Digital Camera Recommendations.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
I'm looking to buy a new digital camera. Don't need the best but don't want the worst. Thinking along the lines of Olympus, Cannon, Nikon or Fuji. Price range $100-300 bucks. Anyone have any suggestions?

suki

Family
Apr 1, 2008
we just did the TONS and TONS of research and narrowed it to two in the under $300 range, however, it was $500 by the time we were done ordering (warranty, accessories, etc)

one was the...fuck if I know. I can't remember. sue me.

the other (the one we got so I can look at the box right now) is the Kodak Z812 IS.

its supposed to be uber good for high def video and the image quality is fantastic (for an ultra-zoom. the pictures are actually comparable to alot of DSLR's IMO).

you can get a conversion ring and interchange lenses, as well (fuck that. I wanted something small. I already have an SLR).

its biggest drawback thus far has been shutter speed, but we knew that going in.

with a fast card you can shoot three frames in rapid succession...then get bogged down for a second or two waiting for it to write to memory.

I don't anticipate actually being in a situation where I give a fuck about that, but I can guarantee the first time I miss a once in a lifetime shot because of it...

I'm throwing it out the fucking window.

the camera, itself was ordered from Abe's of Maine for I'm thinking $249 (or was it $319?)...with a 4 gig card, case, batteries, charger and a rim job for ted it was just under 5.

when he gets home...I'll ask him what the other one was. he researched this shit FOR WEEKS...

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm looking to buy a new digital camera. Don't need the best but don't want the worst. Thinking along the lines of Olympus, Cannon, Nikon or Fuji. Price range $100-300 bucks. Anyone have any suggestions?
What are you looking for in a camera? Does video qulity matter to you?

If not you should get one like mine, its a really really good camera but the video sucks but its still workable.

[video=youtube;Kz5wKMlSD3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz5wKMlSD3M[/video]

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
I've been perfectly happy with a Sony Cybershot I bought a few years ago. It's definitely not for professional photography, but it consistently takes crisp, clear pictures without fucking with too many settings. It's got a great quality lens, sturdy case, and solid button functions. I don't remember the model exactly, but I'd be willing to bet a round at the bar that it's a DSC-P200. I bought it back in the day when 7.2MP was the higher standard for a digital camera, but even then paid under $300 for it. For some reason, I really like its shape... I don't know if they still make similar physical designs or not. It looks like this:

It uses a rechargable lithium battery (be very wary of cameras that use anything else, I know several friends that have bought various cameras that use AA or CR123(?) batteries and they have to replace the batteries daily or worse).

For this deployment, I decided I'd leave that baby at home and buy a cheaper camera. I ended up getting a Sony Cybershot DSC-S650. The shape is more boxy, it takes two AA batteries (though since I bought the thing, I've replaced the batteries only a few times, and I've taken over 1000 pictures with it... I use Energizer lithium AAs in it), and the button function doesn't feel as solid. However, it's dealt with sand, dust, being dropped, etc. and still performs without a problem. Once, it was hemming up, but after some canned air and resetting it, it returned to normal again. I paid $125 for it (plus I bought a replacement warranty for a few extra dollars). I believe it's only 7MP, but it still takes pretty damn decent pictures. This is the S650:

I guess what I'm saying in so many words is, in my experience, Sony Cybershots have stood the tests of quality, durability, and functionality. If you're looking for something super fancy, they're probably not your best bet.

And I've always thought that if you plan on taking video, get a video camera. Still cameras don't take video as well as a video camera does, and vice versa. I know, because I own and have used both for both.

You DO get what you pay for in a camera. A camera that seems to have similar functionality to another camera twice the price probably doesn't have the same power consumption/conservation (shorter battery life), the same quality lens, the same photosensing technology (makes a big difference in less than optimum lighting situations, etc.) or the same durability.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay

If not you should get one like mine, its a really really good camera but the video sucks but its still workable.
Yeah, the Exilim is a pretty schweet camera.
For realz.

But Funee, if I were you, I would raise the price range with 200 more dollars and get me Nikon D40 digital SLR.

I just bought two of those, with the company credit card, and it does the same damn fine job as the camera that costs 3 times more, which we also have.
A whole lot of camera for chump change!

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
For realz.
Had one. Hated it with a passion. I actually threw that fucker away. The battery life was okay at first, then went down to needing to be recharged (supposedly used a lithium rechargeable) after taking only a couple pictures. And no, it wasn't the battery... I tried new batteries with it twice, and the same thing happened. Also, lens quality on the Exilims suck ass in my opinion. They look cool, that's about it.

