Kinda curious

SittinGrumpy

So, all my life I have heard that whatever you are doing at midnight on 01/01 is what you will be doing all year long.

Another one that I see is people eat black eyes peas and collards.

So, I just wanna know a couple of things....

What were you doing at midnight last night?

What customs do you follow for new years if any?

SlimSkeeter

At midnight, I was about 14 sheets to the wind, hugging, kissing, and shaking hands (depending on gender and how well I knew them) with nearly everyone at the party I was at... I was also fielding several racy sext messages and trying not to let on to the rest of the party that the REAL party was gonna be in my pants.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
When I was a kid, a lot of people did "lead-pouring" on the 31st. Basically, all you do is melt a tiny bit of lead over a candle and pour it in cold water. The shape of the hardened lead will be interpreted and tell the you what to expect in the new year. For example: if it looks like a gate -> you will move. This can also be done with candle wax.

Another very important tradition is to watch "Dinner for One".

"The same procedure as every year, James."

Some people like to drink Feuerzangenbowle - a hot punch, with red wine, rum, oranges, lemons, cinnamon and cloves as main ingredients.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
When I was a kid, a lot of people did "lead-pouring" on the 31st. Basically, all you do is melt a tiny bit of lead over a candle and pour it in cold water. The shape of the hardened lead will be interpreted and tell the you what to expect in the new year. For example: if it looks like a gate -> you will move. This can also be done with candle wax.

Another very important tradition is to watch "Dinner for One".

"The same procedure as every year, James."

Some people like to drink Feuerzangenbowle - a hot punch, with red wine, rum, oranges, lemons, cinnamon and cloves as main ingredients.
In the UK we have a similar drink, mulled wine. Which is all of those ingredients minus the rum. Yums. I make it myself. However, it's more of a Christmas drink than a New Years...

Anyway, in Spain the New Year's custom is... eating grapes. So you get 12 grapes and you have to eat one at each chime of the clock when it strikes midnight... and that's a lot of grapes! Supposedly, if you manage to eat them all without choking horribly... you can make a wish and that wish will come true in the New Year. So yeahhh! I can never quite manage more than 8 or 9...

sigh*

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I'm pretty sure I was having a beer, watching The Superhero Squad with chilluns, taking pictures of me (and them) in the Suki hat(s), and cruising facebook.

I'm confident I will continue to be mom for 2011.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
The 23rd is not even Christmas. Silly Norwegians...
I know!
It's what we call "the night before the night." Which is when we bling up the christmas tree and watch motherfucking dinner for one, yo!

On december the 31 though, to stick to the topic, I gets drunk and call this here girl I kinda like... I've done it for the past few years, so it's kinda a tradition now.

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
I was kissin a co-worker. Ahaha.

I have no traditions or customs that I follow on New Years... nor do I really know of any that I have participated in.

Huh.