Ethics Question

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Ethics question...

This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. By giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which you will have to make a decision. Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous.

Please give due consideration to each line describing the situation.

You are in Florida, Miami to be specific. There is chaos all around you, caused by a hurricane, with severe flooding. This is a flood of biblical proportions.

You are a photo journalist working for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster.
The situation is nearly hopeless.

You're trying to shoot career-making photos.

There are houses and people swirling around you, some disappearing under the water.

Nature is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

Suddenly you see a woman in the water.

She is fighting for her life, trying not to be taken down with the debris.

You move closer... Somehow the woman looks familiar.

You suddenly realize who it is.
It's Hillary Clinton!
At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take her under. . . forever.

You have two options--you can save the life of Hillary Clinton, or you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the world's most powerful women.

So here's the question, and please give an honest & spontaneous answer:

Would you select high contrast color film, or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white?

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
High contrast.

Taking a color photo will bring out every detail in the shot. From the mist of breath and saliva that escapes her lips during her final thrust toward the top of the waves, to the tiny broken capillaries forming just beneath the (no-doubt flushed) surface of her skin, all will be recorded in total.

Decisions regarding the artfulness of such a shot can be made with a surplus of detail. But "not enough" will never be more than what it is.

P.S. -- Incidentally, I get the joke, but in order for the "color-or-no-color' choice to make sense in place of the "save-her-or-don't" choice, it has to have some kind of moral ramification. I mean currently it just reads like the "Color-or-no-color" choice was hurriedly tacked on at the end with little regard to whether it makes any sense. And it takes away from the overall humor a bit, if you ask me.

Just my two cents.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
High contrast and try to get her attention so she'd be looking at the camera.

Hate to ruin a perfectly good kodak moment.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
P.S. -- Incidentally, I get the joke, but in order for the "color-or-no-color' choice to make sense in place of the "save-her-or-don't" choice, it has to have some kind of moral ramification. I mean currently it just reads like the "Color-or-no-color" choice was hurriedly tacked on at the end with little regard to whether it makes any sense. And it takes away from the overall humor a bit, if you ask me.
Just my two cents.
You make an excellent point and I agree with you.

LethalDose

Noob a little less
Mar 14, 2008
Call me old fashion,I like high contrast,but a moment like this,I would prefer black -n-white.Even if I didn`t make alot of money,I could relish these photos in the privacy of my own home

gigman

Bad Ass
Founder
Mar 6, 2008
Would select high contrast color film.
Take the shot and let the bitch die for the good of the country.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Was that supposed to be an attempt at humor? I almost fell asleep reading that...

As to the question, I'd take a digital photo, and photoshop it later to both high contrast AND black and white.