But Funee, if I were you, I would raise the price range with 200 more dollars and get me Nikon D40 digital SLR.

I just bought two of those, with the company credit card, and it does the same damn fine job as the camera that costs 3 times more, which we also have.
I agree, the D40 is a decent camera. However, it's too much camera to take everywhere. That's why I like a little smaller camera... it's easier to grab, whereas if I had a D40, I'd probably decide not to grab it half the time because of the bulk and etc.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Had one. Hated it with a passion. I actually threw that fucker away. The battery life was okay at first, then went down to needing to be recharged (supposedly used a lithium rechargeable) after taking only a couple pictures. And no, it wasn't the battery... I tried new batteries with it twice, and the same thing happened. Also, lens quality on the Exilims suck ass in my opinion. They look cool, that's about it.
Hehe i thought the quality sucked too at first.....the i figured out how to use it and the pictures are total awesomeness.

I don't know what was wrong with your battery but mine works fine. Did you get that exact kind? Its the newest and its 10mega pixels and its about $250.00 bucks.

If you look up reviews for it you'll see that most everybody <3's it hardcore and would take it over some of the more pricy cams.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street

YouTube - Exilim Zoom EXZ1080 Getting Started Guide
Could care less about video. I have a digi cam corder for that. I'm looking for something smaller to take on vacation.

I've ruled out Kodak as they are shitty.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Hehe i thought the quality sucked too at first.....the i figured out how to use it and the pictures are total awesomeness.

I don't know what was wrong with your battery but mine works fine. Did you get that exact kind? Its the newest and its 10mega pixels and its about $250.00 bucks.

If you look up reviews for it you'll see that most everybody <3's it hardcore and would take it over some of the more pricy cams.
No, I got it several years ago. In my experience, Casio makes shitty everything, though. I'll never willingly buy anything Casio if there's something else available, ever again.

Could care less about video. I have a digi cam corder for that. I'm looking for something smaller to take on vacation.

Yeah, Kodak sucks. Also, as far as cameras go, stay away from Samsung (one of the major battery hogs I mentioned before).

I'd definitely recommend a Sony Cybershot for a vacation camera; I'll try and find a specific model that might suit you best tomorrow, if I remember. Right now, I need sleep! However, I'd recommend spending $200-300 (I assume you're going to use it for more than one vacation).

Hardwood

Apr 25, 2008
For realz.

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suki

Family
Apr 1, 2008

you know not of what you speak.

I've had two. the one we just got...and the one the ex took with him.

image quality = stellar.

you're just a poo-face.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
you know not of what you speak.

I've had two. the one we just got...and the one the ex took with him.

image quality = stellar.

you're just a poo-face.
I have a sister who is a photographer and owns a developing lab. She said they are absolute crap. She recommended 4 brands that have the best quality of prints with the least amount of touch up and photo shop work before she prints them. Most labs don't do anything as they are ran by minimum wage college or high school drop outs. Knowing this she stated which ones take the least amount of expertise to make the photos look good. Unfortunately she rarely spends less than a grand on her cameras so she does not have experience with the common point and shoot cams. I asked because I was looking for ease of use, features etc and personal experiences with them because that varies by brand and style.

suki

Family
Apr 1, 2008
I have a sister who is a photographer and owns a developing lab. She said they are absolute crap. She recommended 4 brands that have the best quality of prints with the least amount of touch up and photo shop work before she prints them. Most labs don't do anything as they are ran by minimum wage college or high school drop outs. Knowing this she stated which ones take the least amount of expertise to make the photos look good. Unfortunately she rarely spends less than a grand on her cameras so she does not have experience with the common point and shoot cams. I asked because I was looking for ease of use, features etc and personal experiences with them because that varies by brand and style.

I repeat:

you're a poo face.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
*has no idea*

I love SLRs and B&W prints.... all grainy and genuine. Developing your own prints is the dogs bollocks. I'm an old-fashioned girl at heart!

*gets teary-eyed at the memories of good times in the darkroom with, erm, whoever*

suki

Family
Apr 1, 2008
*has no idea*

I love SLRs and B&W prints.... all grainy and genuine. Developing your own prints is the dogs bollocks. I'm an old-fashioned girl at heart!

*gets teary-eyed at the memories of good times in the darkroom with, erm, whoever*

*gets high thinking about the chemicals*

Firestorm

n00b
Founder
May 7, 2008
Somewhere
I'm with the Scabman on this one, I have a Nikon D40, it's a little more pricey, but I love the picture quality and the ease of function. Look at it this way Funnee, it's all but idiot proof, so even you wouldn't get too many pics of your finger.