Media center/server

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
I'm thinking that I need to build some sort of media center with a server streaming wireless, and what I have to work with are two laptops, two stationary computers, a surround sound system and a Playstation 3.

Now what would be the best setup be?

I've thought of using the ps3 as the "media center" but I'm told that the bitch wont play files that are rar-packed.
And that sounds 100% suck.

So...
Any ideas?

Like.. an ubuntu media server on one comp and windows 7 media center on the one in the living room?
Or... Perhaps a XBMC ubuntu media center on just one comp and discard the other?

You who are on my facebook already know I fucked up on my first ubuntu installation (goddamn formated the wrong partition), but I'm getting there sooner or later! You learn as you fail.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I'm not that sure that all those different animals will play well together.

Sure .. they CAN ... but do you really want the hassle ?

I'm using 4 laptops , and one desktop as my media storage device, and use my PS3 as the aggregate processor through my Sony surround system.

All of my storage systems are running Intel / Windows. And the Ps3 runs its Os.

I routinely pipe HD format through the walls to my TV with no issues. And for my needs if its NOT in a format playable by the PS3 then I simply don't use it.

I dunno ...I'm not that into Audio only so I've never really had the issue you seem to have.

And really ... you need a device that unpacks RAR automatically ? Why aren't you doing it manually and adding the unpacked files to appropriate archives ?

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
And really ... you need a device that unpacks RAR automatically ? Why aren't you doing it manually and adding the unpacked files to appropriate archives ?
On any computer you can play media directly from rar via VLC, which just unpacks and store the file(s) in the temp file and therefor automaticly deletes itself after a while. Since I'm a nerd I needs to seed as much as I can to uphold a nice ratio on my sites, and if I have to have two copies of everything it takes up hella much space.

So.. I find that the Ps3 will not suffice.

What windows are you running, and what programs?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
On any computer you can play media directly from rar via VLC, which just unpacks and store the file(s) in the temp file and therefor automaticly deletes itself after a while. Since I'm a nerd I needs to seed as much as I can to uphold a nice ratio on my sites, and if I have to have two copies of everything it takes up hella much space.

So.. I find that the Ps3 will not suffice.

What windows are you running, and what programs?
Dude, WinRAR! When I get movies that in rar. format I just use that, and then it unpacks the files turns into an AVI.

I guess you already knew that....?

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Dude, WinRAR! When I get movies that in rar. format I just use that, and then it unpacks the files turns into an AVI.

I guess you already knew that....?
Yup, I use that.
If you play it directly through winrar via VLC, the file get's stored in a temp folder, which is awesome.

To move my topic along, I've now tried XBMC (X-Box Media Center) on Ubuntu, and it works fucking great. It plays directly from rared files, gathers info fron the .nfo files and from imdb and tv.com.
My only issue so far is that I'm having trouble integrating Spotify with the fucker, and making a wireless network that both XP, Vista and Ubuntu agrees on.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Well since I do not have a need for the set-up you require I can offer no assistance beyond what a typical internet search can offer.

If YOU DO get all that working will you PLEASE make a thread in the project center with a DETAILED how to on this.

I'd like to index it on all the Xbox pussy fan boy sites and capitalize on the hit count !

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Go, Scabby! Go Go.. Go, Scabby!

Good job so far (even though I have no idea what most of what you said meant..), and I hope you can get all else worked out. Sounds pretty sweet