Husband kills wife for 'single' Facebook update

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Sarah Richardson was separated from her husband. So, on her Facebook page, she updated her relationship status to 'single'.

According to prosecutors, her husband, Edward, saw her new Facebook entry, and rushed to her parents' home in Brown Lees, UK, where she was staying.

He smashed the front door window, forced his way into the house and knifed his wife to death. He then tried to knife himself to death and somehow failed.

Yesterday, he was jailed for at least 17 years.

A story such as this makes me think of certain friends of mine who use Facebook as a stage on which to play out some aspect of their relationship disputes. Somehow, social networking sites give people a new, strangely public kind of arena in which to express their inner thoughts and feelings.

But sometimes, it's the unpredictability of that public aspect that makes these sites a dubious place to do it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10149359-71.html

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
She had it comin. How dare she! Clicking a button and switchin her status like that. In the before time, she would have been drawn and quartered!

SlimSkeeter

She had it comin. How dare she! Clicking a button and switchin her status like that. In the before time, she would have been drawn and quartered!
Sorry...that particular part made me laugh.

On topic, things like this (people taking shit way too far) are one of the things that made me fearful of getting on a social network (I'm on myspace now, though...I seem to have gotten over my fear recently). That guy was seriously unhinged to begin with. I understand feeling hurt and betrayed by someone you loved and who you thought loved you (thats another story, though), but damn! I wonder why she left him?