Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Through the years!

The first diaper I ever successfully finished. Handsewn :) It was just a fitted (not water proof), but it was the beginning!

Upgrade! Several years later... these are some diapers I made for a friend's baby shower. Note the "beef" diaper has red blood-like inside. :D

Prefolds and wipes for a friend :

And now... The latest set! These are small sized covers for a woman here in town. She's BUYING them from me! Yay. I'm not sewin' for free exclusively anymore lol

This is the first one I made before I knew if she was having a boy or a girl. It's got microfleece on the inside - because I thought maybe she would be using prefolds (just a thick piece of cloth folded up and set inside the diaper)... so rather than have the glossy, sticky side of the PUL (waterproof part) stuck to the baby... I added microfleece :) for soft squishy comfies-nesses! :biggrin:

She tells me she's having a boy and wants nothing to do with any sort of "violent prints" like... camo, guns, angry type stuffs. Green fishies! Cute, very boy, and not angry.

SNAPS!!!! This next set is my falling in love with the snap press and lovely, lovely multi-colored snaps. You can't see in the pic, but the blue snap has a lil ooga booga (happy monster) engraved on it. And the white snap has the size engraved on it (small).

And there ya have it! You can totally see me learning along the way through the photos! haha

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
You should seriously consider marketing these.

I my kids days, they were drab looking vanilla in color, though still functionalbe.

Give some out to girlfriends first for their impressions.

From there, you need mass produced at your specs.
There are lots of shops out here in Honk Kong just for that kind of thing.

Let me know what you think, and I could investigate.
We could be onto a good thing here............

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I REALLY love them Josie!
No joke, my sister Sarah said that she wants another baby JUST so she can have a reason to buy a bunch off you without her hubby getting mad. :rolleyes:
I'm trying to talk her down by saying they make pretty cool gifts for expecting mothers...shes got friends that are about ready to pop so why not share the wealth? Also they are a great investment for folks that are on a budget... diapers are expensive yo!

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Out of 10, 10 being better than 1 :

Skill : 8

Design : 8

Usability : -1 (personal scale)

Marketability : 9 ( as long as you target 1st time moms)

As a former shitty diaper changer I can attest that I WOULD NEVER use anything that I had to wash.

However .. you're gonna have LOADS of sells because first time moms are 100% fucktarded for that sort of thing.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
You should seriously consider marketing these.
I sort of am through craigslist.

buddha said:
I my kids days, they were drab looking vanilla in color, though still functionalbe.
Yeah, I know =/ what was up with that anyways? Fabric came in color back then... so like...???

buddha said:
Give some out to girlfriends first for their impressions.
That's pretty much all that's happened til now. I sewed for me, for friends, and for family. Almost all have always said I should sell them. I tried my damndest to get them to be honest about anything that wasn't functional about the design so I could change it. They just kept staring at me and then the diaper and were like "yeah.. well I like 'em."

*sigh* So frustrating. I want stuff that I sew not to have drawbacks. You know, when you have something you really like but there was just that one lil thing - it wasn't a big deal so you ignored it... etc.

I wanna know that stuff!

buddha said:
From there, you need mass produced at your specs.
There are lots of shops out here in Honk Kong just for that kind of thing.

Let me know what you think, and I could investigate.
We could be onto a good thing here............
I think my window of opportunity for that has closed. I should have been on the diapering scene at least 5 years ago. There are so many brands and work-at-home-moms who sell stuff that it would almost be pointless.

There are a million and one different designs. I almost guarantee you there's some woman out there with a fist of cash - her name already stamped on a design nearly the same as mine.

I spent my time customizing to my children and friend's children... when if I was really serious about trying to become a cloth top dog - I shoulda been bustin ass forever ago. :baffled:

Thank you for the info though! I might change my mind as interest grows in my area.... ? maybe?

if I do start trying to do all the legal stuffs and what not, I'll be sure to let ya know :biggrin:

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
As a former shitty diaper changer I can attest that I WOULD NEVER use anything that I had to wash.
Okay, fancy nancy... let's look at it realistically. You change a shitty disposable. You throw it in the garbage. Add perfume to cover up stink. Pull bag of trash (come on.... don't lie. This is nasty all on its own). Walk to outdoor trash bin. Take to curb.

You change a cloth diaper. You throw it in the soak bucket. You dump the contents in the wash machine two days later. Wash. Dry.

...and never come into contact with poo. ESPECIALLY with cloth wipes. They don't seep poo through like disposable wipes. EW.

Same amount of work - 2 different concepts.

cranium said:
However .. you're gonna have LOADS of sells because first time moms are 100% fucktarded for that sort of thing.
Actually, this is not true. First time moms are terrified of being moms (yeah, happy and shit - but they're scared.) They go for what's marketed to them on a mass scale - and what their friends do. What's at the grocery.

MOST women who take a serious interest in cloth have multiple children and started either late with their first child (usually between 6-9 months) or are trying it out with their second child because they had terrible experiences with disposables the first time around.

People want what magazines and tv commercials advertise. That'd the huggies, luvs, and pampers.

It's usually the thinkers/readers that start to go "hmm... cloth... maybe?"

1) for cost
2) for baby's comfort
3) for less icky (myself included)
4) "for the environment" - I'm not sure I buy this. This is also a marketing problem. The way we clean things is wasteful, etc. - I did quite a bit of research on both disposable impact and cloth impact on the environment. NOT considering production of disposables - they're nearly equal. Considering production of disp.s... yeah cloth is a lil friendlier... but really? You're gonna justify "better for the environment" with an inch?
5) they're cuter! Yes, this IS a reason for some switches. haha

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Umm, i think you have that backwards...experienced mothers would be just as willing, if not more so than first timers to buy them.

