CB Radio

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
Does anyone even use CB radio anymore? I know my father's got some old CB equipment laying around the house, and I'm considering getting a chrome-faced CB radio for the Montego. I've always found using a radio a lot easier while driving than yammering on a cell phone while driving, so its definitely got some pros. Cons, on the other hand, would include crowded channels full of assholes. But that's only if anyone uses CB anymore.

Any input?

SlimSkeeter

I have some old CB equipment. There are a few people around here that actually use that particular mode of communication, still. A lot of time its oillfield workers and volunteer emergency personnel, but I have a few friends who hooked them up, as well. Its a dying art, kind of.

I remember being stuck with my dad way back when I was a young lad, and the only people we could raise on the CB were in Florida... Mind you, we are in Michigan.

SittinGrumpy

I use to love my CB! I think here there are still a lot of users between truck drivers and country boys.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Ehh, I think its more a novelty anymore.

The price of units and sundry equipment Vs a usable commo device over a distance greater than 10 miles is not worth it in my opinion especially when one can get a prepaid phone for $50 and talk world wide.

So yeah, it would be like going with an 8 track player .. the thing is only good for shits and giggles.

Side note:

I remember that one time the Space shuttle did a test of the CB band and talked to a few truckers on I-10. This was a hoot .. and ironically a herald of its demise.

( can't remember the exact date or particulars though ^^ )

SittinGrumpy

...especially when one can get a prepaid phone for $50 and talk world wide.
The cell and the CB satisfy two completely different wants/needs...with a cellphone you cannot pick it up and talk to strangers 24 hours a day.

So yeah, it would be like going with an 8 track player .. the thing is only good for shits and giggles.
If the 8 track is the only way you could hear the type of music you like...it would have a purpose.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
The cell and the CB satisfy two completely different wants/needs...with a cellphone you cannot pick it up and talk to strangers 24 hours a day.

If the 8 track is the only way you could hear the type of music you like...it would have a purpose.

Did you miss the words "my opinion" better yet .. judging by your response you did not read my statements at all.

Move along now, grown folks is talking.

SittinGrumpy

Did you miss the words "my opinion" better yet .. judging by your response you did not read my statements at all.

Move along now, grown folks is talking.
I did read the entire post....and gave an opinion of why I believe your opinion to be completely out in left field and makes no sense at all.

The grown folks stopped talk when you spoke up.