Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
I had a black coworker tell me that she does not have to work Monday even though she is scheduled to do so. She said the company could not reprimand her for not working. Does anyone know if she can legally take off even if the company has her scheduled to work?

I also want to know if I, as a white woman, can take the day off to observe the holiday without consequences too. I'm thinking that my employer would know that I was bullshitting and make me suffer. I believe if she can do it then I should have the right too. It's all about equality right?

What do you think?

SittinGrumpy

The college I went to did not close to Veterans Day; but if you missed the class it was still held against you. The government takes the day off but does not require employers to close for this day or any other.

By law if it was a religious holiday the employer would have to give it to her if it was part of her religion; however, MLK day is not a religious holiday and is just a holiday to celebrate one man, much like presidents day and columbus day.

This being said, there is nothing legally that says she can have MLK day off just because she is black. It is up to the employer as to which holidays they will allow their employees to be off. Now if she lays out of work it will be entirely up to your boss if he/she chooses to reprimand this employee.

My guess is that your company will do nothing about it if she or every black person working there doesn’t show. They don’t want the headache of it all.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Give the whore the day off.
I am sure the office will smell nicer for at least that day.

Lethal_Lefty

[P]resident
Jan 12, 2009
I had a black coworker tell me that she does not have to work Monday even though she is scheduled to do so. She said the company could not reprimand her for not working.
I'm sure she also believes that now that we have our first black president her opinion is going to matter, and her food stamps will be adequate currency for buying cocaine and Marlboros.

I also want to know if I, as a white woman, can take the day off to observe the holiday without consequences too.

Just tell your boss that you're taking a personal day to reflect back on how terrible of an idea it was for Lincoln to abolish slavery. I'm sure he'll love that.

It's all about equality right?

Equality is a laughable idea at best. If people were in fact created equal there wouldn't be a need for the Special Olympics. Some people are better than others, end of story.

What do you think?
I think we have too many damn holidays. "Hey everyone, let's all not go to work tomorrow because it's Tuesday! Happy Tuesday everyone!"

Get your ass to work, because when I pull through the drive through I'm going to want some fresh fries.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I don't understand why black folks don't take off work for Eli Whitney. The man single handedly saved the American Negro with the invention of the cotton gin.

Why no love for Eli!?

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Today the fates are smiling on me. The chick who did not work yesterday will not get paid for yesterday or today. We are out of work due to snow. The icing on the cake is that I get paid whether I work or not because I am salaried. She is hourly and will not. Ha!

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
Today the fates are smiling on me. The chick who did not work yesterday will not get paid for yesterday or today. We are out of work due to snow. The icing on the cake is that I get paid whether I work or not because I am salaried. She is hourly and will not. Ha!
She will believe she isn't getting paid solely because she is a nigger.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
She will believe she isn't getting paid solely because she is a nigger.
It would be precious if she actually argued not being payed by saying that.

"Day ain't payin me cuz I'z a nigga!"

I'm sure her complaint would be given its due consideration and handled with the utmost empathy and care.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
WTF?! She just called me to say she is sick and will not be in again tomorrow! Fuck.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Nah, she got the local welfare office to pay her light bill and can afford to take some time off.