Book Recommendations

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
A recent post in the Movie thread got me thinking we should have a book thread. I'm sure we actually used to have one... somewhere.

Yes, some of us do still read!-.. even in this day and age of modern technology! On that subject, I must get a Kindle so I can read on a computer...

Just kidding.

I actually love books. I have a wardrobe full.

What are you reading at the moment?

And what do you recommend that you have read already?

At the moment, I've just finished the second book in the Millennium Trilogy.. by Stieg Larsson. Now, you don't have to take my word for it, but the hype surrounding this trilogy is well deserved. I love it so much. It's brilliantly crafted, with a cast you actually care about... I finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo before Christmas and I received the second one "The Girl who played with Fire" as a Christmas gift. I've finished it already!

I am an avid reader once I get going, and it's very difficult to get me to put the book down, as I just go off into my own little world......

So, your turn!!

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Gaaaa ... don't get me started on that Kindle thingie ... Absinthe is practically fanatical about the damn thing.

Yep... I love my Kindle... yep yep...

But I do read an actual paperback right now: P.D. Martin - The Killing Hands

Main character is a female FBI profiler with some psychic skills. Her job is to profile the killer of a "John Doe". John Doe's identity is determined pretty soon and a short while after interesting twists and turns start to happen. I have not finished the book yet, but I am enjoying it.

Something I have read and HIGHLY recommend: J.R. Ward - The Black Dagger Brotherhood - if you are a fan of the Vampire Genre. There are eight books so far. If you are interested, start with the first book. A lot of the characters develop through the entire story line and not just one book.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Millennium Trilogy
Great books, sadly the film adaptions were pretty shit.
I'm hoping that the Hollywood production does it better.

I'm thinking of bying one actually! They look sweet!
And every book pre 1927 is free!

Some days ago I finished reading Khaled Hosseinis A Thousand Splendid Suns, which managed to be more gripping and fucking depressing than The Kite Runner (which I loved). It's a hard book to read, yet impossible to put away once you've started it.
It's about two women in Afghanistan during the various wars and Taliban regime.

These days I got an audio book that I listen to while I jogg. Mengele Zoo by Gert Nygårdshaug, a eco crime novel written in 1989. So far it seems pretty good.
It havent been translated to english though.

I also have a copy of the first part in a swedish triology, Snabba Cash (Easy money), but I forgot it in Bergen.
The movie adaption of it was, unsurprisingly, shit.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Some days ago I finished reading Khaled Hosseinis A Thousand Splendid Suns, which managed to be more gripping and fucking depressing than The Kite Runner (which I loved). It's a hard book to read, yet impossible to put away once you've started it. It's about two women in Afghanistan during the various wars and Taliban regime.

You've got me all kindsa interested now

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
You've got me all kindsa interested now
Read it, it's a great book.

Btw, here is what I wrote about his first book, The Kite Runner, in the other book thread.

When a tear felled down on one page it dragged me back into reality, where I sat in a sportsbar in Copenhagen airport. I ordered another beer, checked my watch and then proceeded to read, not giving a fuck if anyone was looking.

It's a beautiful book. Read it.
http://swollencranium.com/forums/showthread.php/1959-Book-Review-Time

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
The Painted Bird.
Do you think you could give some background information on it to make me want to read it (maybe like Absinthe and Scabby did?)

Scabman said:
Great books, sadly the film adaptions were pretty shit.
I'm hoping that the Hollywood production does it better.
That's a shame. I heard the first one was actually pretty good... according to Amazon reviews anyway. I heard it was "authentic" because the characters were not well known, and of course being in native Swedish. But I read good reviews where they said were terrified to think what Hollywood could come up with.... hmmmm. I guess I have to see it for myself to formulate an opinion. I nearly bought it on amazon the other day.

Absinthe said:
But I do read an actual paperback right now: P.D. Martin - The Killing Hands
Main character is a female FBI profiler with some psychic skills. Her job is to profile the killer of a "John Doe". John Doe's identity is determined pretty soon and a short while after interesting twists and turns start to happen. I have not finished the book yet, but I am enjoying it.
That sounds right up my street. I love crime/investigative fiction and criminal profiling is so interesting to me.

Scabman said:
They look sweet!
And every book pre 1927 is free!
Surely you can just download them from somewhere? Or are you paying for everying???

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
I heard the first one was actually pretty good.
It werent THAT bad, I'll admit, but I can't imagine that anyone who havent read the books would enjoy it. I found myself filling in the gaps myself, since they obviously had to cut away vast amounts of information and backstory.
Having to share the fantasticly unpleasant rape scene with a whole cinema was good though.

Swedes tend to be great at making action flicks, so I and others were just expecting a better finished product.

