Fish!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Okay, so a couple of days ago I was in the supermarket, and I fancied something different to cook (i.e not pasta and not chicken) so I ended up buying a couple of Rainbow Trout on a whim.

I arrived home, stared at it and I was like ... ummm what did I buy this for?? I don't even know how to debone/gut/prepare it properly.

However, (mood withstanding upon returning from work) Tuesday will be my day for a new challenge.

Does anybody know any nice ways (tried and tested) to prepare/cook this fish?

Oh, and do I remove the head before cooking?

Gracias

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Nice choice of fish!

With trout I have been told that there's really just two ways to prepare it and I found a site that had both those two recipes (along with a third one, but nevermind that).

[C-p]
Baked Rainbow Trout

2-3 trout

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1½ teaspoons seasoned salt

6 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion-thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic

1 large tomato, thinly sliced

4 teaspoons white wine

Spray 13x9 inch pan with liquid shortening. Arrange fish in pan and sprinkle with parsley, lemon juice and salt. Heat oil in small skillet: fry onion and garlic till limp. Pour over fish. Place tomato on fish and pour wine over fish. Bake 350 degrees 30-45 minutes. Serves 2-3.

Grilled Trout

6 small trout

Salt or seasoning for fish

Prepare trout: rub with oil and sprinkle with salt or seasoning. Place in fish basket if available or place on preheated grill rack and cook for about 15 minutes, turning as needed. Option: Rinse trout under cold water and stuff with lemon wedges and onions. Wrap in foil and cook on hot charcoal or gas grill for 6 minutes on each side. Do not overcook. Open foil and, with back of fish facing you, remove skin. There is a line
down the middle dividing the back meat and the belly meat. With fork,
Pull the back meat toward you and belly meat away from you and remove bone.
Squeeze on fresh lemon. Salt and pepper as needed.
[/C-p]

As you see in the second recipe, the trout doesn't really need a lot of extra shit to taste delicious.

Source

JackBlack

SoBer
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Out of State, out of mind.
You can do this in a charcoal grill or on the hot coals of a campfire!

1. Rinse whole (cleaned) fish in cold water. Stuff with onion slices and lemon wedges.

2. Wrap fish in aluminum foil. Lay the foil-wrapped fish directly on hot charcoal or hot coals. Cook 7 minutes; turn the fish over and cook 6 or 7 minutes on the other side.

3. Carefully remove fish (still in foil) from the coals; you may need tongs to do this safely. Let cool for a few moments.

4. Open foil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy.

Note: You can eat around the bones, but a better approach is to remove them entirely before digging in. Using a fork, just pull the the fish's back meat in one direction and the belly meat in the other, and you can remove the bones in one piece.

Also, leave the head on..

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Yummy!

Wow, Scabby thanks. I will have to try that.

JackBlack, thanks for your suggestion. However, my kitchen is extremely basic and I don't have a campfire. (heh) .. barbeque or even a charcoal grill! I know I suck.... just a fan-assisted oven and a microwave... sigh*

What kind of side-dish would you guys recommend? Something with potatoes and/or veggies?

I mean, I love fish but it's not very filling, is it?

Reading over all these recipes is making me want to prepare it now, apart from the fact that it's 00:09.....

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Oh, and do I remove the head before cooking?

Gracias
First things first, and that's choosing your fish:

Be sure the eyes are clear and not cloudy.
Smell the fish. It should NOT have a fishy, rotten smell to it.
Touch it. Should stick to your finger a tad bit.

Preparing:

Most fishermen sellers will scale and gut it out for you.
If not, it's not that hard.

Scaling and Gutting:

Start with a knife, moving from the tail towards the head.
You can do this directly in the sink or outside someplace. Those scales can get all of the place. Under running water works.

To gut it, place the tip of the knife inside the belly button and cut towards the head. From that cut opening, pull the guts out.

As for the head, leave it on. For HK people, the meat of the cheek is the most favored part.

As for trout, which I a surprised you can get in Spain, is usually deep fried in batter.

