Anyone know about cats here?

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone here know about cats?

We took in a stray in June. He was a kitten and very loving. Well, he turned into a mean ass. He would steal food (I understood this as he probably fought for his food if he had much at all) and growl when I would take it away. He has since stopped that, thank god.

However, he likes to attack. My boyfriend can be sitting in a chair playing or watching tv and this cat gets him good. We can't even look at him in the eye without him making this evil meow and attacking us. He jumps on the bed, attacks and runs. Hell, he even attacks when you walk somewhere. At first I chalked it up to him being playful. But he goes for blood! He attacks, runs away, comes back.. and does it all over again.

Is there anyway to train a damn cat? Or do you think I am stuck with this mean ass attitude?

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Gaaa ... cats. I hate em.

Absinthe, on the other hand, would have a bazillion of them around if our dogs were cat compatible. She may have some insight into it.

My advice: Punch it in the face.
LOL, you would say that. He got my boyfriend pretty bad the other day.. so he went, grabbed the little turd, and put his head under the bathroom faucet in cold water. I don't believe in animal cruelty, though. =\

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Sounds like the attacking thing is his way of playing.

He's still young and full of energy.

Let him do his thing and also, in return, give it back to him to let him know how it feels. Also, if you play hard back with him, it tires him out faster and he will give up earlier and behave himself.

Don't forget to play him a recording of the Purina Cat Chow commercial, found here:

[video=youtube;w61MMp7f1-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w61MMp7f1-4&feature=related[/video]

Jul 4, 2010
Virginia USA
Water bottle? That's worked for me, but I've never had a cat that attacked that much. Your little guy is still a young cat, so he may think he's playing and just doesn't know boundaries yet. The time he spent as a stray probably made him scrappy, too. You can try the bottle, see if it deters him, and if not... well, I guess punch him in the face. :tongue:

I LOVE cats, but my husband hates them too. :(

Also, if you play hard back with him, it tires him out faster and he will give up earlier and behave himself.
This is true. Does he have toys? A scratching post? Maybe he'll redirect his playfulness/aggression and wear himself out. One of those dangly feather things would probably hold his attention for a long time.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Thanks, Kommie.. I figured he was just overly playful..but crap.. he goes for blood. I was laying in bed and he jumped up and clawed me in the face. If I had my eyes open, I would have got scratched in the eye. The UPS guy came and he jumped on the package and got the guys arm.

I took him to the vet because his urine smelled horrid. Hes the only cat I ever had that would stink up my house using the litter box. And I asked the vet about this and he said that Bandit is hyper aggressive and hopefully it dies down with age.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Water bottle? That's worked for me, but I've never had a cat that attacked that much. Your little guy is still a young cat, so he may think he's playing and just doesn't know boundaries yet. The time he spent as a stray probably made him scrappy, too. You can try the bottle, see if it deters him, and if not... well, I guess punch him in the face. :tongue:

I LOVE cats, but my husband hates them too. :(

This is true. Does he have toys? A scratching post? Maybe he'll redirect his playfulness/aggression and wear himself out. One of those dangly feather things would probably hold his attention for a long time.
I tried water bottle. I kept a spray bottle right next to my bed..and everytime I pull it out, he runs..comes back, and starts up again.. lol. I have the cat from hell. He has toys. He prefers going in my garbage and taking garbage to play with. I have tiny garbage cans in all my rooms, and he knocks them all down just to get whats inside. =( lol

Jul 4, 2010
Virginia USA
I took him to the vet because his urine smelled horrid. Hes the only cat I ever had that would stink up my house using the litter box. And I asked the vet about this and he said that Bandit is hyper aggressive and hopefully it dies down with age.
Between the super stinky urine and aggression I wonder if he might be ill. Did the vet say why his urine was so foul? Cats are pretty sensitive to illness and act all out of sorts. They stop grooming, they turn into bastards... etc. It most likely is just a maturity issue and something he'll grow out of, but it doesn't make it better for you right now.