All of the poo handling aside, having to buy diapers every week is way too expensive for most people.
Folks these days do god awful stuff like making their kids sit in for long periods of time (i knew a lady that used exactly one diaper a day to save money) and that ends up causing more problems. Hell, clean diapers will cause kids to break out, but you can imagine the damage that it does if the kids gotta sit in his mess for long periods of time to save money.

In the long run cloth diapers are just plain smarter. Its just that most folks are too lazy to find other alternatives to disposable ones or they don't fully understand how cloth diapers work.

If you are scared of a little shit, then you have no business having kids...baby's shit, you won't have to deal with it forever, so there is no need to be a pansy about it. :tongue:

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
1st time dads)...
It just occurred to me that the reason we used paper diapers at first was because of me.

My husband was pro-clothing. And ... he's kinda mister macho.

Then, when we finally switched - he was like "see, shoulda listened to me, woman."

The whole reason I ended up doing the research I did for environmental impact was because of him. I was afeared of the mysterious cloth nightmare that I knew nothing about - but I had changed a disposable or two in my babysitting days. So... I used my research to convince him to let me buy pampers.

He was never big on buying diapers every week.

As soon as our grocery bill started reflecting the switch, he further drilled his point home... and when we ran out of clean diapers in the first two weeks and I asked him to run to the store for disposables... WOOF.

Bad times.

LOL he was content to go get a kitchen towel and some duct tape..

I went to the store.

SlimSkeeter

I've always said you do good work. That pillow is STILL on my bed and I use it pretty exclusively.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I've always said you do good work. That pillow is STILL on my bed and I use it pretty exclusively.
:14_003: You have no idea how happy it makes me that it turned out to actually be functional and what you wanted! Happy Birthday all over again!

SlimSkeeter

:14_003: You have no idea how happy it makes me that it turned out to actually be functional and what you wanted! Happy Birthday all over again!
Thanks, but I was just being honest.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Okay, fancy nancy... let's look at it realistically. You change a shitty disposable. You throw it in the garbage. Add perfume to cover up stink. Pull bag of trash (come on.... don't lie. This is nasty all on its own). Walk to outdoor trash bin. Take to curb.
Bullshit.

Your way has the added step of having YOUR washing machine become a fecal swimming pool.

Show me a detergent that is anti microbial or anti bacterial and I show you a family that has constant skin irritation.

I don't give a fuck how trendy it is to have your brat shit in its pants over and over again .. the greatest invention in child rearing since the abortion has to be the DISPOSABLE diaper.

Actually, this is not true. First time moms are terrified of being moms (yeah, happy and shit - but they're scared.) They go for what's marketed to them on a mass scale - and what their friends do. What's at the grocery.
Bullshit.

Any skank that popped out more than one kid NEVER does the same thing with kid two that she did with kid one.

Business plan 101:

1. Set up a shop on Ebay.

2. Market your bacteria farm cloth as the "new" thing to save mama earth, give fake ass stats like "over 100 billion disposable diapers a day are added to land fills".

3. Market to all the hippie SOCAL moms and various hairy under arm hemp smoking crowds.

4. ???

5. Profit.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Bullshit.

Your way has the added step of having YOUR washing machine become a fecal swimming pool.
Oh, dear. I guarantee you YOUR washing machine has seen some .... interesting things.

That said... uh... very lil poo goes in. it all washes away. that + soap + hot water + rosemary oil + tea tree oil = no worries. Even without the oils. You're paranoid.

cranium said:
Show me a detergent that is anti microbial or anti bacterial and I show you a family that has constant skin irritation.
...and you claim not to be a consumer baby! That's where the bullshit is hiding, mister. Soap + water = suds. Suds destroy the structure of bad stuffs. By breaking the water tension.

You do not need the weirdo chemicals they sell you to sanitize a darn thing.

...and those weirdo chemicals are actually less effective (especially in the long run. and really ought to only be used in hospitals, where it really is important to go the extra paranoid step for health safety.)

cranium said:
I don't give a fuck how trendy it is to have your brat shit in its pants over and over again .. the greatest invention in child rearing since the abortion has to be the DISPOSABLE diaper.
haha, you just keep stomping on your own toes. It's okay to like disposables. But um... they're the trendy diapering actually.

Cloth diapering has changed... but it's been the norm MUCH longer than paper/plastic diapers with perfume and special chemicals.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Oh, dear you just keep stomping on your own toes..
Meh ...

On a less confrontational note I offer my services to you; I will set you up a web portal for your creations, your own URL, and maybe a shopping cart module.

I'll teach you how to work it, all you need to do is pay for the hosting fee and they are usually UNDER $15 a month. ( I'll even loan you the first 90 days rent @ .01% interest)

What say you ?

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Meh ...

On a less confrontational note I offer my services to you; I will set you up a web portal for your creations, your own URL, and maybe a shopping cart module.

I'll teach you how to work it, all you need to do is pay for the hosting fee and they are usually UNDER $15 a month. ( I'll even loan you the first 90 days rent @ .01% interest)

What say you ?
HELLZ YEAH!

A couple minutes ago, I was asked for a "store page". I'm sitting here like "say wha??"

Give me a couple months though. I need to work up a stock and sort out the local customers still. Oh yeah. And move. Oi.

You are teh bestest admin there ever was :laluot_29:

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
HELLZ YEAH!

You are teh bestest admin there ever was :laluot_29:
Couple of months my ass ...

Start thinking of your company/site name now .. so I can get the URL registered and start working on your site now before the inventory arrives.

It does not have to go live till you are ready.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Couple of months my ass ...

Start thinking of your company/site name now .. so I can get the URL registered and start working on your site now before the inventory arrives.

It does not have to go live till you are ready.
Why not just take the thread title for a URL josiescreations ?

yeah ...

If you (or anyone else) has a better idea :laluot_27: