Let's Cook

SittinGrumpy

Many of you wanted a thread with more longevity then a month of cooking. I agree, so here it is.

As many of you know I am in the process of losing weight so many of my recipes will be part of my new way of eating. I am not posting the calories but if you want to know about certain recipes just PM me.

Being that NC is famous for Pork BBQ it only fits for me to start with my BBQ sandwich.

Pork is not good for you, it is one of the hardest meats to digest. When I began eating better I developed an alternative to the vinegar based BBQ sandwich that is lower in fat and calories.

Ingredients for BBQ:
1 whole chicken
1 cup of Wells Hog Heaven BBQ Sauce

Prepare the chicken:

Step 1: Boil the chicken until it is done.
Step 2: Once chicken is completely cooked, pull it out of the water and let if cool enough to touch
Step 3: Pull off all the skin
Step 4: Remove all chicken from the bones
Step 5: Use a fork and shred all the chicken up

Once the chicken is shredded, add 1 cup of Well's sauce and mix. You can add more if you like, make sure all the chicken is covered. Place chicken back on stove for a 30 minutes on warm. This gives the sauce and chicken time to blend well.

In the meantime, let's make coleslaw.

Ingredients:
10 oz of shredded cabbage
1/2 cup of hellman's light mayo
1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
4 packets of Splenda

Prepare the slaw:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until chicken is ready.

For a bun I use 7 Grain Deli Flats

Assemble:

Place 1/4 cup chicken on the bottom bun:

Place 1 tablespoon of coleslaw and Texas Pete on the chicken:

Top it off and you are ready to eat:

Two sandwich's made exactly this way are a total of 14 weight watchers points plus points.

BBQ has 6 points for a serving, each sandwich has 1/2 a serving
Bread is 5 points for the two sandwiches
Coleslaw is 3 points per serving, each sandwich has 1/2 a serving (you can reduce this by using fat free mayo)

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Yum! Looks good. I've never made coleslaw with sugar, though - or even sugar substitute.

My ingredients for coleslaw are the following:

½ white cabbage
2 large carrots
½ red onion
4 tablespoons good mayonnaise
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to season

Kudos for thread & pics :D

Jul 4, 2010
Virginia USA
What a coincidence! I'm making pulled pork BBQ tomorrow, with my home made BBQ sauce and coleslaw.

Yours looks really good, Grumpy. Mmm... BBQ chicken....

Sugar in cole slaw is a southern US thing, I think. I'm from VA, but I fucking hate sugar in cole slaw. I think I might be bodily removed across the Mason Dixon for my opinion.
I just put mayo, white wine vinegar, cabbage, carrots, salt, pepper, celery seed, and sometimes onion in mine.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Umm... so most of my recipes are not as healthy as yours.. should I make a fatso food thread? :yociexp49:

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
This is VERY SIMPLE and QUICK and HEALTHY
You can use a variation on this with one day being chicken and another time being seafood.

STIR FRY FOR THE WOK (or fry pan)

Ingrediants:
small amount of oil
1 Red bell pepper
1 Yellow bell pepper
(throw in a green one if you like)
3 cloves garlic
3 cloves shallots
1 onion
salt/pepper
cornstarch for thickness
Chinese cooking wine (optional)
Meat: You can use chicken or a mix with shrimp and mussels. Use any meat you like. Doesn't matter.
Note: my father-in-law showed me this with pork stomach

Method:
Put small amount of oil in wok
Add garlic and shallots
Add your meat, cook about 5 mins or until cooked (it will be cooked again)
Take out and set aside.

Add cut up veggies. Make them all even cut for even cooking.
DON'T OVER COOK! You want a bit of crisp to them and not too limp but some can't be helped.
Add the meat back in with the veggies.
Add Salt/Pepper
Add small amount of Cornstarch for thickness.

Remember, this is stir fry, so be sure to stir it at times and cover it up with a lid at time and stir again.
Serve in a big serving plate or bowl. People will help themselves to it, since most Asian eating time is communal.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
This is VERY SIMPLE and QUICK and HEALTHY
You can use a variation on this with one day being chicken and another time being seafood.

STIR FRY FOR THE WOK (or fry pan)
I make this quite often, with all the ingredients listed above - but also: sometimes mushrooms, soya/terakyi sauce and noodles. YUM!

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Umm... so most of my recipes are not as healthy as yours..
Really?? I thought your recipes would all be made of organic healthy veggies, brown rice...soya.... etc. Am I missing something?

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Really?? I thought your recipes would all be made of organic healthy veggies, brown rice...soya.... etc. Am I missing something?
They are! They're also full of healthy fats, honey, etc. Stuff that the typical American views as unhealthy, too fattening, and whatever else.

Sooo... I'll just say it's full of bad stuff so they can substitute the weird stuff in the name of health :)

Toao

Family
Nov 19, 2010
someone needs to try my whole roast chicken I put on the "cooking with Geddy" thread.

Simple & cheap. Start with a whole chicken, 4 potatos, 4-5 carrots, a head of garlic, some rosemary, and a lemon. and of course, salt & pepper, or anything else.

Heat the oven to 400 degrees, clean the chicken inside & out, and peel the garlic cloves, cut the taters into 1/4's and the carrots into couple " pieces or whatever. Put them and the garlic cloves in a baking dish. Rub the chicken with olive oil, and put it on top of the veggies, & garlic, using them as a rack. Cut the lemon in half, and put it in the cavity, sliced side up. You can try other veggies too. Personally, I like roma tomatoes.If you get the packet of fresh rosemary, you have a lot, so either save it for another chicken, or stuff the leftover in the cavity, sprinkle the chicken and some of the veggies with rosemary, and the s&p or whatever, and put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes per lb.

The lemon steams it from the inside out, and makes a nice sauce. When you're done, one kickass yardbird
It really does kick some serious ass, and makes your house smell greAT.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I should have taken pics last night. Forgot about this though. Baked chicken thighs with roasted garlic potatoes with broccoli and green onions. Twas yummers :)

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Lunch today: Watermelon radishes, green onions, broccoli stalks, tomatoes, butter, basil, oregano, garlic, onion, cayenne, cilantro.

the makings:

end result:

served with thai style peanut sauce. Mmmm..... it was good.

lots of butter, lots of sugar in the sauce

SlimSkeeter

Mexican Lasagna!

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I normally use turkey) browned
1 16oz can of refried beans
1/2 teaspoon died oregano
...2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 1/2 cups of water
2 1/2 cups salsa
2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup sliced green onion
1 small can sliced olives
1/2 cup shredded cheese.

Now...that was the ORIGINAL recipe...I've since added and removed a few things each time but you get the idea.

Preheat oven to 350F, lightly spray a 13X9 baking pan with nonstick spray, combine browned meat, beans, oregano, cumin, and garlic powder.
Place 4 noodles on bottom of the pan, spread half the meat mixture over noodles, place 4 more on top of THAT. Spread the other half of the mix over these noodles and top with the remaining noodles.
Combine the water and salsa and pour over the noodles. Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hrs (or until noodles are tender)
Combine remaining ingredients (except for the cheese) and spread over the casserole. Top with the cheese and bake until cheese melts. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

This is how my last batch turned out

On a side note, I fucking HATE facebooks picture viewer... Made linking the picture a pain in the ovaries.