Common Courtesy

SlimSkeeter

What the hell ever happened to common courtesy? If someone holds a door open on a snowy assed day, taking their time out to make it easier for you, is it really so much to utter even a half-assed "thanks"? Its one damn word, you don't even have to really mean it, but it would actually make it worthwhile for the jackass holding the door. Sorry, but this only gets worse around Xmas time, which is why its buggin me now.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
What the hell ever happened to common courtesy? If someone holds a door open on a snowy assed day, taking their time out to make it easier for you, is it really so much to utter even a half-assed "thanks"? Its one damn word, you don't even have to really mean it, but it would actually make it worthwhile for the jackass holding the door. Sorry, but this only gets worse around Xmas time, which is why its buggin me now.
I understand where you are coming from, but I don't let it get to me. I really wouldn't take everything personal or get frustrated so easily because stress kills my dear.;)

I usually just shrug it off. I got mad once because this lady had twins, and she was trying to get all this junk out of her trunk, so my husband and I stopped to help her. We asked if she needed help, she said yes and we grabbed the bags and helped her into the building. She didn't say thank you. I was bitching a bit afterward but my husband told me to chill, and I did. He had a point, he said "Is your life really over because someone didn't thank you?"
When people do it now, I just shrug it off.

The only thing that PISSES me off now is when I'm getting out of an elevator, and people try to rush in at the same time. It's like, you're supposed to wait for people to get out first. Or when you're walking out a door, and someone tries to go in the same time. UGH lol

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Common courtesy went out of style when society started telling people that everything is about self. We no longer feel the need to live as a group, only as individuals. Everything has become all about "me" and we are only concerned about what "I" need.

The next time you hold a door open for someone who does not say thank you, tell them loudly "your very fucking welcome" (I have done it). It gets their attention and might teach them some manners.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Common courtesy went out of style when society started telling people that everything is about self. We no longer feel the need to live as a group, only as individuals. Everything has become all about "me" and we are only concerned about what "I" need.

The next time you hold a door open for someone who does not say thank you, tell them loudly "your very fucking welcome" (I have done it). It gets their attention and might teach them some manners.
I wouldn't be so rude.

Where I live, there are mostly polish and Arabic people and the older people come straight from their countries. Sometimes you have to remember that maybe they don't do it there, and they're not used to it here.

I certainly wouldn't curse like that for a reason as stupid like that. Just next time, if/when you see that person, don't hold the door open anymore.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Haha!
I was just talking about this with my mom.
I was brought up with hardcore manners, but ever since i moved here I've noticed that people don't do shit for each other, so when i do do shit like help a elderly person put their groceries in their car i get weird looks like either i have some sick twisted old lady fetish or I'm some how trying to rob her. It's just not healthy.

I think proper manners have slowly been bred out of people throughout the years, after all, as a parent you lead by example, if you don't have manners chances are your kids won't and so on.

Either way if i ever have midgets i am going to make damn sure they are going to be the yes ma'am no ma'am kinda kids. haha

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
I wouldn't be so rude.

Where I live, there are mostly polish and Arabic people and the older people come straight from their countries. Sometimes you have to remember that maybe they don't do it there, and they're not used to it here.

I certainly wouldn't curse like that for a reason as stupid like that. Just next time, if/when you see that person, don't hold the door open anymore.
Where I live mostly red necks do this... so I cuss at 'em. That's what they understand.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Where I live mostly red necks do this... so I cuss at 'em. That's what they understand.
When I was in NC, I found the people to be very kind and polite. I had one lady hand my son some purell after seeing us come out of the gas station rest room. And everyone said hello to us when they looked our way.

But that was in Charlotte. I know every state has it's bad spots.

SlimSkeeter

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't let it get to me. I really wouldn't take everything personal or get frustrated so easily because stress kills my dear.;)

I usually just shrug it off. I got mad once because this lady had twins, and she was trying to get all this junk out of her trunk, so my husband and I stopped to help her. We asked if she needed help, she said yes and we grabbed the bags and helped her into the building. She didn't say thank you. I was bitching a bit afterward but my husband told me to chill, and I did. He had a point, he said "Is your life really over because someone didn't thank you?"
When people do it now, I just shrug it off.

The only thing that PISSES me off now is when I'm getting out of an elevator, and people try to rush in at the same time. It's like, you're supposed to wait for people to get out first. Or when you're walking out a door, and someone tries to go in the same time. UGH lol
Jenn, honey, the only reason its getting to me now is that its "The Season of Giving" and all that jazz and for some reason people are worse now than at any other time. Several in one day, actually, as I was finishing my xmas shopping and had it happen.

I tend to omit the f-bomb because thats a word that gets overused (but thats another thread) and sometimes I get a response such as "Oh, I'm so sorry! Thank you!" which is extremely hollow coming after the fact.

Haha!
I was just talking about this with my mom.
I was brought up with hardcore manners, but ever since i moved here I've noticed that people don't do shit for each other, so when i do do shit like help a elderly person put their groceries in their car i get weird looks like either i have some sick twisted old lady fetish or I'm some how trying to rob her. It's just not healthy.

I think proper manners have slowly been bred out of people throughout the years, after all, as a parent you lead by example, if you don't have manners chances are your kids won't and so on.

Either way if i ever have midgets i am going to make damn sure they are going to be the yes ma'am no ma'am kinda kids. haha
Me too!

The funny part is, on my shift where I work (3rd shift factory work, to remind all of you), its ALL MALE and I hear more "thank-yous" from them for doing little crap than I have ever heard outside work.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Why is it referred to as "common" courtesy and not simply courtesy? Seriously, why? Is it really supposed to be that common? Just like common sense isn't always so common, why should courtesy be any different.
I really don't expect anyone to be courteous to me. Then again, I'm a product of the "me" generation like I read above, so other people's demeanors and attitudes, do not concern me.
(But I can at least recognize that other people would like it. I wouldn't consider health care as a profession if I was incapable of courtesy.)