Doomsday Preppers

Comments

Capt.

Dude!
Jan 18, 2011
Tennessee, USA
You got these guys and then there is the zombie apocalypse nut jobs. What this guy is doing is good prep in my mind. After seeing the silly movie 2012, I hope it just happens fast. I don't think I could sit by and watch all my family and friends die.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
I'll take my chances on just staying at home. Maybe closing the blinds or something, I don't know.

If an apocalypse comes, so be it. But until then, the time I would have spent digging holes in the ground I've instead decided to spend playing Skyrim. Time will tell if I chose wisely, or not.

I'm pretty happy with my decision so far.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I'm pretty happy with my decision so far.
It's fine with me. Your victim strategy seems to be wholeheartedly embraced by 75% of society. This is why so many people are easily brutalized by numerically smaller numbers of aggressors.

Anyway, no one says you have to go nuts with punji sticks in trap holes or barb wire decapitation strands hung around your property but you SHOULD have a week of food stuffs on hand in case of foul weather and or fuel shortages. There's a child in your home after all, and not being in a position to overcome basic adversity is plain irresponsible in my opinion. (if you do have a few days of reserves then disregard)

For example; Anyone living in a Hurricane zone that are unprepared for at LEAST 7 days of self preservation are just asking to be herded into a sweltering piss stained football stadium with the other 20,000 unprepared A-holes. And there are STILL people in the Chocolate City that are as unprepared as they were during Hurricane Katrina / Bush.

Preppers are not all nut balls, and not all militant in their plans. Preppers can be normal folks not wanting to suffer during the 3 or 4 days that follow major storms and such that happen routinely across the world.

Fancypants

Yaa!
Founder
Oct 31, 2013
Planning for a few days or a week of food and water is completely understandable and actually responsible. The people on these shows are planning for a year or more, and most of the time have the mindset that the end of the world is coming and only a handful of humans are going to survive. I mean sure, if something like that does go down then these people will have the last laugh, but to spend at least 12 hours per week training and doing evacuation drills like one family was doing is pretty ridiculous.

I can say that a home break-in is pretty likely so I'll give up sleeping and stand next to my back door holding a baseball bat for 12 hours a day. If someone does break into my home they'd never see it coming, but if someone doesn't then I've wasted a huge chunk of my life on nothing. I'd say most of the people on this show have psychological issues, just like hoarders, germophobes and addicts.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I mean sure, if something like that does go down then these people will have the last laugh, but to spend at least 12 hours per week training and doing evacuation drills like one family was doing is pretty ridiculous.

I've seen the vids you mention. To some degree I see your point.

MY plans involve self sufficiency, making my home a zero draw on the government electrical/water/sewer system and owning one (or more) vehicles that can travel more than 50 miles on a gallon of gasoline.

^ This, in my opinion not only puts me in front and ahead of the most pressing problem we all face, fuel/power shortage. At the same time and should no shortage every happen in my life time, I am STILL ahead as I have saved money and have reduced my stress over the perceived doom of rising fuel costs.

As far as weapons go, I'm of the opinion that if one has weapons one should be regularly training with them. Even your BB bat scenario should to be practiced in order to get a feel for swinging it in confined spaces and left and right hand swings .. etc etc .

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Anyway, no one says you have to go nuts with punji sticks in trap holes or barb wire decapitation strands hung around your property but you SHOULD have a week of food stuffs on hand in case of foul weather and or fuel shortages.
Fuel shortages and foul weather would have to be severe in the extreme to constitute the apocalypse, but I see your point.

I'm sure I've got 20 or so cans of food around here. Also a handgun. If my kid starves to death, I guarantee I won't be alive to see it happen.

Besides, God loves me. He'd never let anything like that happen to me.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I see the value with d-day prep. As much as I'd love to be proactive with this:
-I have no money to fund doomsday preparation...it's expensive hobby only for those who have thousands of dollars to spend (possibly waste) on the "what-if" scenario. I'm still funding the "I have tangible and real shit to pay for right-now" scenario.
-I have no property to defend, niggas got no job so nigga rents.
-I have no guns to defend my no property with
-I have a wife that's perfectly happy with the "victim strategy" and doesn't even feel the need to own a firearm ...and she controls where/how the money is spent at the moment.

Furthermore, even if I did have money to spend on the most lavish and protected private bunker imaginable in which I could live until the rest of humanity has starved and/or killed itself off; two truths are still evident: 1)after all out nuclear attack the world is pretty much unlivable 2) eventually, I'll have to come out of my bunker. 2.1) When I come out, I may find a way to survive in an environment "safe" from acute damage from radiation, but I will most likely die slowly from some form of cancer secondary to the soil being covered with nuclear fallout.
I post this again: After watching Threads and The Day After, I hope I'm ground zero when the Tsar Bomb's undocumented 100+ mega ton bigger brother detonates overhead.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Furthermore, even if I
Nuke survival is so 1960s !!

The fact of the matter is, is that today in the US almost none of us get our food from local providers. Almost all of us get our food from providers at least 1000 miles away. That means transportation that needs fuel and storage facilities that need power on a grand scale.

Fuel and power outages make food delivery either impossible or impractical. That means government intervention in disaster zones to deliver "humanitarian" aid. Government assistance means, ultimately, dudes with guns telling you and your family what to do and when to do it, EVEN removing you from your home for your "safety" and placing you with other refugees in an easily managed containment camp.

I for one won't be playing in that scenario. I won't relocate, consolidate, evacuate or any other government directed activity that goes contrary to my measured good sense because relocating and consolidating is the second step in population control. (the first step was to manufacture the shortages)

And it's fine that some or most are unwilling or unable to prepare for those (my) perceived eventualities. In fact my plans depend on there being a huge amount of sheep to occupy the government's time and resources. Dudes like me, that stay off the radar, that don't cause trouble that can button up and stay out of sight for a while will simply not be fucked with ... at first anyway.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Dudes like me, that stay off the radar...
When they're loading me onto the truck, I'm going to give them your name and tell them that you have a huge stockpile of guns, booze, and anti-government paraphernalia.

Bunnee

*gigglesnorts*
Founder
Apr 25, 2008
Orstrayleeuh
My plan if the Apocalypse ever happens is to (if we survive) jack a car and get the fuck out of dodge ASAP.

I do NOT want to be in a major city when shit goes down.

Apart from that I'm totally gonna wing it.