Fish can be fried, steamed, grilled, baked and boiled in soup.
If you decide to use it as soup, be sure to fry it up a bit first.

pic of HK fish market.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Grilled Trout Fillets New Zealand Method
Ingredients Needed:
Fillet from a fat 2 kg. rainbow trout(skin on, ribs in, flying ribs in or out)
0.5 t sea salt
1 T finely chopped onion
1.5 T chopped bacon
1 T diced tomato(or three thin slices)
2 T grated colby cheese(or your preference)
half-dozen drops of lemon juice(optional)
Microwave Method:

1. Place fillet flesh side down in appropriately sized microwave dish on elevation trivet. 2. Microwave for 2 minutes at 50% power.*
3. Remove from oven, turn flesh-side up, sprinkle on salt, onion, bacon, tomato and optional lemon juice.
4. Microwave for 2 more minutes at 50% power.*
5. Remove from oven & evenly distribute the grated cheese over the other ingredients.
6. Microwave a further 45 seconds at 100% power.*
*based on 850 watts of power
Conventional Method:
1. Place skin side down, flesh side up in an an appropriately sized oven dish.
2. Sprinkle on salt, onion, bacon, tomato and optional lemon juice.
3. Cook for 15 minutes under fan grill, or grill.
4. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese over other ingredients and grill for ~5 more
minutes, or until cheese is melted.

SittinGrumpy

Mix:
1 cup Cornmeal
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seafood Seasoning

Batter the clean fish in the cornmeal mixture

Deep fry

Fish will float when it is ready

Whenever we have fish we have cole slaw and either fries or baked potato

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Nice choice of fish!

With trout I have been told that there's really just two ways to prepare it and I found a site that had both those two recipes (along with a third one, but nevermind that).

[C-p]
Baked Rainbow Trout

2-3 trout

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1½ teaspoons seasoned salt

6 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion-thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic

1 large tomato, thinly sliced

4 teaspoons white wine

Spray 13x9 inch pan with liquid shortening. Arrange fish in pan and sprinkle with parsley, lemon juice and salt. Heat oil in small skillet: fry onion and garlic till limp. Pour over fish. Place tomato on fish and pour wine over fish. Bake 350 degrees 30-45 minutes. Serves 2-3.

Grilled Trout

6 small trout

Salt or seasoning for fish

Prepare trout: rub with oil and sprinkle with salt or seasoning. Place in fish basket if available or place on preheated grill rack and cook for about 15 minutes, turning as needed. Option: Rinse trout under cold water and stuff with lemon wedges and onions. Wrap in foil and cook on hot charcoal or gas grill for 6 minutes on each side. Do not overcook. Open foil and, with back of fish facing you, remove skin. There is a line
down the middle dividing the back meat and the belly meat. With fork,
Pull the back meat toward you and belly meat away from you and remove bone.
Squeeze on fresh lemon. Salt and pepper as needed.
[/C-p]

As you see in the second recipe, the trout doesn't really need a lot of extra shit to taste delicious.

Source
You can do this in a charcoal grill or on the hot coals of a campfire!

1. Rinse whole (cleaned) fish in cold water. Stuff with onion slices and lemon wedges.

2. Wrap fish in aluminum foil. Lay the foil-wrapped fish directly on hot charcoal or hot coals. Cook 7 minutes; turn the fish over and cook 6 or 7 minutes on the other side.

3. Carefully remove fish (still in foil) from the coals; you may need tongs to do this safely. Let cool for a few moments.

4. Open foil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy.

Note: You can eat around the bones, but a better approach is to remove them entirely before digging in. Using a fork, just pull the the fish's back meat in one direction and the belly meat in the other, and you can remove the bones in one piece.

Also, leave the head on..
You get a long way with salad, sour cream and taters.
Grilled Trout Fillets New Zealand Method
Ingredients Needed:
Fillet from a fat 2 kg. rainbow trout(skin on, ribs in, flying ribs in or out)
0.5 t sea salt
1 T finely chopped onion
1.5 T chopped bacon
1 T diced tomato(or three thin slices)
2 T grated colby cheese(or your preference)
half-dozen drops of lemon juice(optional)
Microwave Method:

1. Place fillet flesh side down in appropriately sized microwave dish on elevation trivet. 2. Microwave for 2 minutes at 50% power.*
3. Remove from oven, turn flesh-side up, sprinkle on salt, onion, bacon, tomato and optional lemon juice.
4. Microwave for 2 more minutes at 50% power.*
5. Remove from oven & evenly distribute the grated cheese over the other ingredients.
6. Microwave a further 45 seconds at 100% power.*
*based on 850 watts of power
Conventional Method:
1. Place skin side down, flesh side up in an an appropriately sized oven dish.
2. Sprinkle on salt, onion, bacon, tomato and optional lemon juice.
3. Cook for 15 minutes under fan grill, or grill.
4. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese over other ingredients and grill for ~5 more
minutes, or until cheese is melted.

