Fatties getting mad

Zeabot

Californium
Founder
Oct 25, 2013
I was perusing the interwebs when I came across this gem.http://swollencranium.com/forums/forum.php

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/01/04/are-georgia-anti-obesity-ads-too-harsh?hpt=hp_c2

Essentially, Georgia is fat. The Children's Healthcare of Atlanta created this ad campaign that some are deeming "too controversial" and "piling onto a problem."

I love the campaign. I grew up a fatty. I am, also, pretty damn sure I missed out on a lot of opportunities because of my weight; whether that is playing sports in high school or going on dates or the countless other things that can be included on this list. Parents need to wake up and realize they and their children are fat... and moreover, IT IS THEIR FAULT.

Outside of obvious health problems (thyroid, etc...) obesity can be solved. Sure, mommy and daddy, healthy food is expensive. Got it. You know what is not expensive? Carrots and apples. Not that organic crap, just regular old fruits and vegetables. They even fill you up so you don't have to keep stuffing your face with moon pies. Want to know what else works? Exercising. WOW. Going for half an hour walks can greatly change a child. Not just for the 30 minutes of exercise, but the whole mindset of living a healthy life changes.

I am not a health freak by any means. In fact, right now I can stand to lose about 15 pounds. What I do not like, is childhood obesity. These children are being raised knowing no other way. Eat everything you want and be lazy, that's okay -- hey the government might even pay for your healthcare when you develop type 2 diabetes by 15.

Secondly, it is extremely annoying to hear people say things like "or shaming kids and parents just piling it on for folks who are already hurting?" (direct quote from article) or "greatly promote the negative stigma, weight bias and bullying often associated with obesity and childhood obesity." (the direct quote from the response by the Obesity Action Coalition.) Get over yourself.

Capt.

Dude!
Jan 18, 2011
Tennessee, USA
You are right, it ALL comes back to accountability. Where I live in Tennessee is flowing with Country Music money. I am a retail manager and I see all types of pathetic kids and parents. Fat, mean, boney, whatever. It all comes back to accountability. I once saw a family in my store, the kids were asking their parents for something and they said no. The kids proceeded to attempt to verbally assault and embarrass them, with the parents ignoring and making no attempt to put the kids back in their place. Which in turn made the kids amplify their efforts. The parents continued to shrug off the jeers and all hell broke loose.

The kids started asking me "why are my parents such jerks" and "They never buy me anything, they have no idea how to make their kids happy" (keep in mind they are wearing private school uniforms and they drove to the store in an Escalade, the ones that weren't attempting to recruit me were busy playing on their iPhones in fancy cases)

I responded by laughing and saying "Looks like you are doing pretty good already, you should appreciate what you already have"

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say. The parents decided I was out of my place and shouldn't be "correcting" their children. They collected and left.

Bunnee

*gigglesnorts*
Founder
Apr 25, 2008
Orstrayleeuh
Seeing fat kids make me angry and sad. Angry at the parents for doing such a piss poor job on educating thier children on healthy food choices and sad for the kid, who is clearly going to have self esteem issues all thier lives :(

It's seriously not that hard to give your kids a balance of junkfood/healthy snack and meal options. I was watching cartoons with the kids the other day, and they're starting to call fruit "Sport candy", like really? Sport candy?! Is it really that bad that we have to start doing that so kids will eat a piece of fruit?

Fancypants

Yaa!
Founder
Oct 31, 2013
I personally gained over 100 pounds in the first dozen or so years of my life. I blame my parents.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Ummmm...

It's weird, when I was growing up we were taught to accept people for who they are. Now we are teaching kids that being fat should be looked down upon. You are a lesser person if you are fat and you should be ashamed of yourself. Are you kidding me? What happened to teaching your kids that they should be good people that don't discriminate against others for their physical appearance. There are plenty of people in the world that have made significant contributions to society and made this world a better place all while being fat. Being fat doesn't take away from the person you are or the person you can be. If your priorities in life are about being a good person and you don't care about your physical appearance, who am I to judge that? Now we are trying to act like what we consider as "being unhealthy" is a crime. Well it's subjective, and this is America. Let people set their own priorities and live their life they way they want. And let's not put these people down and bully these children just because we don't agree with their choices in life. Come on people. We have fought hard to eliminate racism and sexism in our country and treat people with alternative lifestyles equally. Let's not start discriminating against people for physical appearance. We have come way to far for that.
And this from a Nuclear Engineer.... I despair of the world- I really do. :yociexp69:

