Cooking with Gary.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC

Being an unemployed bum allows me plenty of time to do things I enjoy around the home front.

The month of February I have decided to cook a different meal every day of the work week. I'm aiming for "different" and avoiding the common. Keep in mind that US 'common' meals are as varied as the entire world because we are, after all, a Nation of filthy immigrants. But yes .. there are certain distinctly "American" foods.

I have three goals:

1. Not to make the same meal twice in February.

2. Make a meal that did not originate in the US and/or not cook a US variant of a meal that originated in another country.

3. To go with fresh foods in each day's meals with an emphasis of calorie counting and portion control.

So for today I will cook the following:

Falafel ( The chick pea variety )

Greek Salad.

And for dessert;

Orange Kuglehopf cake

With that said and shopping lists in hand; I'm off to the grocery !!

SlimSkeeter

What a cop out...you picked the shortest month of the whole year!!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Gratitious bicep shot = WIN.

Now, show me the cookings!!!

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Note:

Buying the ingredients for the day of the meal, in quantities only for THAT meal = prohibitively expensive.

I spent $73 today .. for tonight's dinner time.

I will keep a tally for each day.

Up until about 75 years ago one rarely found the common man to be a fat out of shape bastard, because he had to work sun up to sun down in order to afford his sustenance. Also one commonly found the wealthy to be somewhat rotund and this was often seen as a sign of being well-to-do because only the wealthy could afford an abundance of foods.

Today the opposite is true... as I picked the freshest produce and the purest of ingredients I could find and came up with a $75 receipt. I could eat for two weeks on $75 if I went a nutrient deficient, fat laden, calorie abundant route.

Its a goddamn travesty that is the USA.. a TRUE land of plenty that we have gotten to this state of affairs.

SittinGrumpy

as I picked the freshest produce and the purest of ingredients I could find and came up with a $75 receipt. I could eat for two weeks on $75 if I went a nutrient deficient, fat laden, calorie abundant route.
You are right on the mark with this one, it is shocking what "good for you" food cost compared to junk.

I started going to the farmers market and found it is a lot better then the giant mega food stores. I still have strawberries, blueberries, peaches, apples and corn that I bought last year in the freezer. I have canned green beans that we have been eating on for two winters now. I figure that raising my own or helping local farmers is a lot better then feeding tons of money to the large chains.

Jul 4, 2010
Virginia USA
I'm lucky to have in-laws that have a plentiful garden and neighbors who raise their own livestock. We have a Kraft Mac-N-Cheese and Ramen noodles budget.

I like your idea to try something new every day, Gary. If I weren't so damn lazy and cheap perhaps I'd do the same.

Actually, I tried to do the same back in September when I was an unemployed bum, and it lasted all of 3 or 4 days. I'm a lazy bitch.

SittinGrumpy

Would that be good or bad?
I hate just ramen, just because we had to eat it so much; however, you can make them taste like things other than ramen lol.

Just one idea I used, cook the noodles and throw the seasoning pack away. Season with Chinese hot sauce and light soy sauce. Changes the flavor completely.

Jul 4, 2010
Virginia USA
I hate just ramen, just because we had to eat it so much; however, you can make them taste like things other than ramen lol.

Just one idea I used, cook the noodles and throw the seasoning pack away. Season with Chinese hot sauce and light soy sauce. Changes the flavor completely.
Oh, that sounds good!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
I cook something different everyday (because I get completely bored if not) Usually some variation of pasta, rice, salad or pizza..or sometimes a variation of some kind of meat - usually chicken - with vegetables.

I love pasta --- but there's only so many times a week you can eat it before you want to throw up from the blandness of it all. Unfortunately.

I love noodles. My favourite pastas are: tortellini, the twisty one - I forget what it's called and egg noodles. But I think Ramen noodles are yummy for a quick lunch. Shame they don't really have any health benefits though... and all that MSG... oh well. Tastes good. (okay every once in a while)

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Today's dinner gets 10 thumbs up!!! It's fantastic. I love the Falafel. They will go on the list of "Things to eat more often". :)

I haven't tried the cake yet...

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Today:

Argentina !!

I'll be making some Empanadas with a meat/veggy filling. <---- yum !

( We in America call these Hot pockets. <--- Yuck

Dessert:

Low Fat chocolate and Pineapple Cake ( I'll add a pic to this post after its done. )

We still have 90% of yesterday's cake wrapped in individual slice configuration. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to miniaturize each dessert from no on otherwise will have a kitchen full by end of month.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Maybe ...

I was trying to get Absinthe to take it to her office. I think she is ashamed that her dude is a stay at home bum / cook.
Don’t be silly. I will start taking some of your cakes to work. Don't worry, they will not last long...