I am

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
going to bed. But I keep waking up at night in the middle of nightmares. Are there any suggestions besides booze to avoid nightmares?

Lethal_Lefty

[P]resident
Jan 12, 2009
Stop jerking off to the scene of Buffalo Bill in front of the mirror in Silence of the Lambs before you go to sleep... That should help clear up the nightmares.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
How to Avoid Getting Nightmares

By eHow Health Editor

Many nightmares are caused by a traumatic event such as the loss of a loved one, a physical illness, stress or even prescription medication. Follow these tips to sweet dreams.

Step1
Relax before bedtime. Meditate, take a hot bath, drink herbal tea or do mild stretching exercises. http://www.ehow.com/how_1660_avoid-getting-nightmares.html#

Step2
Clear your mind of worries. Make a list of problems and possible solutions, and then look at them the next day.

Step3
Avoid watching the evening news, horror movies or movies with graphic violence right before bed.

Step4
Eat a light snack such as milk or yogurt. Both contain calcium and tryptophan, which can have a relaxing effect.

Step5
Avoid fatty and spicy food, which could cause gas and, in turn, nightmares.

Step6
Give up smoking if you smoke. Nicotine has been linked to certain sleep disorders.

Step7

Stop using any drugs that are not essential to your health and well-being.

Step8
Write down your nightmare when you wake up in a dream journal. Try to figure out how it relates to your life at present to prevent it from recurring.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
going to bed. But I keep waking up at night in the middle of nightmares. Are there any suggestions besides booze to avoid nightmares?
Talking to someone that you care about, and that cares about you is truly the only thing that will quiet the shrill scream of darkness to an acceptable level.

No, you don't have to give every pulse pounding detail .. but letting some of it out is better than sitting there as a pressure cooker.

I went 21 years with everything inside, it turns a human into an animal, devoid of trusting and of being trusted.

Now, you don't have to get all ghey ass emo either, find a balance that suits you.

For me I still have nightmares ... those are easier to deal with. What still pisses me off is the daytime stuff, where a smell or a sound will propel me back into a situation from the past. It's been 4 years since my last combat tour ... it DOES get better.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
try a sadetive
^bad advice

I would have to agree that talking to someone works best (for me anyways). When I have a seriously disturbing dream that leaves me wide-eyed and shaky, calling someone I know won't mind or getting on yahoo to blab to a friend there, or waking up the hub (ha! yeah right...) to talk to him about it helps... but only if I feel like the person I'm talking to is really listening.

You have to leave the conversation feeling refreshed and relieved.