F-15 Model number 81-0065

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
This was the first jet that was assigned as my personal responsibility. I was a trainee under Sgt. "Uncle Ron" Simmons on Aircraft 84-0017, which was the squadron commander's jet. That jet won awards it was such a good flyer. Damn good jet.

But 81-0065 (1065 for short)? It was a piece of shit. The first two digits tell you what year it was made, and the following digits tell you which line of the assembly for that year it rolled off of.

So, mine was the 65th jet to roll out in 1981. 1065 was a 'D' model which means it was a two seater. Pilot in front, weapons officer in back.

I could only find this one photo of my girl online, and it wasn't stationed at Tyndall or else it would have had a big TY on it's tail instead of CR. But here she is:
f15.jpg

I got the chance to fly her during my incentive flight. Incentive flights are special privileges they award to members of the force who are doing a good job, and during my incentive flight, I got to fly my own jet. Of course, I sat in the second seat. My pilot's callsign was "meat".

Sadly, 1065 met her fate in the boneyards some time after Tyndall switched to the F-22. I'll never forget her and all the blood, sweat, and tears I spilled on her. ...also a little bit of hangover puke.

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Oh shit, look what I found.

photo_9999_16332.jpg

If you look super close under the canopy, there's two lines of text. One for the crew chief, and one for the crew chief's second.

My name would be on the top line.

Reactions: OverLord

Recon7

Curmudgeon
Founder
Jan 1, 2008
Somewhere out there.
Thats awesome.

I don't have a damn thing from my early days in the military, I had about 10 or 20 rolls of 35mm film from those days but they never made it out of the ex-wife's garage. :(

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, between my sister and my mom, there's a photo or two of me standing next to my jet where you can see my name on the side of it. But it'll probably be one of their funerals before I ever see it again. I just didn't take pictures of myself when I was in. Photos of me in uniform are rare as fuck.