Help: Formating hard drive

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I have a 500G HD with 60G set aside for C drive OS (Vista) and
E drive and F drive taking up the rest evenly.

Problem is, my C is in the red and only 5G left.
I have tried to delete as much as I can.

Most of my apps, movies, games, pic and so forth go into E or F, but some files always make it to C.

Also, Auto update will put files into C.

I have no idea what to do but to format, partition C at something like 150G and start the WHOLE DAMN thing again: backing up and re-installing.

Any other ideas? And also, formatting the drive, if I recall is not an easy thing with Microsoft.

HELP!

SlimSkeeter

Re-size the partitions. There are several free programs out there that will do the trick.

Hell, Linux comes with one when you get a release. And you don't have to format. There is also a version that doesn't require you to run it under linux. The program is called GParted and you can download the file for the live CD here and burn the ISO file to a CD. Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to go about using the program.

HOWEVER, formatting with Windows is NOT difficult, generally. At least for me, but I've borked Windows plenty of times and I've got practice. Time consuming, perhaps, but not difficult. The only difficulty happens when you do it more than, I think, three times with a given key code. Then you have to call Microsoft and verify that you are only using it for personal use.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Re-size the partitions. There are several free programs out there that will do the trick.

Hell, Linux comes with one when you get a release. And you don't have to format. There is also a version that doesn't require you to run it under linux. The program is called GParted and you can download the file for the live CD here and burn the ISO file to a CD. Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to go about using the program.

HOWEVER, formatting with Windows is NOT difficult, generally. At least for me, but I've borked Windows plenty of times and I've got practice. Time consuming, perhaps, but not difficult. The only difficulty happens when you do it more than, I think, three times with a given key code. Then you have to call Microsoft and verify that you are only using it for personal use.
I checked out your links and it sounds cool so far, but.....
It said nothing about a Windows OS.
Are you sure it will work with Windows?

Can you point be to one of those other free programs, just in case?

Thanks mucho for your help. Glad to hear I don't have to re-format.

Edit: I'll be investigating www.download.com for those programs. See a few already.
Thanks!

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
if you go the live CD route, what you would actually do is burn the ISO to a disc, reboot your computer, boot from the disc, and use gparted to manage the partitions on your hard drive.

there's no reason to do that, though. windows has had a built-in tool since vista that allows you to resize partitions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Hi Dunamis! Long time, no see.

I am using Vista in the Cantonese version, so a bit of a trick to navigate, but that link you sent was a great help!

Turns out, I had to shrink the F drive to get more space to the C drive.

Thanks for that, man!