Geisha.....FYI

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Here is another misconception I hope to make clear.

Geisha 芸者 (pronounced Gei and in gay, and Sha as in sharp) are entertainers usually attending banquets playing intrutments. The Gei in Geisha means "to entertain" and Sha means a person. Contrary to the movies you see and books you read, geisha are not the young pretty Japanese prostitutes wearing the white make-up.
Geisha are the older women who train apprentices (the ones wearing the white make-up) in the arts like wearing kimono, serving tea, flower arrangement and dance as well as mannerisms.

Here are two Geisha on the left and right of this picture....

The apprentices of Geisha are called Maiko 舞子 (pronounced Mai as in eye and ko as in loco) and here is a picture showing on such lovely in the Gion section of Kyoto........

Now, with this picture, you see where the mistake is made as to Geisha (or Maiko) being prostitutes....

Oiran or courtesans/prostitutes 花魁 meaning "chief flower" during the Edo period present in the outskirts called Yoshiwara meaning "floating world", were the tops in their field and fetched the highest prices for their services.
Notice her Obi or belt. It is worn backwards to show her as Oiran.
In the picture above, the Oiran is doing a special parade, to show the district that she is in the highest position (of course there are no Oiran today).

Here is an idea of her procession through the district, announcing her right as "queen of Yoshiwara"....Check out her walk.........
[video=youtube;yNncpdEFOB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNncpdEFOB0[/video]

Lastly, the word for prostitute in Japanese is Baishun 売春.
Notice the characters here. The first one means "to buy" and the second means "spring"....to buy spring.........lovely word.

Once again, it has been my pleasure....

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
^^^Yea, at least now I know to pronouce it "GAY" and not "Geee." Boy does that save me a lot of embarrassment amongst my many asian ho's.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Actually, I thought it was pretty interesting.
Thanks!

^^^Yea, at least now I know to pronouce it "GAY" and not "Geee." Boy does that save me a lot of embarrassment amongst my many asian ho's.
Correct pronunciation in any language goes a long ways.
We don't want those Nipponese ho's giggling at your talk now, do we?

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
We don't want those Nipponese ho's giggling at your talk now, do we?
Who gives a fuck about 'em? Ain't like they're really human anyway. If they start giggling, just whip out your Gook-Fry-O-Tron 9000 and remind 'em what radiation feels like.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Who gives a fuck about 'em? Ain't like they're really human anyway. If they start giggling, just whip out your Gook-Fry-O-Tron 9000 and remind 'em what radiation feels like.
Try mouthing off like that THERE and see how long you last before someone kicks you ass in.....................Those two incidents were not easily forgotten and quite sensitive.