Grandma: Octuplets mom obsessed with having kids

SittinGrumpy

LOS ANGELES – The woman who gave birth to octuplets this week conceived all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, is not married and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager, her mother said.

Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."

Nadya Suleman, 33, gave birth Monday in nearby Bellflower. She was expected to remain in the hospital for at least a few more days, and her newborns for at least a month.

A spokeswoman at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said the babies were doing well and seven were breathing unassisted.

While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

Angela Suleman said her daughter always had trouble conceiving and underwent in vitro fertilization treatments because her fallopian tubes are "plugged up."

There were frozen embryos left over after her previous pregnancies and her daughter didn't want them destroyed, so she decided to have more children.

Her mother and doctors have said the woman was told she had the option to abort some of the embryos and, later, the fetuses. She refused.

Her mother said she does not believe her daughter will have any more children.

"She doesn't have any more (frozen embryos), so it's over now," she said. "It has to be."

Nadya Suleman wanted to have children since she was a teenager, "but luckily she couldn't," her mother said.

"Instead of becoming a kindergarten teacher or something, she started having them, but not the normal way," he mother said.

Her daughter's obsession with children caused Angela Suleman considerable stress, so she sought help from a psychologist, who told her to order her daughter out of the house.

"Maybe she wouldn't have had so many kids then, but she is a grown woman," Angela Suleman said. "I feel responsible and I didn't want to throw her out."

Yolanda Garcia, 49, of Whittier, said she helped care for Nadya Suleman's autistic son three years ago.

"From what I could tell back then, she was pretty happy with herself, saying she liked having kids and she wanted 12 kids in all," Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."

Garcia said she did not ask for details.

Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counseling, college spokeswoman Paula Selleck told the Press-Telegram.

Her fertility doctor has not been identified. Her mother told the Los Angeles Times all the children came from the same sperm donor but she declined to identify him.

Birth certificates reviewed by The Associated Press identify a David Solomon as the father for the four oldest children. Certificates for the other children were not immediately available.

The news that the octuplets' mother already had six children sparked an ethical debate. Some medical experts were disturbed to hear that she was offered fertility treatment, and troubled by the possibility that she was implanted with so many embryos.

Others worried that she would be overwhelmed trying to raise so many children and would end up relying on public support.

The eight babies — six boys and two girls — were delivered by Cesarean section weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces and 3 pounds, 4 ounces. Forty-six physicians and staff assisted in the deliveries.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

I wanted to see what everyone/anyone thought of this

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I've been following the story of that idiotic whore for about 5 days now.

I've come to the conclusion that some motherfucker needs to go to jail.

ANY med professional that agreed to this bullshit should immediately get their license to practice revoked at a minimum and YEARS in prison at best.

EVERY one of that stupid whore's brats need to immediately be taken into the foster system as she is OBVIOUSLY unable to make a proper responsible decision.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
That's got to be child abuse some how, i mean this woman obviously needs help and yet they still let her go through with it?

She seems to me like she is a child hoarder.. and we all know what condition most hoarder's fixations are in...i wouldn't be surprised if they went and check out her kids and found them living in a dumpy trailer, packed together like cockroaches. haha

I however feel no sympathy for the grandma, she could have cut this shit off early when she started noticing a pattern in her daughters behavior. But she just chose to ignore it and enable her to continue until it got out of hand, now all of these poor kids are going to have to grow up in that crazy environment.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
That's got to be child abuse some how, i mean this woman obviously needs help and yet they still let her go through with it?

She seems to me like she is a child hoarder.. and we all know what condition most hoarder's fixations are in...i wouldn't be surprised if they went and check out her kids and found them living in a dumpy trailer, packed together like cockroaches. haha

I however feel no sympathy for the grandma, she could have cut this shit off early when she started noticing a pattern in her daughters behavior. But she just chose to ignore it and enable her to continue until it got out of hand, now all of these poor kids are going to have to grow up in that crazy environment.

Well put.

If any woman ever needed a cunt punt it is indeed that woman.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I have so many issues with this... If I'm awake enough and less occupied later, I'll delve into them.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well put.

If any woman ever needed a cunt punt it is indeed that woman.
Hehe yep i know first hand at the conditions that kids are in when they are 'collected' like that.
I'm the youngest of ten and was practically raised by my sisters... It sucked and not in a immature "waaaaah my parents aren't fair" kind of way either. :baffled:

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Hehe yep i know first hand at the conditions that kids are in when they are 'collected' like that.
I'm the youngest of ten and was practically raised by my sisters... It sucked and not in a immature "waaaaah my parents aren't fair" kind of way either. :baffled:

Indeed.

I'm one of Nine.

If I had not had the presence of mind to join the military @ 17 I would most likely be living in Mississippi,
married to one of my cousins and have 6 bug eyed brats running around.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Indeed.

I'm one of Nine.

If I had not had the presence of mind to join the military @ 17 I would most likely be living in Mississippi,
married to one of my cousins and have 6 bug eyed brats running around.
Holy fuck, you just described the rest of my siblings...all except for me that is.
I'm the black sheep..i moved out when i was 17 too, i saw what happened to people when left to rot in those unhealthy conditions for long periods of time.

They think I'm stupid because I'm already at the ripe old age of 22 and don't have any kids of my own yet. All of the rest of my siblings started having kids when they were 19...some have quite the collection now. A few of them are even trying for a even ten like my mom...

I love my family to death but sometimes i just want to kick all of their asses...real hard.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
(I'll start for now... the coffee may kick in soon)

** If you are unable to have children yourself, why not adopt a baby or child that needs a better home? - this is also good for controlling the number. If you already have eleventy million children, they aren't going to let you adopt more. I know one of her big issues was that she wants to breastfeed all of them... well, she could 'relactate' and breastfeed her adopted babies as well.

