Katz & Karz

lowkey

Homeless guy
Jan 15, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I never had a cat. Then I moved in with my ex GF Kat. She had a 14 year old blue point Siamese male. He rarely used the litterbox, she never let him outside, and she told me he hated riding in the car. The poor thing used to sit in the corner and cry sometimes, broke my heart.

It took six months, but eventually he'd pee in the litter box, hold everything else until I came home for our nightly time in the courtyard. He knew his limits of how far he could go, and he'd heel like a dog going in and out, and he ran to go with me everytime I left the house.

He was funny, we'd go to the corner store, and he'd sit on the counter, while the guys at the store petted him, while I got my beer. Kinda weird, but Austin is that kind of town. When I broke up with her and came back to Dallas, I sure missed him, her, not so much.

My new cat I got from a guy who'd raised him since he was a kitten, a really small kitten, who's mom got run over before he was weaned. That would explain why he never learned to Purr, and even though he's a flame point Siamese, he doesn't talk much.

The guy I got him from, said he hated riding in the car, and the only way to do it, was with him in the car carrier. Well, if the only time I got to ride in the car, I got scrunched up in a little box, and went somewhere, to get poked with needles, or my balls cut off, I'd be not liking car rides either.

Well, it took six months for this one. Now when I grab him, he is fine with being carried out to the car. I crack his window a little so he can smell things, and he sits on the passenger with his feet up on the dash, or looking out the passenger window.

What's funny, is the people who drive around with a little yippy dog on their lap. The dog looks over, see's my cat, loses it, and Ol Orion, he just stares at em. Last month we did a hundred mile round trip to visit a friend, and he had a great time staring out the window, and taking a couple naps in my lap.

In short, you can teach an old cat new tricks, and running errands is a whole lot more fun.

Freewilly

Family
Sep 16, 2010
Australia
aw cute, my cat gypsy sits in the front seat on the way back from the vets, I open her carrier and she just sits staring at the window.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
My kitties try to follow me to work. I have to trick them, run down the driveway and turn the corner so they don't see me going. Else they miaow and follow me down the road.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
My Mom used to have a cat like this. The cat was leash trained, enjoyed car rides, camping trips and long walks on the beach.

Ok, I made up the last part...

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I had a 250cc scooter once upon a time and a South American parrot. I use to leash him up to the front of me, behind the steering column. That way, the wind was not so bad on him but he liked the experience. Especially hitting the 405.

lowkey

Homeless guy
Jan 15, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Oh No, Cat on Leash, not gonna happen. Now you can put a harness on a cat, and leave the leash loose, and let him know his limits to initially train him. But as far as walking with the cat and pulling the leash, nah. It's like trying to reel in a five pound bass.

You have to be patient, start off slow, let him know his limits, and work from there.

But in the end, either the cat wants to walk with you, or you have an indoor only cat. Having said that, praise, and treats works wonders.

Mine is at the stage, where if he thinks I'm not looking, or actually, thinks he can get away with it, he'll try wandering off. But he understands, if I clear my throat, or call his name, he has two choices. Come back and get praise and treats, or get run down, swatted, and no more outdoor time.

He's a very smart cat, and most of the time he uses his head, but then again, being a cat, he's just gotta try shit once in a while, because, "Hey, He's a Cat."

Toao

Family
Nov 19, 2010
One of the strays would go for rides with me. It was kind of cool too, because she went a couple years before she'd even let me touch her.

I'm pretty sure she was in this batch

[video=youtube;OCyEWsoWUkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyEWsoWUkQ[/video]