Info Freezing Shellfish & Fish?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
How long would you say you can safely freeze shellfish? I've had some fresh (cooked) shrimp in my freezer that I forgot about, I bought it at the end of August (28th) I heard you could only freeze safely for 3 months, but I wondered if any of you guys had kept shellfish a little bit longer and it was okay?

I'll probably end up throwing them out anyway, just curious. (I love shrimp and I'm kicking myself for forgetting about them!)

Also I have some Halibut that I bought around the same time, give or take a couple of days. Would that be okay to eat? I heard that fish lasts longer, especially lean fish?

Thanks!

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
One month for the shrimp and 2 months for the halibut.
Commercially frozen fish can last up to 12 months but a domestic fridge time is significantly less.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Actually if its done correctly Fish can be ok up to 24 months or more and shrimp around 18 months. Beef is ok up to 36 months. Thats in a vacum sealed manner. I know the fish I just bought that way has a expiration Jan 2010.

edit. . and thats fresh with no additives.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I don't have a fancy shmancy vacuum seal thingy - but what we do that seems to work well is taking a gallon freezer bag, adding the fish, and then filling it completely with water to freeze. It's a big hunk of ice, but I've got a load of halibut and cod that I need to last awhile.

On topic: I would throw both out.

SittinGrumpy

Everything I found when I googled said that as long as it doesn’t look freezer burnt and isn’t changing colors then it is fine.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Actually if its done correctly Fish can be ok up to 24 months or more and shrimp around 18 months. Beef is ok up to 36 months. Thats in a vacum sealed manner. I know the fish I just bought that way has a expiration Jan 2010.

edit. . and thats fresh with no additives.
Well the shrimp I bought fresh with the shells on, then I put in a plastic bag and tied a knot and put it in the freezer. I know its not vacuum sealed, so I guess I better throw it out?

Thanks for this.

Josie, do you put the fish in a load of separate freezer bags or all in one? How does that work? My freezer isn't very big... and how to you defrost a big hunk of ice to get the fish... do you then need to refreeze the rest once defrosting? I'm new at this. :yociexp37:

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Well the shrimp I bought fresh with the shells on, then I put in a plastic bag and tied a knot and put it in the freezer. I know its not vacuum sealed, so I guess I better throw it out?

Thanks for this.

Josie, do you put the fish in a load of separate freezer bags or all in one? How does that work? My freezer isn't very big... and how to you defrost a big hunk of ice to get the fish... do you then need to refreeze the rest once defrosting? I'm new at this. :yociexp37:
Actually you can do it the reverse too. Put the fish in a zip lock and submerge the bag (except the opening) in water pushing all the air out. Then seal it. It will create a cheap vacuum for your food.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Actually you can do it the reverse too. Put the fish in a zip lock and submerge the bag (except the opening) in water pushing all the air out. Then seal it. It will create a cheap vacuum for your food.
Oh, thanks.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Ooooh! This is a much better idea.