I love food

SittinGrumpy

I am obsessed with finding good food that will not hurt my weight loss.

I wanted a place to share these with you guys.

Some background: I am doing the weight watchers plan so everything I look at boils down to points. I get x amount of points a day to have any way I want to. They give you basic guidelines that help you, example of this... 2 dairy a day, 1-2 lean proteins, 6-8 glasses of water.... there are eight guidelines they want you to follow.

So, I have set myself up to fail every time because I feel deprived. Not this time, I have not gone to bed hungry, I have not wanted something I couldn't have, I have not felt like I have to sacrifice.

So, the purpose of this thread is to share some of the foods I find that help me not feel deprived!

Tonight for supper, I had 4 ounces of grilled bbq chicken, 1 cup of green beans and a small baked potato with 5 butter sprays and 1 tablespoon of fat free sour cream.

For dessert (yes DESSERT!) I had 1 cup of fat free vanilla ice cream, topped with a homemade topping (see below). The dessert was only 4 points!!!

The topping:
1 can of no sugar added apples (the can says for pie filling or topping)
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of low fat granola

Pour the can of apples into a 9 x 13 pan, spread evenly
Sprinkle the cinnamon over the apples
Place the low fat granola on top evenly
Bake until the apples are bubbly

Cut this into 8 servings, and place it over 1/2 or 1 cup of fat free ice cream.

It was SO GOOD!!!!

So, what foods help you not to feel deprived while you are making life changes?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
I love food too.

I eat low fat yoghurt and put low fat cream in sauces... probably doesn't help, but I feel more virtuous.

I like spinach as a health-booster. I put it in mostly everything. Especially soup.

And lentils are great, healthy and filling. Lentil soup is da bomb! Sopa de lenteja..... typical spanish food.

Also I love making salads - lettuce, tuna, sweetcorn, onion, tomato and balsamic vinegar is my fave. I add cooked, rinsed pasta shells to it, or white beans. Yum.

I'm terrible aside from that. I love pasta and cheese.....especially Brie - which has to be the cheese with the highest fat content EVER. I can just eat whole hunks of that... so I tend not to buy it. Haha. And pastries :( (However, I do limit myself on the pastries.. only for very special occasions)

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Re: I love food...

Omg. That was hilarious. I giggle snorted violently with a mouth full of chicken sandwich entirely too much at that. Haha!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Re: I love food...

Steam it with food grade lemon oil or lots of lemon juice and garlic powder. Lightly salt and butter.

I think its flippin yummy! The lemon cuts down the bitter taste and ends up making it kind of sweet. that plus butter? *drool*

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know of a good asparagus recipe?
Grilled asparagus:
1lb asparagus
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Mix together olive oil, lemon juice and the salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Brush the olive oil mixture over the asparagus.

You can cook it via the stove top or grill it, it's up to you. Either way, it takes about three minutes on each side.

Asparagus Parmesan:
1/2 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
1lb asparagus
1/2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
One cookie sheet

Blend the bread crumbs, cheese,olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper together.
Mix until the bread crumbs are evenly coated.

Place the asparagus on cookie sheet and cover with the bread crumb mixture.
Bake at 400 or so for 15-25 mins depending on the thickness of the the asparagus.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Ooh! Also, I thought I'd throw in the recipe for this trail mix that i eat on my diet.
It's realllly good eats when you feel the need to snack on something during the day.
It's good for you, and it makes you feel full without having to eat a ton of it.

1 c whole almonds,
1 c pecan halves,
1/2 c plain oats, cooking spray,
2 Tbsp honey,
1/2 tsp cinnamon,
1 c orange-flavored dried cranberries (Craisins),
1 c dried apricots

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the nuts and oats in a bowl and coat lightly with cooking spray (about 3 shots). Drizzle with 1 Tbsp honey and add the cinnamon, stirring to mix. Spread the nuts evenly on a pan and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once they've cooled, stir in the second tablespoon of honey, and mix in the dried fruit.
Divide the trail mix into 1/4 c servings, place each in a ziplock bag, and keep a stash at work or in the car.

Per serving: 170 calories, 3 grams (g) protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (0 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 0 milligrams sodium

Hope that helps! :smiles:

SittinGrumpy

Thank you for sharing Blood!!!! I will try it grilled tomorrow :)

SittinGrumpy

I have found that I love vanilla almond milk (unsweetened). A cup is only 40 calories with little to no fat. I have replaced my creamer with it and it's what I eat my cereal and oatmeal with now. I was a little shocked at how much I liked it. They also make a chocolate which hubby loves.

I went to an Asian market for the first time in my life today. I have to say I was intrigued. I want to go back when I have more time to look.

Diet shocker of the week.... I have almost completely given up eating out, unless it's at subway. Well today I thought we would change it up a bit, we had to go to the Kroger and there was a Jersey Mikes in the strip.... a sub is a sub right? OH HELL NO!!!! I got a regular turkey on wheat, with veggies, salt and pepper and mustard. When I got home to journal I found out that it was 11 points!!!!!!! The is the same amount of points for a subway ham & turkey FOOT LONG. The sandwich isn't ALL that bigger, so I do wonder what the difference is. Won't do that again.

SittinGrumpy

So, one thing I am trying to do is try new things so that I do not get bored and have lots of variety.

I went back to the Asian market this weekend and found a fruit that was so ugly I had to try it!! Rambutan

I was floored, I love grapes and that is exactly what this reminded me of.

I have 4 lychee at home to try next.