I make spam bots my bitch !!

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Wouldn't some of those 18 guests be just that, guests?
Why can't they be sussing out the forum before joining?
Some must be those Googly page thingees doing their caches.
If they are spammers they can lick my herpe open sores.
:yociexp34:

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Wouldn't some of those 18 guests be just that, guests?
Why can't they be sussing out the forum before joining?
Some must be those Googly page thingees doing their caches.
If they are spammers they can lick my herpe open sores.
:yociexp34:

I viewed the IP of a known spam factory ...one was here trying to register as a new member.

19 tries .... ZERO actual registrations.

BAM !

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I don't understand what a spam bot is. Really.
Simplified answer:

A system of codes and programs that, in this case, are used to auto register and sign in to web sites in order to post spam.

I use a complicated registration system ( called human verification ) that prevents a spam bot from registering.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
Simplified answer:

A system of codes and programs that, in this case, are used to auto register and sign in to web sites in order to post spam.

I use a complicated registration system ( called human verification ) that prevents a spam bot from registering.
So, is that what the slightly scrambled series of numbers and/or letters is about, at the point of registration?

Bots can't read. Right?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
So, is that what the slightly scrambled series of numbers and/or letters is about, at the point of registration?

Bots can't read. Right?

Yes.

Bots CAN 'read' , much like a scanner reads a piece of paper, it takes intuitive deduction to unscramble the words you mentioned. MOST bots are simple codes that are not sophisticated enough to break it.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
Yes.

Bots CAN 'read' , much like a scanner reads a piece of paper, it takes intuitive deduction to unscramble the words you mentioned. MOST bots are simple codes that are not sophisticated enough to break it.
Okay, thanks.

So if a 'bot' got registered, what's the worst that could happen? I mean, what do they do? Do they post random advertisements for, erm, companys, websites, services.... would it be like getting spam email on a constant non-stop?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Okay, thanks.

So if a 'bot' got registered, what's the worst that could happen? I mean, what do they do? Do they post random advertisements for, erm, companys, websites, services.... would it be like getting spam email on a constant non-stop?

The worst they would do is annoy me.

Other than that they are harmless ... much like gnats.