** Having that many babies growing in one uterus is very, VERY dangerous. There could have been some major problems - causing huge, and potentially painful issues for the fetuses. It's really selfish to go into the whole ordeal with that knowledge and still want to continue.

** There is no way one woman can care for that many children, much less provide for them.

** Who the hell PAID her to have that many children? And how much?? Is this some part of a sick experiment on human abilities to carry litters?

** Grandma is just as worthless. What is she thinking? If she really cares about the kids and her daughter's mental state, she wouldn't be offering nothing but ridicule. Because of all the kids, this woman is at risk for severe depression and is already a little crazy - the more judgment she's offered and boxed in she feels, the worse the situation for the kids. Rather than bad mouthing her daughter to some news reporter, she needs to either suck it up and help her daughter out because she cares about the children or she needs to be working with CPS to provide the children safe environments.

** No matter what situation these children ultimately end up in, they are going to have difficult to manage issues because of this. 1) mom is a single nut job 2) They won't be able to have the attention they need 3) probably developmental delays associated with multiples and preterm birth 4) Separation/trust/attachment issues when they are taken away from their mother and siblings to be placed in foster homes (which may not be much of an upgrade from their previous situation anyhow), and then possibly adopted into another family.

Sheesh!

SlimSkeeter

I....really have nothing to add except I agree with everything said so far about the topic at hand. Kudos all around if at all possible.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Just hold on one durn minute!

This woman could be a carrot farmer and need all them there kids to help out on the farm. There are chickens to feed and the cows need milking!
Newp, sadly she lives in a small three bedroom house with her parents and six other kids not including the 8 she just popped out...

There's gotta be laws about having so many people in one house...like where is the nursery, are the new babies just going to kinda get stacked up the walls or what? haha

Can you even imagine the laundry? Do all of the kids share one root wardrobe of clothes? How about meal times...do you honestly think all of the kids are even eating enough...that's not even going into the fact that their mother is going to have to be away at work all day to support them so there is no way she spends enough time with them...and hell the babys at the hospital arn't even named yet..they are only called letters from A to H...

If this chick is on welfare they need to take away atleast some of the kids she just popped out so they can start out with normal lives. People limit the amount of kids they have for a reason...

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
If this chick is on welfare they need to take away atleast some of the kids she just popped out so they can start out with normal lives. People limit the amount of kids they have for a reason...

Alas this is not the case.

The TAX laws are written to encourage a LARGE family.

The TAX laws are also written to penalize pursuit of a large income.

State and federal social programs reward the large family and PENALIZE the single person or couple.

See EIC and SEE deductions per dependent.

The shit is EXACTLY opposite of what an intelligent person would call fair.

Have no kids, have a good job, have a responsible credit history and BAM you = fucked @ tax time.

Have a copious vagina farm, need constant social support and BAM you = rewarded @ tax time.

SittinGrumpy

Octuplets mom gets TV, book offers to tell story

By JOHN ROGERS
Associated Press Writer

Posted: Today at 4:14 p.m.
Updated: Today at 7:21 p.m.

LOS ANGELES — The mother of the world's longest-living octuplets is being deluged with offers for book deals, TV shows and other business proposals, but has not decided what she might do other than care for her children, her newly hired spokeswoman said Monday.

Hundreds of requests have been made since Nadya Suleman gave birth to six boys and two girls a week ago, said Joann Killeen, president of Killeen Furtney Group, a public relations company.

"She's the most sought after mom in the world right now," Killeen said. "Everyone wants to talk to her."

But Suleman, who remained hospitalized with her children Monday at Kaiser Permanente's Bellflower Medical Center, hasn't decided what she'll do next, Killeen said.

Some of the deals and requests for interviews involve offers to pay, said Killeen and her partner, Mike Furtney. They didn't reveal the amounts being offered, but Killeen noted that raising eight babies will be expensive, adding that Suleman plans to carefully review her financial opportunities.

"Right now her top priority is to be the best mom she can be to all her children," she said. "She's hired us to manage all of those opportunities."

The spokeswoman discounted some published reports that Suleman had already decided to host a television show on parenting. But she added that Suleman does want to eventually tell her story to the world.

"As soon as she's able, she will tell her story, and it's an amazing story," she said.

Suleman, a 33-year-old single mother, already had six children, ages 2 to 7 when she gave birth to her octuplets on Jan. 26.

Her babies continue to grow stronger, the hospital said in a statement Monday. It wasn't immediately known when the octuplets or their mother would be released from the hospital. At the time of the births, doctors said the babies would stay about two months.

"This has been a very good week for the babies. It is always satisfying to be able to see a baby that was born premature continue to get stronger every day," said Dr. Mandhir Gupta, a neonatologist at the hospital.

In seven other documented octuplet births, at least one of the babies died within a week. The world's first live octuplets, born in 1967 in Mexico City, all died within 14 hours.

The first set of U.S. octuplets was born to Nkem Chukwu of Texas on Dec. 20, 1998. A week later, the tiniest infant died of heart and lung failure. The surviving seven siblings celebrated their 10th birthday in December.

Suleman retained the Killeen Furtney Group to represent her last Friday. Furtney said the company, which normally handles corporate clients and crisis public relations, was referred to her by the hospital. Its clients include the Union Pacific Railroad and the California State Parks Department.

Suleman's mother told The Associated Press last week that her daughter has always loved children and had wanted to be a mother since her teens.

Suleman had all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, according to her mother, Angela Suleman, who is caring for the other six while her daughter is hospitalized.

---

Associated Press Writer Shaya Tayefe Mohajer contributed to this story.

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/4452403/