:

This is to officially inform you that you have been accredited and awarded an
ATM card valued at 250,000 usd with card number 5855 419 231101 678 and with an
identification code number 3800 do contact the activating office
(onlinetins@sify.com) with the below information:
Name:..
Contact Address:...
Phone:..

Regards
ATM CARD OFFICE
onlinetins@sify.com

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
Looks official and correct to me. You should definitely send your personal information.

Gawd, things like that never happen to me, you lucky lucky bastard.

SlimSkeeter

LOL ^^

What amazes me is that there are obviously enough idiots out there for these to work at some point or another, or they would simply fall by the wayside as outdated and useless.

Titty

Proud White Boy
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Where the sun doesn't shine
I'm astounded that there are actually people who think they've won something/been left executor of an estate/etc, yet their identity is a complete mystery to those looking to award their windfall, and the only communication is via an email that gets automatically dumped in their spam folder.

There's a reason identity theft is so prevalent.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
So, what exactly can be done if some fool decides to give this information away?

I can see where you could be harassed, stalked, spied on, but I don't see how they can get the money.........

What kind of fraud could be committed from this??

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Potential victims will be asked to contact the "agent" and supply information such as name, occupation and contact details. They may also be asked to provide ID such as a scan of a driver's license or passport, ostensibly to verify their identity and authenticate their claim to the funds. However, this personal information along with other data collected during the course of the scam, may be subsequently used to steal the victim's identity.

Moreover, victims will be asked to pay an upfront fee that is supposedly required before the ATM card can be released. The scammers use a variety of excuses - such as processing or insurance obligations - to explain why such fees are necessary. Those who comply and actually send the requested fee will most likely receive further requests for money. In the particular scam sequence discussed here, the scammers claim that a fee of $135 is required, supposedly for "re-newing and reconfirmation" of the victim's file.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Potential victims will be asked to contact the "agent" and supply information such as name, occupation and contact details. They may also be asked to provide ID such as a scan of a driver's license or passport, ostensibly to verify their identity and authenticate their claim to the funds. However, this personal information along with other data collected during the course of the scam, may be subsequently used to steal the victim's identity.

Moreover, victims will be asked to pay an upfront fee that is supposedly required before the ATM card can be released. The scammers use a variety of excuses - such as processing or insurance obligations - to explain why such fees are necessary. Those who comply and actually send the requested fee will most likely receive further requests for money. In the particular scam sequence discussed here, the scammers claim that a fee of $135 is required, supposedly for "re-newing and reconfirmation" of the victim's file.
OK, got it. Thanks.........