Is anyone mourning Paul Walker?

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Co-star of the Fast and Furious movie franchise, Paul Walker died in a car accident recently. I don't mean to be callous and nasty, but I'm a little irritated over the reaction it's getting. When George Carlin died, it barely made a dent on my facebook feed. I actually cried a little hearing about Carlin dying. I was watching one of his clip compilations at the time but it moved me to emotion. He was a brilliant comedian, but more than that he was a modern day philosopher whose witty but cutting social critique was life changing to many people.

With Paul, I don't feel anything at all for him. In fact if I had any emotion at all it would be satisfaction in knowing that there wasn't going to be another movie made with a confusing title about people chasing each other around in japanese sports cars. Unfortunatly, I don't think his death is going to prevent the inevitable release of "The Furiously Fast Furies of Fastness" or whatever stupid thing they have in the works.

UPDATE: I was right. Fast & Furious 7 is slated for 2014, and it even shows Paul Walker as one of it's actors. Do you think the people who make those Fast & Furious movies had Paul killed in this way to promote the upcoming F&F movie? They've got 6 of those movies out now (Who the fuck is watching all these?) and maybe it's popularity is waning too much. And maybe Paul was getting a little too uppity with his contract. (Vin Diesel works for compliments, so he's no problem). I choose to believe that's the case. It doesn't make me care anymore about him dying, but at least it makes something about it interesting.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I don't know the guy.

I've never seen any of the FF movies.

I HAVE seen clips and just with those clips I can see how physics is a mystery to the movie makers of the FF series.

Do I think he was killed as a promotion stunt? No.

Do I think that the studio will milk it for every second of screen time it can generate? Yes.

Do I think that folks will over inflate this dude's worth now that he is dead? Yes.

On a connected note I've been aware of Carlin's act since I was ~8 years old. I've not been a fan and I don't think he was a modern day genius of insightful musings, he was just a dude that had a medium whereby he could articulate in a more direct manner than most other commentators and could "get away" with being a dick about certain things that would get a more 'serious' commentator railroaded off the stage/screen/news set.

John Stewart is like that today, he has a vehicle that allows his shenanigans intermixed with relevant, coherent musings that other news outlets can not possibly replicate.

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
I didn't mind him in Timeline (I'm pretty sure he played in that movie). Am I going to be sad and cry about his death? No. Cause I didn't know him. I don't cry over people's deaths who I DO know usually, so why would I cry over an actor?

As far as the FF movies go? The only one I can legitimately remember watching was the first one. Annnnd I watched it cause I think Vin Diesel is eye candy. Yup.

Titty

Proud White Boy
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Where the sun doesn't shine
I get the impression it's predominantly female mourners. The consensus seems to be that it's a shame he died due to how handsome he was.

Speaks volumes about our current societal values.

At any rate, I'm sure the franchise will continue- and flourish. Hollywood studios seldom miss an opportunity to capitalize on a tragedy; and people will trample one another to watch.

Titty

Proud White Boy
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Where the sun doesn't shine
I saw something a couple days ago that got a chuckle from me. Paul Walker was apparently a Jiu Jitsu practitioner for several years, so someone hung a brown belt on the tree at the crash site- to which a reader wrote in the comments section, "Wow. The tree that finished him was only a brown belt?"

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
I made it to my brown belt in Tae Kwon Do. What a meaningless trophy. Tae Kwon Do is to real martial arts, what the Hollywood Fab Diet is to healthy weight loss programs.

The moves they teach you aren't practical. If you're lucky, you look flashy doing them while kicking someone's ass and people around are impressed. But far more likely, you'll look like you were trying to show off and it blew up in your face because your opponent ignored your prefect stance and just beat you up old fashioned style.

Fancypants

Yaa!
Founder
Oct 31, 2013
I really had no idea who this guy was when everyone started talking about it. I asked my wife and she said "isn't he the guy that played Stifler in American Pie?". Zero fucks were given (well as close to zero as you can get when you hear of a random person who died).

Yaaba

Noob a little less
Oct 27, 2013
I made it to my brown belt in Tae Kwon Do. What a meaningless trophy. Tae Kwon Do is to real martial arts, what the Hollywood Fab Diet is to healthy weight loss programs.

The moves they teach you aren't practical. If you're lucky, you look flashy doing them while kicking someone's ass and people around are impressed. But far more likely, you'll look like you were trying to show off and it blew up in your face because your opponent ignored your prefect stance and just beat you up old fashioned style.
Ever heard of the Korean Martial Arts.............Hopkido?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapkido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBKnrmUQqqM

Chapped Ass

Not all drugs are bad.
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, I have a good deal of respect for most martial arts. I just dislike Tae Kwon Do in particular. As a sport, there's nothing wrong with it. But it's too choreographed and rigid to be of any real use outside of a regulated contest with rules. Unlike Hopkido Kenpo and Judo, Tae Kwon Do doesn't make use of your opponent's momentum. The leverage is all internal, which means you're supplying all the required energy yourself. All the moves I learned were impractical in a real world setting.

I did only make it to brown, so maybe they save all the practical moves for when you're higher up, who knows.

And my own experience with learning it was at Kim's Karate, which is like the McDonald's of martial arts studios. Every time you made a belt, you paid Kim's Karate more money to train you at the next level. So of course, there was hardly anyone failing their trials. I once watched a kid make 9 mistakes in his kata at his trial, and they still moved him up to yellow.

I had just succeeded at my own first trial and I was feeling proud of myself for having accomplished something. My parents were there, and I fucking nailed it. And then that kid gets by after not even trying.....I won't lie, I felt betrayed, especially when I put it together why that kid got by.

Last edited by a moderator: