Insomnia

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know of a good way to get a full interrupted nights sleep?
The only thing that's worked so far is Tylenol PM but that shit fucks up your liver if you take it for to long so i'm trying to wean myself off of it altogether but i need something to fall back on.

I exercise everyday but that only seems to fuel my energy, not make me tired.
I don't want to have to get a prescription for anything, but if it really really works then I might try it. As it is I'm getting pretty desperate because I've been going days without even a nap..that can't be healthy. =/

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I have similar issues. My doctor and I are trying to tackle the fibro issues first... so we're trying out cymbalta. If that works, then later she's going to add in a muscle relaxer for RLS and then possibly something else for the sleep issues?

It's all kinda freakin me out at this point. I don't like the idea of being on prescription drugs - but with the way things are going, something's gotta change.

I'm hoping that future research on fibromyalgia will pull up something a whole heck of a lot better, so I can get off this crap and still feel alright.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Ha! i just noticed that i was so tired that i typed out 'interrupted' instead of 'uninterrupted'. Bless my heart.

I know exactly what you mean Josie, i don't want to be doped up just to get a good nights rest but somethings gotta give. I'm starting to what i can only describe as hallucinations during the day. Most of them are pretty trippy, like I'll think someone told me to go do something and I'll do it only to find out later that they said no such thing. haha

I've also been having fainting spells...
I know i really should go to the doctor but i hate doctors with a passion, I'd much rather try to work this out on my own. But if i can't figure out something soon I'm going to have to break down and go anyway, i just figured I'd ask just in case there is another way around actually going to the hospital. =/

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Blood, I don't like doctors/hospitals/people poking, prodding, and studying me either. I have a difficult time going. Bite the bullet and go.

Here are some things that helped me:

-I wrote out a packet of all of my concerns, including an entire IM conversation with my Aunt who also has fibromyalgia. I wrote out an intro for my doctor, telling her that I was writing all this down because I have anxiety issues- especially in a doc's office. I also wrote in there that the reason I'm so happy and cheery while I'm there is because I'm full of nervous energy - so naturally, NO I'm not going to seem like I'm in pain/exhausted/freaking the fuck out.

-Doing some research on your own. (which I know you are)

-Don't involve too much family in your suspicions or how you feel - they'll only bombard you with their own ideas and criticisms - then, when you get back from the doc's, they'll all call to see what they said. Most of the time, you mention a Rx drug, and they freak. Ugh. Fuck 'em. Keep it to yourself until you've worked it out for yourself.

Luckily, she (my doc) was sick as a dog when I went in to tell her I thought I might have fibro. I was nervous as all fucking hell. So she wasn't really interested in my packet right then and said she'd get back to me. She took a vacation right after my appointment that day ( yay! ) and read my pkt, then researched like crazy, called me back in with a gameplan, and ZERO belittlement of how I was feeling.

If you aren't comfortable with your doctor, keep trying new ones. Call the front desk (and keep calling) until you end up on the phone with a girl you feel like you understand a little - as in, maybe she could be cool. Ask HER which doctor she would see and why. Try that one first. Worked great for me :) My doctor is awesomeness 9000.

Good luck! :D *hug*

SlimSkeeter

Honest answer: When I get insomnia, I read The Doctors Book of Home Remedies...not to find a cure in there, I mean I start at page one and go from there. Out like a damn light in 20 minutes.

*EDIT* Now that I read a bit farther in this thread....get your ass to a doctor, woman. Fainting spells are not to be taken lightly.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
You should go to the doctor. I was having the same issues.. I would even wake up, have hypnagogic hallucinations(basically hallucinations while falling asleep or just waking up) and sleep paralysis(where you can hear, but cant move and you feel you cant breathe). I went to one doctor who said I was sleep deprived and prescribed me ambien. I don't believe in those medications, especially since my heart rate drops to 32 BPM while I sleep, so I went to another doctor. He sent me for a sleep study where I found I had central sleep apnea.

A lot of the time, when you have apnea, you wake up a lot during the night, tiredness during the day, have a hard time remembering things that you recently did and you have a hard time falling back asleep.

If you feel crappy, and you have syncope, you should definitely get your behind to a doctor. You wouldn't wanna fall asleep behind the wheel while driving, or just pass out. Hope you get this resolved!

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
^^^To all of the above, Excluding Slim and Superior...

I've got a lot of ideas of how to make you tired...

Legal Note: Negativecool always ensures creepy innuendo finds its way into any primarily feminine thread, guaranteed.

SlimSkeeter

You should go to the doctor. I was having the same issues.. I would even wake up, have hypnagogic hallucinations(basically hallucinations while falling asleep or just waking up) and sleep paralysis(where you can hear, but cant move and you feel you cant breathe). I went to one doctor who said I was sleep deprived and prescribed me ambien. I don't believe in those medications, especially since my heart rate drops to 32 BPM while I sleep, so I went to another doctor. He sent me for a sleep study where I found I had central sleep apnea.

A lot of the time, when you have apnea, you wake up a lot during the night, tiredness during the day, have a hard time remembering things that you recently did and you have a hard time falling back asleep.

If you feel crappy, and you have syncope, you should definitely get your behind to a doctor. You wouldn't wanna fall asleep behind the wheel while driving, or just pass out. Hope you get this resolved!

I suffer from the same thing (apnea) but luckily for me (or maybe unluckily considering the implications) it does not wake me up. However, knowing how other relatives suffer with it, I have to say that its definitely a concern to look into.

SlimSkeeter

^^^To all of the above, Excluding Slim and Superior...

I've got a lot of ideas of how to make you tired...

Legal Note: Negativecool always ensures creepy innuendo finds its way into any primarily feminine thread, guaranteed.
I think you just have one idea that you would like to repeat a lot of times....

Granted, that would probably bore anyone enough to make them sleep.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I think you just have one idea that you would like to repeat a lot of times....

Granted, that would probably bore anyone enough to make them sleep.
What the hell? Are you butthurt I didn't include you in the penile motivated sexual innuendo?

No I will not make out with you!

SlimSkeeter

you are not my type....uncork your ass, spanky, it was a joke.

SlimSkeeter

You must be unfamiliar with how I reply when I actually feel insulted.

My post, too, was a joke. Spanky.
I'm more of an Alfalfa, thanks.

Anyway, ladies, look into meditation. It has helped me to relax and keep my hulk like rage in check and has helped me get to sleep before, as well.

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
NyQuil. Big N, small y, HUGE fucking Q.

The Army's prescribed me like three different meds for sleep and they may as well all be sugar pills.

But when I'm really tired and I just need to sleep, I knock back two shots of NyQuil, wash out the shot glass, sit down on my bed, smoke a cigarette and by the time I put that cigarette out, I'm done.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Heh. Yeah. I was prescribed gababenit or something like that yesterday. It's for chronic pain and is supposed to knock you the fuck out after you take it. I laid in bed from 11pm (time I took it) to 2:30am... trying so hard to sleep. Nothing.

I feel loopy and like "woooo, let's clean!! weeeeee!!" but I am most definitely not tired in the slightest.

Gahh!!!

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
NyQuil. Big N, small y, HUGE fucking Q.

The Army's prescribed me like three different meds for sleep and they may as well all be sugar pills.

But when I'm really tired and I just need to sleep, I knock back two shots of NyQuil, wash out the shot glass, sit down on my bed, smoke a cigarette and by the time I put that cigarette out, I'm done.
Ha!! I use to do that exact same routine with NyQuil!
I know it's all kinds of wrong to mix sleepy meds with alcohol but damnit it's one of the few things that will actually knock me out. =)

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
Ha!! I use to do that exact same routine with NyQuil!
I know it's all kinds of wrong to mix sleepy meds with alcohol but damnit it's one of the few things that will actually knock me out. =)
You may have misunderstood me - I don't mix alcohol with NyQuil. I just use a shot glass because I always lose those little plastic measurement cups that come with the bottle.