Hiking

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
suki, and anyone else, what places have you hiked, do you prefer climbing like north facing, or hiking up trails or the casual walk? What was your all time favoret and best expiernce.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
suki, and anyone else, what places have you hiked, do you prefer climbing like north facing, or hiking up trails or the casual walk? What was your all time favoret and best expiernce.

I'm a 'road less traveled' kinda guy.

The places I've been can usually ONLY be found on older maps or maps issued to the forest services.

If I see a food wrapper .. or foot prints that don't belong to Sasquatch .. then I consider it NOT to be true wilderness.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008

The places I've been can usually ONLY be found on older maps or maps issued to the forest services.

If I see a food wrapper .. or foot prints that don't belong to Sasquatch .. then I consider it NOT to be true wilderness.
I once ate at an Arby's wearing sandals.

...With no socks on!!!!

[video=youtube;8lXdyD2Yzls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXdyD2Yzls[/video]

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
When I used to go hiking, I would go up in the mountains in PA. I hiked up trails, and I did casual walks as well. I have to get back into that..haven't done it since getting pregnant.

I love being outside. I love nature. So anytime I hiked, went camping, went bikeriding, it was the best experience for me.

My worst experience though, was when we were hiking somewhere upstate New York, and I got bit by some spider. I couldn't breathe, kept passiing out, and my throat was closing. It was horrible. To this day, I dnt know what kind of spider bit me, but thankfully I was okay.

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere

I agree for the most part. I still visit woods near where i am at, and i always find myself going 4-5 miles in them until i get to a place where like you said, you know no one has been in, any time in the past year or so.

I've hiked in ny/colorado/cali/pa, only done north facing stuff in colorado at this place called paradise gym. That shit was cool. favoret place was heart lake in colorado. One of those places that we had to hike on the contanental divide or atleast thats what i remember being told at the time. You had to drive to it, then go by foot on the trail, and then break off the trail, then after like half a day you would be around the area. I think it had a bunch of box canons there two. Man as much fun as that was, i almost died twice. Still got the scars. But man it was a thing of beauty! That high in the world and all the mountains and stuff....and the crystal lake...

Thats not me btw. It's some fag who went there and took a picture, because i dont feel like flying to colorado and hiking right now!

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
You should spend less time worrying about hiking and eating tweenkies and spend more time learning how to spell.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
My best experience was climbing the side of a Volcano in Bali starting at about 5:00 a.m.

When we finally got up there some 4 hours later, there was this old shack with some guy in it selling nice hot teas. I thought he was a sage until I started to ask life's questions.

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
My best experience was climbing the side of a Volcano in Bali starting at about 5:00 a.m.

When we finally got up there some 4 hours later, there was this old shack with some guy in it selling nice hot teas. I thought he was a sage until I started to ask life's questions.
hahahah thats an awesome story!

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
titty said:
irony pic
Yeah, my bad, I'm not familiar enough with Twinkies to know how its spelled... but I'd be willing to bet that despite Shade's illiteracy, HE knows EXACTLY how their spelled, how their made, the exact ingredients, their shelf-life and who invented them.

suki

Family
Apr 1, 2008

I have to admit that I'm a hiker more by necessity than desire. not that I dont' LOVE the woods...just that I usually like to be 'sending something when I'm there.

so...unfortunately, most of my hiking is done with the sole purpose of getting me to the crag. it doesn't mean that I don't occassionally get my ass completely fucking lost in the middle of nowhere with 35 lbs on my back...

I was once told that from ANY point in PA...a road is only a straight 7 mile walk away. I almost tested that theory once on a totally blitzed (yeah. I was high as hell) trek through some shit a hedgehod wouldn't attempt...'til I heard human voices.

I also got myself near death once when I ended up "exploring" a little too far from the cleared areas of a boulder slide.

I probably hiked 15 miles this weekend in west virginny...but all trails I know by heart that are HEAVILY travelled. I also did it without my pack, cause its somewhat challenging terrain and I'm a pansy like that these days.

'ted' is into mountaineering...but couldn't pay me to come with. fuck that. ice+oxygen dep+and bivey sacks can eat my nuts. the alpine exploring can pack sand...

I am really starting to consider a little AT action post-baby, though. once the suckling is weaned, I think it would be good for my self-esteem to spend some alone time roughing it.

'til then, its sissy baby trails with the mutts in tow and a heart rate monitor on deck.