Giving up.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
I'm quitting. Smoking, that is. Well I'm going to try very hard to, at least.

I've tried before - without success, obviously. The difference now is that instead of me saying it's for the kids, it's now because of the kids, if you know what I mean.

I'm not making any sense, am I?

What I mean is, the last time I tried to quit it was so that the kids wouldn't be without a mother in their 20's (I was 33 when my eldest was born). A few days into the *failed* attempt I was faced with a random annoying situation, threw a hissy-fit and reached for the fags. What a cop-out.

The big difference is that this time, the 6yr old Boss of Me is old enough to know that smoking is bad. I didn't tell her I was quitting - she asked me what the sticky plaster was on my arm for. I told her it was a nicotine patch (had to explain what nicotine is) and why I was using it. Her reaction? "Brilliant!".

She is so proud of me. I can't let that kid down. So now, everytime I really, really want a cigarette I go for a hug and a chat with her. I'm honest about my craving and keep banging home the "if only I'd known before I started to smoke" message.

So now I'm on Day 5.

Anyone want a fight?

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
I was a smoker from the age of 10 right up to 22, and I can tell you, it's all in your head. The only real abstinence you get when you are quitting is a small feeling of hunger that lasts for minutes at a time, and that's only for the first week.
After that, nothing.
But since smoking have been a part of your life for so long, you will think about it often, not because you miss it, but because you get a feeling like "now it would be appropiate to smoke a cigarette". I used to get that feeling whenever I woke up, drove a car, just ate a meal, drank coffee, drank beer, drank wine, had sex, masturbated, walked outside, watched a movie, played poker, etc.
Really, most activities you've done while being a smoker will trigger that feeling.

But congratulations to you, it's deciding to quit which is the hardest, and I'm sure that you'll manage.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
But masturbating has been a part of your life for so long, you will think about it often, not because you miss it, but because you get a feeling like "now it would be appropriate to masturbate". I used to get that feeling whenever I woke up, drove a car, just ate a meal, drank coffee, drank beer, drank wine, had sex, masturbated, walked outside, watched a movie, played poker, etc.
Really, most activities you've done while being a masturbater will trigger that feeling.
This would be the only context I can relate to in a discussion about quitting smoking. But I have no desire to quit that habit just yet.

Good luck to you InterStella.

jeepneasy

Dude!
Jul 14, 2009
Central, CA
Good luck.... I have been there a couple of time. The first time I quit smoking was a relatively easy for me. I started again when i was recalled and deployed overseas and that time had only smoked for 16 months but I found it alot harder to quit. The patch helped but found it to be more of a mental challenge as well. Time are tough and you will be tempted to "reach for the fags" but hang in there. Day 5.... if I remember correctly you will start enjoy the sense of taste again... GOOD LUCK TO YOU

SittinGrumpy

Good luck Stella. I quit almost 4 years ago, it was one of the best decisions I made in my life!

Kill_em_All

Family
Founder
Jul 29, 2008
I remember saying, "If cigarettes are EVER over two dollars a pack, I'll quit for sure."

Then when they reached two dollars and twenty cents a pack, I remember saying, "If cigarettes are EVER over four dollars a pack, I'll quit for sure."

I'm currently paying over 5 dollars a pack, and now that I'm in my thirties have the balls to say, "Fuck it. Gotta die somehow."

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
By my math ^^^ the above evidence points to you being in your 50's ... daaaaamn u old girl!
Wow! You really DO want a fight, don't you?

Yeah. Well I'll never be *quite* as old as you, baby.

Btw, your mathematical skills are fucked.... unlike me (oh my god, that's a whole different thread kind of material).

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
I was a smoker from the age of 10 right up to 22, and I can tell you, it's all in your head. The only real abstinence you get when you are quitting is a small feeling of hunger that lasts for minutes at a time, and that's only for the first week.
After that, nothing.
But since smoking have been a part of your life for so long, you will think about it often, not because you miss it, but because you get a feeling like "now it would be appropiate to smoke a cigarette". I used to get that feeling whenever I woke up, drove a car, just ate a meal, drank coffee, drank beer, drank wine, had sex, masturbated, walked outside, watched a movie, played poker, etc.
Really, most activities you've done while being a smoker will trigger that feeling.

But congratulations to you, it's deciding to quit which is the hardest, and I'm sure that you'll manage.

Erm.... thanks, I think?

So anyway, I'm not the only person on the face of the earth to have started smoking at the tender age of 10. But that wasn't when I started to smoke regularly.... that didn't happen until I was 15 (ergo 25 years of teh faggage).

