Legalize recreational drugs

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
So the Swiss just overwhelmingly approved ( by Vote ) the continuation of legal medically administered Heroin use by its citizens.

" Sixty-eight percent of voters approved making the heroin program permanent. It has been credited with reducing crime and improving the health and daily lives of addicts since it began 14 years ago."

At the same time as this vote was held an additional initiative to legalize Cannabis was struck down.

" Only 36.8 percent of voters favored the marijuana initiative."

It appears that Swiss public perception of Heroin use as long as it is from a Government approved clinic is A-ok, yet Cannabis is seen as a social stigma and could cause a black mark on Swiss tourism by border jumpers coming to Swiss cities just to light up.

I am a Libertarian, I support the LAWS of the land and would have no issue with the United States having a LEGAL drug use policy.

I have MAJOR issues with any illegal drug use because of the uncontrolled nature of the delivery, packaging, availability, and end user use of the substance.

I support a legal drug trade in the US if :

a) Drug "merchants" will be taxed a percentage that will go into a fund that will be used by employers to drug screen their employees.

b) Laws pertaining to use of the drug would include MANDATORY drug screening for all Jobs and the ability for an Employer to deny employment for a drug user.

c) Drugs will be sold by any place that is authorized to dispense / sell Alcohol, with the same stipulation of 21 years of age to purchase.

d) A FIRST time Felony charge for any person convicted of providing legal drugs to a minor.

e) Nationaly recognized dosage limits that are well below a lethal dosage for a single 'serving' of the drug in question.

f) Jail should not be used to lock up a person simply because of a non violent drug offense. With the exception of item C above all drug "USE" violations will only carry a fine/misdemeanor charge.

Bottom line ;

The quickest way to make a criminal and to create a crime wave is to make a thing "illegal". Legalization will reduce crime, will reduce overdose, will reduce the burden on the Penal and Judicial system, will reduce the burden on hospital care.

Also, I believe it will REDUCE the first time use rate because it takes the "mystique" away by having it readily available and it might be seen as less cool thing to try.

( obviously I have simplified a very complex subject and have only highlighted a few areas I find fucked up about the US drug use policy.)

What say you ?

SlimSkeeter

You are proposing legal drug use coupled with more funding for drug screening policies at employment time. Alcohol doesn't stay in the system as long as these "recreational drugs", so if you went out a couple days ago to celebrate getting a job interview, then you would be fine by the time it came to any kind of drug screening, however if you were to smoke pot or do some other recreational drug, you would have to wait a week or more for it to get out of your system. Not to mention most companies now have a random drug test policy. And thats just the "piss test", they can test your hair for as far back as when you started growing it. So basically what you are saying is make it perfectly legal for people to get high on their drug of choice, but make it incredibly hard for them to get/keep a job while doing it?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
So basically what you are saying is make it perfectly legal for people to get high on their drug of choice, but make it incredibly hard for them to get/keep a job while doing it?

Kinda ...

I am saying that a responsible person will take having a JOB over having a snort or whatever.

Fuck em, if an employer wants to hire a fucking pot head than so be it, conversely an employer should be able to fire a fucker that violates any company policy.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
I disagree with those libertarians who try to pin all the blame on their respective governments. Laws criminalising drugs don't drive drug prices into the stratosphere by themselves. The other factor is the personal demand for those drugs. If anyone wants to work for the decriminalisation of drugs, then let them do so, but until those drugs are legal, don't tell us that they have a right to use them. If they choose to use illegal drugs, their choice is helping to kill people. This is not, and never will be, their right.

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
There are countries where Heroin is legal... and there are other countries where its prohibition is not enforced. I've seen documentaries about these communities and its a sad sight. Everyone just sits around on the side of the road and shit ...just smoking themselves to death. You'll probably say "good, let them kill themselves off"... but its an epidemic in those countries. Just about EVERYONE is addicted to the shit. You wanna see that happen to America? I don't think hard drugs should be legalized. Marijuana SHOULD be legalized though. Its harmless. A select few people let it turn them into useless lay-abouts... but the majority of smokers function like everyone else. Legalizing Marijuana ALONE would reap all of the rewards listed above by Cranium.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I used to be on the side of legalization. Mostly because I couldn't really figure out what the big deal was. I found most arguments against drug usage to be infantile propaganda exploiting fear responses from concerned parents (concerned parents are the second dumbest people on Earth, second only to the undecided voter).

But for reasons I care not to explain now, I came to the realization that this would be fucking stupid. Period.

Carry on.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
There are countries where Heroin is legal...
Wha?
Which countries?

On topic: I say fuck em all. "Recreational drugs" are, in my humble opinion, a load of bullshit. If it can be used as a medical drug, however, it should be legal for the ones that qualify.
Like, marijuana for cerebral paresis patients and anabolic steroids for HIV patients.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I've only read the first post. I agree. In my opinion, we are creating our "war on drugs" by that simple act of "warring" on it.

So many crime organizations would lose such a large chunk of their funding that they would slowly crumble, and maybe even cease to exist as an entity. Not all, of course, but there would still be quite a reduction, methinks.

It's worth the extra DWI's...

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Wha?
Which countries?
There are several countries where "prescription heroin" is legal but the only two I can think of where it isn't "illegal" are;

Colombia...legal to have under 1gm for private consumption.

Portugal... less than 1gm is not a criminal offence but can be seized by the authorities.