Chinese Fried Chicken

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Cran wanted a recipe for this chicken, so I'll post it publicly.

Tsa Ji Gai
炸子雞

Means something like Young fried chicken in the Chinese characters.

Ingredients
2 1/2-3 lbs chicken, cut in 8 pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce(I use low sodium)
1 tablespoon sherry wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 scallion, including the green top cut into 2 inch pieces and split in half
1/2 inch gingerroot, crushed
3 cups peanut oil(for frying)or use useother oil
1/2 cup flour
Directions

Chop the 8 chicken pieces (2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 breast halves) into 2-inch pieces cutting across the bones.

Rinse chicken, drain and pat with paper towels.

In a large bowl combine next 6 ingredients (soy sauce- ginger), stirring until salt& sugar dissolve.

Add chicken to bowl, tossing so all the pieces are coated with mixture.

Marinate for 1-2 hours at room temperature or overnight in refrigerator.

Drain marinade and discard.

Wipe chicken pices dry with paper towels.

Pour the oil into wok or deep-fryer and heat over med high heat until oil forms a haze or it registers 375-degrees F on deep frying thermoter.

Put flour in plastic or paper baggies.

Add chicken and shake well to coat chicken evenly.

Drop chicken pieces in hot oil, turning frequently for 5 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.

Do not crowd pan, as chicken pieces finish cooking drain on paper towels until all the chicken is done.

Drain well on paper towels.

Note: I have been told numerous times by my Chinese aquantances that this dish is NOT SO EASY as it looks to cook.

Good luck!
好運!

semj_gandel

Dude!
Jul 30, 2009
kansas
this recipe would be good but i just dont like the taste of soy sauce but ill pass this on to my mother who i think would love it

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Did you like it?

I have to say it looks seriously yummy. I love Chinese foods. :laugh:

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
LOL wtf... this is from July last year. Surely it doesn't take sooooo long to get round to things!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
We're talking about a TASK here.

I haven't been on a schedule in almost 4 years.
It's not a task (or chore) if you're going to enjoy it!

That said, it better taste as good as it looks....! I am gonna try it next time I go food shopping. Ya.

Firestorm

n00b
Founder
May 7, 2008
Somewhere
Sounds good, I'm going to take a shot at it, but leaving out the soy sauce. Any ideas on a lower salt alternative?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Cran wanted a recipe for this chicken, so I'll post it publicly.

Note: I have been told numerous times by my Chinese aquantances that this dish is NOT SO EASY as it looks to cook.
Made it today. The only thing I changed was I omitted the cherry and increased the cooking time.

FIVE minutes for chicken is a NO GO for me. The oil would have to be 500F in order to cook a bone in chicken properly if one is using only 5 minutes.

I went easily 15 minutes @ around 375F oil.

As you can clearly see MINE does NOT resemble the original.

I gave it to my boy .. he is not dead. So then I ate some !!

All in all I give it an "ehh". The one I prepared was not special in any way from any other variation of FRIED chicken I've had. The spices worked well and were discernible but not over powering.

I'll not be making it again BUT would be willing to try it from someone that can make it look like the original pics.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
I omitted the cherry
Which was probably a good idea. However, I think you should have either bought some Sherry or used the red wine we have left in the fridge. This would have added to the color. The original chicken actually looks a bit more glazed than fried.

SittinGrumpy

why isn't this in the let's cook thread? :(

*feels rejected*