She asked: "Does anybody know any nice ways (tried and tested) to prepare..."

That means gutting and scaling, not cooking......

YOU FOOLY FOOLS!!

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
Personally, all I ever did was simple. I'm no Emeril.

Take a sharp knife, cut the goddamned head off behind the gills. Then the tail. Its not hard. Make a cut in its back, pull out the spine. I always did it while the bastard's still thinking, "Holy shit, that hook's sharp!", s I don't know how easy it'll be for you, but mine always came out in one piece. Then you gut the fucker, pulling the innards out. By the time you're done gutting it and pulling the spine out, it should take very little cutting to end up with two fillets.

From there, all I do is take some tin foil, butter, salt and black pepper, lay the fish in the tin foil, spread butter liberally, add a quick shake or two (or whatever you want) of salt and pepper, wrap it up and throw it on a fire.

Its simple, its easy, and if I can do it, anyone who can tell the difference between a spatula and a meat fork can do the same.

Guess Who

Jun 25, 2009
usa
personly what i do with trout is first i fillet it then i first dip it in egg,then flour, shake the excess flour off , dip it in egg again, then dip it in bread crumb[panko or itlian your choice]. then pan fry it in about 2-3 inches of hot oil in a sautee pan until golden brown and delicious. as for side dishes i would go with grilled veggies and rice.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
So, thanks for all your contributions!

If anyone is interested, in the end I cooked it with the head on ... but decided to cut the tail off (yes, I'm strange) and followed Scabby's first recipe loosely...in that I didn't have any tomatoes or wine....

However! It turned out yummy.

Except for the bones.

I hate bones.

4nik8

Herban Legend
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Hick-ville
Blackened Fish is excellent and easy to make.
(Make sure your kitchen is well ventilated.)
This requires cleaning the fish though. Maybe save this recipe for next time you buy fillets at the store.

INGREDIENTS
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 2 teaspoons dry mustard
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon white pepper
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
* 6 (4 ounce) fillets trout
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, mix together paprika, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper, white pepper, thyme and salt; set aside. Heat a heavy cast iron pan on high heat until extremely hot, about 10 minutes.
2. Pour 3/4 cup melted butter into a shallow dish. Dip each fillet into butter, turning once to coat both sides. Sprinkle both sides of fillets with spice mixture, and gently pat mixture onto fish.
3. Place fillets into hot pan without crowding. Carefully pour about 1 teaspoon melted butter over each fillet. Cook until fish has a charred appearance, about 2 minutes. Turn fillets, spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter over each, and cook until charred. Repeat with remaining fish.

Obligatory Titty notice:

Yes. This is a c/p as well, twat.

It's hella easier to c/p than type all that shit.

Guess Who

Jun 25, 2009
usa
So, thanks for all your contributions!

If anyone is interested, in the end I cooked it with the head on ... but decided to cut the tail off (yes, I'm strange) and followed Scabby's first recipe loosely...in that I didn't have any tomatoes or wine....

However! It turned out yummy.

Except for the bones.

I hate bones.
nice to hear
Blackened Fish is excellent and easy to make.
(Make sure your kitchen is well ventilated.)
This requires cleaning the fish though. Maybe save this recipe for next time you buy fillets at the store.

INGREDIENTS
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 2 teaspoons dry mustard
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon white pepper
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
* 6 (4 ounce) fillets trout
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, mix together paprika, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper, white pepper, thyme and salt; set aside. Heat a heavy cast iron pan on high heat until extremely hot, about 10 minutes.
2. Pour 3/4 cup melted butter into a shallow dish. Dip each fillet into butter, turning once to coat both sides. Sprinkle both sides of fillets with spice mixture, and gently pat mixture onto fish.
3. Place fillets into hot pan without crowding. Carefully pour about 1 teaspoon melted butter over each fillet. Cook until fish has a charred appearance, about 2 minutes. Turn fillets, spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter over each, and cook until charred. Repeat with remaining fish.

Obligatory Titty notice:

Yes. This is a c/p as well, twat.

It's hella easier to c/p than type all that shit.
read above comment.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
I hate trout. And mackerel.

I'm a fan of salmon fillet - easily cooked, no bones, scales, head or anything gut-like. Just a nice subtle flavour that can be enhanced in any way you prefer.

Sorry Mamba, that was really no help at all.