I'm guessing verbal scolding doesn't work? I heard once that a tactic to use to stop behavior is to put some change into an empty tin can and whenever the animal acts up, just shake it. They don't like the loud noise and they learn to associate the behavior with something they don't like.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Between the super stinky urine and aggression I wonder if he might be ill. Did the vet say why his urine was so foul? Cats are pretty sensitive to illness and act all out of sorts. They stop grooming, they turn into bastards... etc. It most likely is just a maturity issue and something he'll grow out of, but it doesn't make it better for you right now.

I'm guessing verbal scolding doesn't work? I heard once that a tactic to use to stop behavior is to put some change into an empty tin can and whenever the animal acts up, just shake it. They don't like the loud noise and they learn to associate the behavior with something they don't like.
He had a UTI. The vet gave him a shot of antibiotics. Im going to try the tin can thing. You see, when you annoy him.. he doesn't forget. he comes right after you..LOL. But I am going to try that! I notice he gets worse if he has no food in his bowl. He's just a little fuck. =\ Some days I want to get rid of him but then I realize that no one will put up with it...and he'll either wind up in a small cage at the shelter, or in the street..and I do love this little furball enough to want him to have a good life. My animal, my responsibility. I had 3 other cats..they were only aggressive to other animals.. but they were females. This is new to me, lol

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
One of two things. You have a cat who is a dominate cat and he's pretty much showing you he's in charge with his attacks and behavior. My guess is he rubs up to you purring most of the time and then attacks. When a cat rubs on you. . he's not saying he loves you. . he's marking his territory. My guess would also be he's pissing in other places around the house. Check under your couch and bed.

Two. . cats are acutely aware of spirits. If your aura is bad they can also pick up on that. Have you ever notice some people animals are drawn to and others not so much. That's part of it. The cat is feeding off of you. Also .. . your grandma has a tendency to fuck with you a bit. She was a cantankerous old lady to put it nicely. I think your cat is picking up on her spirit who's looking for a necklace she liked and thinks you took it.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
How old is the cat? I am guessing ~ 1 year or a bit less. You used "he" so I am assuming it's a male. Is he neutered? I can imagine at least half of the male members here just cringed... hehehe

But seriously, if he is not neutered get it done ASAP.

The extra stinky pee and the aggression could come from him reaching maturity:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2136274_understand-sexual-maturity-male-cats.html

I heard once that a tactic to use to stop behavior is to put some change into an empty tin can and whenever the animal acts up, just shake it. They don't like the loud noise and they learn to associate the behavior with something they don't like.
Yep, that could work too. You could shake the can and than drop it on the floor. Don't throw it at the cat.

Bandit is hyper aggressive and hopefully it dies down with age.
Sorry, but that's a lame answer... What did he mean... "with age"? When the cat is 12 years?

One of those dangly feather things would probably hold his attention for a long time.
Laser pointer!! Our dogs go nuts when they see that thing... hehehe...

so he went, grabbed the little turd, and put his head under the bathroom faucet in cold water.
Ok, I am not getting into a long reply to this event, but this was just wrong...

In a nut shell:
Get the cat neutered. Give him time to adjust to the changes in his hormone levels. Maybe even research the food you are feeding him and see what quality it is. Maybe you need to change his diet. When he is a bit older, you may want to consider getting him a friend to play with. A female would be best to avoid fights.

Also... do not physically punish a cat. They don't forget. EVER...

Absinthe, on the other hand, would have a bazillion of them around if our dogs were cat compatible
Well, Duh....

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Insecure cat. Even if it IS play, the need to torment you means he's insecure/anxious. He needs to learn appropriate play and boundaries.

First of all, neuter him.

cats HATE citrus. for the really bad stuff (blood drawing, pooping or peeing in the wrong area), put some bac out diluted with water in a very misty spray bottle and spritz in his general direction or over him (not on) when he is being terrible. It's a very unpleasant odor and will make him want to submit.

He needs his own area. I have two cats, one is a dominant female and her 'area' is downstairs she decided. My other boy cat is much larger but *very* anxious and insecure. He has to have his litter box upstairs in the corner of my sewing room. He has to have high areas with blankies and whatnot for him to snuggle in and feel safe and removed from everything and everyone. Before all this, he would randomly attack his favorite child of mine. Not because he's mean, but because he was freaked out and lashed out at my son.