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
You are right, it ALL comes back to accountability. Where I live in Tennessee is flowing with Country Music money. I am a retail manager and I see all types of pathetic kids and parents. Fat, mean, boney, whatever. It all comes back to accountability. I once saw a family in my store, the kids were asking their parents for something and they said no. The kids proceeded to attempt to verbally assault and embarrass them, with the parents ignoring and making no attempt to put the kids back in their place. Which in turn made the kids amplify their efforts. The parents continued to shrug off the jeers and all hell broke loose.

The kids started asking me "why are my parents such jerks" and "They never buy me anything, they have no idea how to make their kids happy" (keep in mind they are wearing private school uniforms and they drove to the store in an Escalade, the ones that weren't attempting to recruit me were busy playing on their iPhones in fancy cases)

I responded by laughing and saying "Looks like you are doing pretty good already, you should appreciate what you already have"

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say. The parents decided I was out of my place and shouldn't be "correcting" their children. They collected and left.
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh... hate obnoxious kids.

I took my daughter to the cinema once. It was quite empty aside from us, about 6-7 other people and these two kids, with their grandparents. About halfway through the movie, these kids started getting up from their seats at the back, and running up and down the little aisle beside us. I let them carry on for a while, but my daughter started turning round and seeing what they were doing - so I told her - "Keep your eyes on the screen, and ignore them." Then these little brats started careening down the aisle and dive-bombing about a foot away from the screen, with the accompanying sound-effects. So I'd had enough and got up and screamed right in one of their faces: "SIENTATE!!" (sit down!) Which prompted the kid to start crying and run back to his grandparents. There was a blissful silence for the rest of the movie and we enjoyed it in peace.

Afterwards, the grandparents came up to me and said "Who do you think you are, screaming at little children?"
I said "If you'd taught them proper manners, I wouldn't have to. I paid to watch that movie with my daughter, and your brats ruined it"
They said "You should have come to talk to us!"

Sorry, but it was obvious they were ruining the movie for everyone. They just brought their grandkids to the movie so they could nod off and ingore them for a while, and to hell with everyone else.

I just walked off - but I was seriously furious!

Zeabot

Californium
Founder
Oct 25, 2013
Sorry, but it was obvious they were ruining the movie for everyone.
There are certain situations where I firmly believe you should talk to the parents first. The situation you described is not one of them. I think the key word in your sentence there was obvious. If it was obvious your kid was going to fall off a jungle gym, you would probably want me to catch them. If it is obvious your kid is a douche bag and you are not doing anything about it, I will.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
If it is obvious your kid is a douche bag and you are not doing anything about it, I will.
Pretty much!

Kids who are obnoxious to their parents are number 2 on my hit list. Actually had to get up from a table and take my daughter home when one of her "friends" - (kid of one of my acquaintance) was acting up. Not having my kid exposed to your bratty kids behaviour - or hell forbid, copying it.
No sireeeeeeeee.

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
Haha !

Yahoo is chock full of fattie fuel anger these days !!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/gyms-skinny-model-ad-campaign-sparks-outrage-members-203300610.html

( well .. it is kinda fattie anger ..)
I used to be teased relentlessly for being thin. YES. You got that right, THIN. I apparently had every eating disorder under the sun and a few that were made up.

But I was just one of those people who could sit down and eat whatever I wanted and never gain a pound. Good genetics I guess. Or, it could be that my parents kicked me outside everytime the weather was warmer than -5 C and actually DO something. Truthfully, I don't think I ate a perfect diet of nutritious foods, but I did have veggies, fruits and other non-takeout/junk food type foods regularily.

On that note, I completely agree that in most situations child obesity is the result of piss poor parenting. However, on that note, when these children become adults, their childhood obesity may have been the result of poor parenting, but their obesity becomes a problem that is all their own responsibility.

Zeabot

Californium
Founder
Oct 25, 2013
their own responsibility.
Very true that adults should be responsible for their actions (ie portion control, exercise), but it is very hard to reverse 15 years of poor habits. That is why I am much more appalled by childhood obesity.