But really Crabman, the only thing in my head is the fuzzy/woozy feeling I get if I don't apply a nicorette patch in good time after getting up in the morning. If I use it too late I have to rely on the inhalator. << Quick fix nicotine.

And then I start to function normally. Gawd I feel like a fucking heroin addict.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!

Many thanks, Coolio. Buahahaha... !

Good luck.... I have been there a couple of time. The first time I quit smoking was a relatively easy for me. I started again when i was recalled and deployed overseas and that time had only smoked for 16 months but I found it alot harder to quit. The patch helped but found it to be more of a mental challenge as well. Time are tough and you will be tempted to "reach for the fags" but hang in there. Day 5.... if I remember correctly you will start enjoy the sense of taste again... GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Not sure about the sense of taste, but I tell ya - my sense of smell is changing!

I want a divorce.

j/k

Good luck Stella. I quit almost 4 years ago, it was one of the best decisions I made in my life!

Thanks Grumps. And thanks for the *you know what* in PM. *hugs*

I remember saying, "If cigarettes are EVER over two dollars a pack, I'll quit for sure."

Then when they reached two dollars and twenty cents a pack, I remember saying, "If cigarettes are EVER over four dollars a pack, I'll quit for sure."

I'm currently paying over 5 dollars a pack, and now that I'm in my thirties have the balls to say, "Fuck it. Gotta die somehow."

I said more-or-less the same thing when they went over £3 a packet.... then £4, and then £5.

And now I have the balls to say "Fuck it. Gotta die somehow. Might as well not bother with the 'Pay-As-You-Go' scheme".

bahumbas

Dude!
Aug 29, 2009

I couldn't help laughing at that comment. NO offense to you but it reminds me of my own life and my attempt at quiting bad habits.

bahumbas

Dude!
Aug 29, 2009
This would be the only context I can relate to in a discussion about quitting smoking. But I have no desire to quit that habit just yet.

If I couldn't masterbate there would be nothing else left in life for me to be happy about. >''''<

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
Just had a re-lapse. Smoked almost half a cig (about 3 or 4 pulls - I wasn't going daft).

I went to the doctors yesterday and got my own prescription for nicotine therapy patches and started using them this morning (I've been using Teh Fella's patches for 6 days, but he has the 24hr patch and they gave me the worst nightmares ever).

So, after expaining the above, the doctor prescribed me the 16hr patches. But I don't know if I had a bad 'non-fag' day, or if they are just not working out well for me. My new patches are 15mg each, as opposed to the 21mg I've been using. I understand that they are on a slow-release (nicotine-wise) but I'm not sure if this is the reason for my mood today.

I'll not finish that ciggie.

I want to fight again.

This is difficult. Ffs.

:arghh:

SittinGrumpy

The average smoker attempts to quit five times before they are successful.

Stella, just try again. We all fail at something, the point is to keep trying until you get there.

Fuck what everyone else thinks, its your walk.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I'll not finish that ciggie.

I want to fight again.

This is difficult. Ffs.

:arghh:
I was a late smoker in my life. About 2 packs a day, maybe 6 years ago, during my divorce period.

I think what you may help you is and incentive.....find one.
Mine was my wife. She will not allow it in her life, in the house, outside the house...........and that was good enough for me to quit cold turds....

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Stella, you are brainwashed.

Read this and all will be well:

I read it, and it fucking worked.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm with Scabby on this one, quitting isn't about physical things like needing nicotine and what not.
Sure you go through nicotine withdraws because it is an addiction, but that goes away in about a week or so.
It's really 99% in your head.

Once you can get the psychological shit sorted out you'll be able to quit no problem.
Right now, it sounds like you are obsessing over it too much. You gotta think of it like it's no big deal or you will continue to think about it all of the time, and in doing so you will just make it harder on yourself. Right now you are thinking "uh oh, can't smoke right now because i've quit", but doing that several times a day will only bring smoking to the front of your mind, and in turn make it harder for you to just quit and move on.

I haven't read the book yet, but i've heard great reviews about it so if i were you, I'd at least check it out. :)

Btw, I'm very proud of you for deciding to quit, this whole quitting thing will be a great learning experience for your children. They'll be better able to understand that smoking isn't something that should be taken lightly. And that most folks don't want to be smokers forever so inevitably they would have to go through this whole crazy quitting period that isn't much fun at all.

I kinda wish my parents quit infront of me, but being the snotty little know it all that i was, i figured that i could do whatever i wanted and i would be strong enough to just quit at will no problem and that only weak people had trouble quitting... Boy was i a delusinal kid. haha