HoChiMin

Stickman

Dude!
May 18, 2008
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I was there late last year. It's an interesting place to visit from a historical standpoint I guess. But overall just really didn't fall in love with it. Make sure you hit up the museums for some awesome propaganda videos. 'American Killer Hero......insert name.....who killed twenty American soldiers and then went and worked in the rice fields at night.' Then again I'm sure you'll love the place. As an interesting point of reference I found Saigon to be the most capitalist/progressive part of the country. But overall not a place I would go back to.

If you've got some time in the region you should consider heading over to Laos. I did some fantastic trekking near the border of China. Plus the people there are far more relaxed and friendly than the Vietnamese. They aren't trying to sell you knock off Lonely Planets every time you sit down for a meal.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Hey Stickman! So good to see you're back in town! Hope you hang around longer this time.

We are only here for 5 days, so not enough time for serious backpacking/trekking. Next time we plan on going to Hanoi and make our way south.

I was there late last year. It's an interesting place to visit from a historical standpoint I guess. But overall just really didn't fall in love with it. Make sure you hit up the museums for some awesome propaganda videos. 'American Killer Hero......insert name.....who killed twenty American soldiers and then went and worked in the rice fields at night.'
I've got a few pics of some of the propaganda billboards I'll upload later. Matter of fact, I can get them in Hong Kong (Chinese version) and have one hanging in my computer room that reads
"Death to all American Capitalist dogs!!" Love it.

Then again I'm sure you'll love the place. As an interesting point of reference I found Saigon to be the most capitalist/progressive part of the country. But overall not a place I would go back to.
I have to agree with you on this. Not a place I will visit again unless I am in transit to Laos or Cambodia.
Staying here makes you feel like you're missing out on the good stuff, though, we just got back today from the Mekong and that was a treat.
We'll head out again into the jungle and feed the monkeys...hehehe

We are staying in a cheap US$30 a night hotel right on the main backpacker street and it has served us nicely.
Saw some incredible HOT HOT women and the usual lady boys. Noticed that some of the bars have hot ladies hanging out in the front as a way to get
the gaijin/gwailo/faranghi into their establishments. NO WAY. Didn't work on me, boy!
Food is cheap and great. Souvenirs are cheap as well and the stay.
Now, US$1.00 is at VND$20,000, so we can get '333' beer (bet you remember that brand) at US$15,000 and Saigon at US$10,000, depending on where you go.

If you've got some time in the region you should consider heading over to Laos. I did some fantastic trekking near the border of China.
No time for that, but next we'll go for Hanoi and some of the beach areas further down south.

Plus the people there are far more relaxed and friendly than the Vietnamese. They aren't trying to sell you knock off Lonely Planets every time you sit down for a meal.
Man, you are so right on that. They walk up to you with a 30 book stack, the upper tier being Lonely Planet books.
The hawkers have a way to get on your nerves and I was approached by kids with no shoes and the deary dew drop eyes.
They stand in front of you and say nothing as you're putting down your "ca phe" with cream. You've got no choice but to hand over a $5000 bill.
Little scammers!! Hehe.

I'll be back later with pics and advice...............
Later!
Love you all!
At least most of you but not all but quite a few though not the great percentage but enough to say I love some of you, but not all.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Here are a few pics as promised. Will load more onto the album in the profile soon enough.

Typical propaganda billboard, with me in full support and my shorts riding my crotch.

This guy won the Vietnam war single footedly. Don't ask me how.

Our US$30 a night love shack.

Still can see French colonial architecture. Real-estate works like this:
In the city, its about US$5000 per sq meter, hence you see slim building going straight up.
Cheaper to go up than to go wide. In the country side, same thing at US$2000 per sq meter.

Fruit lady walking down the main backpacker street.

Questions or comments anybody?

EDIT: Just noticed the date stamps are screwed. Will have to change that.