Farmer Gary

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Yep ..

Digging the Garden plot ... nothing huge mainly as a curiosity instead of providing for sustenance.

Tillers are a great workout !!

Not bad for a used tiller ...

Great for the forearms and triceps !!

SittinGrumpy

I cannot get over the sweats and workboots ... too funny!

SittinGrumpy

If you were wearing real combat boots and SWEATPANTS...i would think you had lost your mind! I mean the workboots with the sweats is trying enough hahahaha

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Nice little vege plot...but wouldn't using a shovel be more manly?
I like the pics though, you are looking good.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I used to use a rototiller once you're cheating, but it's justified because it's too grueling other wise.

Strawberry patch is NOT a bad idea you know. You only need a couple of rows and they will spread out on their own. They are year long and tough during the winter months.
When summer comes round, you're in for a nice reward.

What are you using for mulch? There is one thing I really hate and that is pulling weeds, so maybe I could suggest using news paper and cardboard paper for you base and then the leaves and dead organic stuff thrown on top.

Recycling your foods like the uneaten goods works just fine. Get your woman to put the peels and such in a separate bin.

Got a fireplace? The ash from that and the BBQ works like magic.
Going for shit? Pig shit.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Strawberry patch is NOT a bad idea you know. You only need a couple of rows and they will spread out on their own. They are year long and tough during the winter months.
When summer comes round, you're in for a nice reward.
Not strawberries, Various veggies that we enjoy.

As I said we are not producing for bulk, and we chose items and amount s that can be eaten without having to preserve.

What are you using for mulch? There is one thing I really hate and that is pulling weeds, so maybe I could suggest using news paper and cardboard paper for you base and then the leaves and dead organic stuff thrown on top.
We added 10 cubic meters of a store bought mulch. I don't remember the type/kind.

I mean, I'm not worried about rabbits, weeds, pests, vegetarian zombies or nymphomaniacs in need of a cucumber dildo, this is mostly for personal enjoyment.

If we actually get a bounty, then great.

Recycling your foods like the uneaten goods works just fine. Get your woman to put the peels and such in a separate bin.
She's European .. so recycling is common practice for her.

And yeah, we will start doing the composting on a larger scale than we have in the past.

Got a fireplace?
I have. It's converted to propane.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008

Got a fireplace? The ash from that and the BBQ works like magic.
Going for shit? Pig shit.
I did the paper thing in the flower beds last year. A few layers of brown paper bags (the large kind), some mulch on top of it... No weeds last year and hardly any this year.

This is the first veggie garden we have, so it is all about the "learning experience"...
I have planted one tomato, eight brussel sprouts and a few cucumbers. Bell peppers and more tomatoes in several pots.

"Get your woman..."?????? Hahahahahahahaha... ask him how often I did what he "told me to do"...

As for shit... Horse is much better. Tomatoes love it...

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
This...

...is so very sexy.

I want mine to look like that when he comes back. And ravage me mercilessly *sigh*
hahah ..

Yeah .. I've been working on my body for 20 years ... and contrary to popular belief a full time military schedule is NOT conducive to the average guy to be able to build a killer muscle bound body.

It's actually better to have some bodyfat in a survival situation.

But you already know this .. living in Alaska is hell on a skinny mofo.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Not strawberries, Various veggies that we enjoy.
I mentioned strawberries because you just let them go and don't think about them. They are survivers

As I said we are not producing for bulk, and we chose items and amount s that can be eaten without having to preserve.
Perserving is not such a bad idea. Simple is enough like this:
Get a plastic round bin with lid. Put your cabbage, carrots and Daikon radish and cucumbers inside (seperately), all well salted. Place a stone on top of a rounded shaped wood few days to a week. These is pressure method.

Take it all out, rinse and enjoy............this is Japanese style pickling...called Tsukemono........very easy to do..........will have salty taste of course.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukemono

I did the paper thing in the flower beds last year. A few layers of brown paper bags (the large kind), some mulch on top of it... No weeds last year and hardly any this year.
Glad it worked. The paper is bio-degradable. Bet you hate the weeds as much as I do.

This is the first veggie garden we have, so it is all about the "learning experience"...
That's the way to go....and along the way, folks like me will throw in some advice and ideas.......as part of the experience.

I have planted one tomato, eight brussel sprouts and a few cucumbers. Bell peppers and more tomatoes in several pots.
Advice about Tomatoes: you've got to prune them. Don't let a vine have too many branches. If so, then the growing power of the plant will bypass your tomatoes. If you prune them, then more power going to the red little darlings

Cucumbers: When you feel they are the size you like, pluck off the flower.
If the Flower is still there, they will grow into monster size.

As for shit... Horse is much better. Tomatoes love it...
At one time, it was human, but these days, with all the crap we put in our bodies........well you know what I mean.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Speaking of 'pickling', buddha... if you like that sorta thing, try this with fish heads:

Put in plastic bucket and layer rock salt, fish, rock salt, fish, rock salt until no fish left. Last layer of fish must be covered by salt.

Let sit in cool dark place for 1 to 3 weeks (depending on patience). Rinse salt off and soak in fresh water for 2 to 3 hours.

Or you can just eat it straight out of the bucket - that's what the elders here do. I... do not participate. However, in my younger, more naive years (toddler) I'm told I was a fiend for the stuff.

When they get a lot of leftover fish parts, they fill a large cooler instead of a bucket and bury it in the ground so it stays cool. Dig up several weeks (or months if you want) later and enjoy!