Surely you can just download them from somewhere?
Well, probably. But then I would have it on my computer instead, which doesnt have e-ink and only 8 hours battery time.
Also, with kinde I could download these free books via 3G anywhere in the world for no cost!

Or are you paying for everying???
LOL!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
You said books pre-1927 are free with Kindle. What I MEANT to say is... they all are... surely you can just find somewhere to download them?
You can download e-books directly to a kindle.... I don't even know what you're talking about.
Grrrrr.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
You said books pre-1927 are free with Kindle. What I MEANT to say is... they all are... surely you can just find somewhere to download them?
Aaah, I see.
Still, have you tried to read entire books on the PDF format on a regular computer? It's pretty shit. So, I rather have the e-ink that the kindle provides.

You can download e-books directly to a kindle.... I don't even know what you're talking about.
Grrrrr.
Yeah, without the kindle being hooked into anything, through the miracle of 3G! You know, the thing that makes it possible for cellphones to communicate with each other? Yaysies!
Also, the 3G wireless is free in over 100 countries.

So, if I were to sit in a cafe in Rome, Stavanger or Malaga perhaps, and wanted to read, say, A Tale of Two Cities, then I could instantly download it without it costing me a penny!
Or, I could download Charlie Brookers The Hell of it All, and let them charge 12 bucks on my credit card.

I really want one, I realize now.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Aaah, I see.
Still, have you tried to read entire books on the PDF format on a regular computer? It's pretty shit. So, I rather have the e-ink that the kindle provides.

Yeah, without the kindle being hooked into anything, through the miracle of 3G! You know, the thing that makes it possible for cellphones to communicate with each other? Yaysies!
Also, the 3G wireless is free in over 100 countries.

So, if I were to sit in a cafe in Rome, Stavanger or Malaga perhaps, and wanted to read, say, A Tale of Two Cities, then I could instantly download it without it costing me a penny!
Or, I could download Charlie Brookers The Hell of it All, and let them charge 12 bucks on my credit card.

I really want one, I realize now.
I bought one for the little lady for X-mas. She loves it. Plus if you buy a book you can loan it to a friend for 14 days. You can't read it during that time but they'll have it loaded onto their kindle and then when done it will be back on yours.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Plus if you buy a book you can loan it to a friend for 14 days.
That must be a newer feature. I tried doing this with a friend a while back and it didn't work.

surely you can just find somewhere to download them?
Check this out: Project Gutenberg
You can download books in all kind of formats. Even for the Kindle... and it's free...

through the miracle of 3G
I have the first gen Kindle. No 3G. Works fine. Downloads are pretty quick. Personally, I think 3G is overkill...

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
The Painted Bird. Do you think you could give some background information on it to make me want to read it (maybe like Absinthe and Scabby did?)
No.

The Painted Bird is a controversial 1965 novel by Jerzy Kosiński which describes the world as seen by a young boy, "considered a Gypsy or Jewish stray," who wanders about small towns scattered around Central or Eastern Europe (presumably Poland) during World War II.

The book describes the wandering boy's encounters with peasants engaged in all forms of sexual and social deviance such as incest, bestiality and rape, and in a huge amount of violence exciting a form of lust.<sup id="cite_ref-PR_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> The book title was drawn from an incident within its content. The boy, while in the company of a professional bird catcher, observes how the man took one of his captured birds and painted it several colors. Then he released the bird to fly in search of a flock of its kin, but when it came upon them, they saw it as an intruder and tore at the bird until it fell from the sky.

Wiesel wrote in The New York Times Book Review that it was: "One of the best... Written with deep sincerity and sensitivity"

Yeah, I don't have the time, energy, or patience to write out all ^ that in my own words.

It's an awesome book. I don't re-read many books. I've read this one several times.

It is not your typical wwII type book. It focuses on something other than the plight of the jews. It's simply about the kid and his experiences.

My FAVORITE scene is (spoiler alert - ew - warning) when a group of backwoods freaks kill a big, fat woman with glass up the twat. OMG! It's one of those intense moments when human society just makes sense in a disturbing way.

Redline

Noob a little less
Jan 10, 2011
My favorite book I've read in the few years is 'I Know This Much Is True' by Wally Lamb. It's about brothers who are identical twins and one of them is a paranoid-schizophrenic who thinks he's been chosen by God to "show mankind the error of its ways," I think is how the book puts it, while it shows the struggles and sacrifices the other brother goes through to take care of him. Theres tons more, but thats the basic underlying plot. It's extremely long
(it's the longest book I've read that I can honestly say doesn't really get slow at any point) so its hard to write a synopsis that would do it justice. I will say that I picked it up on a sunday afternoon and called in sick monday so I could finish it.