WHEN he gets startled at simple things like a loud shutting of the door or a scream from chilluns, etc. Calm him down immediately, talking to him in a neutral tone, petting mainly around the head and neck. Insecure cats need to know you are not upset at them.. pretty much constantly. It's annoying, but it works.

Anywhere he has done a no-no, like scratched the furniture, pooped, peed, etc. Spray the bac-out water all over. It's a reminder when he passes by that area that it's off limits.

USE the scruff. It calms them down. If you have to, just sit next to him, holding his scruff until his breathing slows and he has calmed down. Slowly release.. if he growls, jumps, or swipes, tighten down again. Repeat until you're able to fully let go, pet him, and get a purr.

Animals are a lot like kids, they rail against the "rules" because they're asking for clear cut boundaries. Don't answer with leniency.

Does he have an area for solitary confinement? If not, he needs to. This space needs to be off limits to everyone but him - all the time.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
One of two things. You have a cat who is a dominate cat and he's pretty much showing you he's in charge with his attacks and behavior. My guess is he rubs up to you purring most of the time and then attacks. When a cat rubs on you. . he's not saying he loves you. . he's marking his territory. My guess would also be he's pissing in other places around the house. Check under your couch and bed.

Two. . cats are acutely aware of spirits. If your aura is bad they can also pick up on that. Have you ever notice some people animals are drawn to and others not so much. That's part of it. The cat is feeding off of you. Also .. . your grandma has a tendency to fuck with you a bit. She was a cantankerous old lady to put it nicely. I think your cat is picking up on her spirit who's looking for a necklace she liked and thinks you took it.
Lol thanks..

He's not peeing anywhere else. thank god. I had that issue with my last cat..she was horrible..and then when the idiot left, he took her so shes been peeing on his shit. After he uses the litter box, it's just extra stinky urine. ugh.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
How old is the cat? I am guessing ~ 1 year or a bit less. You used "he" so I am assuming it's a male. Is he neutered? I can imagine at least half of the male members here just cringed... hehehe

But seriously, if he is not neutered get it done ASAP.

The extra stinky pee and the aggression could come from him reaching maturity:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2136274_understand-sexual-maturity-male-cats.html

Yep, that could work too. You could shake the can and than drop it on the floor. Don't throw it at the cat.

Sorry, but that's a lame answer... What did he mean... "with age"? When the cat is 12 years?

Laser pointer!! Our dogs go nuts when they see that thing... hehehe...

Ok, I am not getting into a long reply to this event, but this was just wrong...

In a nut shell:
Get the cat neutered. Give him time to adjust to the changes in his hormone levels. Maybe even research the food you are feeding him and see what quality it is. Maybe you need to change his diet. When he is a bit older, you may want to consider getting him a friend to play with. A female would be best to avoid fights.

Also... do not physically punish a cat. They don't forget. EVER...

Well, Duh....
Thanks! I'm planning on getting him fixed soon. He's almost a year I guess.. we got him when he was about 3 months old.
I agree with not physically punishing him. He doesn't remember! He always comes back to get someone who pushes him off a bed, or moves him out of the way.. I cant imagine him getting hit! When the vet told me that he's hyper aggressive and it will die doiwn with age, I made a mental note to find a new vet because there ARE ways to help him..and he just wasn't helpful.

Do you know anything about those rubber/plastic claw covers? I want to buy them for him but dont know if its a waste.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
find a new vet because there ARE ways to help him
Did the vet not even consider neutering the cat? I told my vet about your cat yesterday and that was exactly the first thing she asked. Shop around, ask friends and find a new vet...

Do you know anything about those rubber/plastic claw covers? I want to buy them for him but dont know if its a waste.
They exist, but personally I think these things are useless. All he will do is freak out. This will add to his stress level and he can even end up injuring himself. Don't waste your money.

You could look into herbs. I don't know if there are any herbs that will calm cats down, just research it thoroughly and read reviews on the products that are available. Another option is to redirect his "attention" from you to a toy spiced with Catnip, Valerian or Honeysuckle. Check out this site:

http://www.catniptoys.com/

Just be careful with any type of supplement.