Bass Guitars

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
My son wants a Bass Guitar for his birthday and he wants to take lessons for it. Does anyone here know about Guitars and which would be a good one to buy for first timer to learn on? I know nothing about this..

All I know is that my son has taken quite an interests in them and wants one desperately for his birthday.

Hardwood

Apr 25, 2008
You should ask BleedingV. Is he still a member here?
BleedingV is Gigman here.

My son wants a Bass Guitar for his birthday and he wants to take lessons for it. Does anyone here know about Guitars and which would be a good one to buy for first timer to learn on? I know nothing about this..

All I know is that my son has taken quite an interests in them and wants one desperately for his birthday.
The best thing you can do is find a teacher you like and get the input from him/her as to the best guitar to buy.

Titty

Proud White Boy
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Where the sun doesn't shine
Make sure it's a starter bass. They're scaled smaller for children. A full-sized bass would be too difficult for him to play. Basically, you can find kits that contain everything you'll need in one box for well under $200. Even places like Target have them. Being as it's his first instrument (and he'll likely break it anyway), there's really no need to buy an overpriced, branded bass. Naturally, if you walk into a music store, they'll try to sell you the most expensive one they have. If you go the instrument shop route, just ask to see their starter kits. A small store might not have but one or two (if any). The larger chains (not sure if there is a Daddy's, Guitar Center, Mars Music, etc in your area) will have a shitload to choose from. Choose the color and you're out the door. You don't need the extra shit they'll try to sell you, either. The bass, cords, amplifier, picks, strap, and even an introductory tutorial (most often book and cd-rom) are all contained within. Buying everything individually ends up costing much more- even used.

Hope this helps.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Make sure it's a starter bass. They're scaled smaller for children. A full-sized bass would be too difficult for him to play. Basically, you can find kits that contain everything you'll need in one box for well under $200. Even places like Target have them. Being as it's his first instrument (and he'll likely break it anyway), there's really no need to buy an overpriced, branded bass. Naturally, if you walk into a music store, they'll try to sell you the most expensive one they have. If you go the instrument shop route, just ask to see their starter kits. A small store might not have but one or two (if any). The larger chains (not sure if there is a Daddy's, Guitar Center, Mars Music, etc in your area) will have a shitload to choose from. Choose the color and you're out the door. You don't need the extra shit they'll try to sell you, either. The bass, cords, amplifier, picks, strap, and even an introductory tutorial (most often book and cd-rom) are all contained within. Buying everything individually ends up costing much more- even used.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I was planning on buying it in target because he's going to be five.. he doesnt need something that expensive that he'll lose interest in, or break. But its an awesome thing to learn and I think he'd really enjoy it.