Money Ideas

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Hey guys! I got the first letter from my husband at bootcamp today. I now have his graduation date (provided everything goes well). I realllly want to take the boys to see him graduate training.

The problem is I'm brokedified. I need ideas for how to scare up some cash quickly.

I do sew, but I doubt that my sewing alone can work up the cash fast enough. But as far as that goes, what (besides diapers) is of interest right now that's fairly simple? As in, if you were cruising craigslist, what might catch your eye?

I'll also be selling baby/kids clothes by the bag or box on craigs as well. That should pull in a little..

I really, really do NOT want to sell my cello - but it is worth a pretty penny.

I have some books - does the books section of craigs actually get any real hits?

Please do not turn this into a "donation" thread to mock and make fun of what I'm trying to do. I'm dead serious... even if you find it ridiculous or ill-fated.

Any ideas (besides the obvious lewd stuff) are welcome!

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
1. When is the Graduation ?

2. How many are traveling ?

3. How will HE return ... i.e. .does he get to go on leave that same day and will be traveling back home with you.

4. Other important things.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
1. When is the Graduation ? 18 sep 09

2. How many are traveling ? 1 adult, 1 minor, 1 infant

3. How will HE return ... i.e. .does he get to go on leave that same day and will be traveling back home with you. This, I don't know yet. I wrote him asking that same question.

4. Other important things.
Since I don't know the graduation time, I'm planning to arrive on the 17th and maybe leave the 19th or 20th to give the kids a break from plane rides (insanity).

I've already looked up some approximate pricings. Minimum, for the whole trip, I'll need to scare up about 2 grand. bout a grand for the tickets, cash for the motel, cash for taxi, cash for food.

Hehe, he's got some pretty nice tools... if it gets down to the nitty gritty, I'm not above selling a couple of those bad boys haha... I'm not telling him that.

But yeah, I just really need ideas for growing money shrubs. I'm pretty spiffy with logistics - I need a goal and a means to get there.

edit: I've already decided on my motel. low price, 1 mile from bootcamp, good reviews.

link

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Do not, do not sell the cello... one day you will look back and wonder why you wasted something so precious on a man.

How about minimizing the cost of the trip? The children are too young to remember going so leave them with a grandparent, family member, or friend. Not only will this cut down on traveling cost it will give you a mini-vacation which us moms NEED. It will also give you alone time with your man.

You can send out graduation notices to family and friends with a request for cash as a graduation present explaining the trip.

I have babysat many a night and weekends to make extra money, as well as throwing together yard sales. Cut down on your household expenses if possible.. buy cheaper brands and slim down to only the basic stuff.

Every dollar will add up.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Yeah, those are great ideas if she had a target date of 2010.

She has less than 45 days to acquire the cash, less really since she needs to plan the travel with cash in hand.
...and your great ideas?

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
How about minimizing the cost of the trip? The children are too young to remember going so leave them with a grandparent, family member, or friend. Not only will this cut down on traveling cost it will give you a mini-vacation which us moms NEED. It will also give you alone time with your man.
Too young to understand or not, he will want his boys there. Seeing their daddy accomplish something he will, no doubt, be very proud of. Also, for super dramatic bs... that I will not go into... I am the boys' sole caretaker. The few people here they would be safe with do not understand the care for little ones (such as my bachelor uncle. nice guy. not a clue about kids.)

nibbler said:
You can send out graduation notices to family and friends with a request for cash as a graduation present explaining the trip.
=/ that feels too much like begging for my tastes. family and friends are also strapped for cash. wouldn't it feel like a slap in the face?

nibbles said:
Cut down on your household expenses if possible.. buy cheaper brands and slim down to only the basic stuff.

Every dollar will add up.
True dat! Hehe, I couldn't agree more. I don't buy baby wipes, I don't buy diapers (in fact, more than half my fabric stock was FREE!! :D I put up an ad on craigs asking for unwanted scraps. I did indeed get... scraps. But hey, you know what? They work!), I don't buy formula.

I usually cook a lot... but lately I've been feeling pretty crappy... and have been slacking. I need to get back on that... I also got a bunch of small freeze containers (generic brand on sale! woot!) so I can make a huge batch of something like chicken soup and freeze baby and toddler portions to heat up for lunch for a couple weeks.

I... also do not buy toilet paper - except a couple rolls about every month for stuff like nose blowing. And even then, it's the mega cheapola stuff that wouldn't do squat for ass wiping haha

As much as possible, I avoid buying new clothes for myself or the boys. For me, I try to alter the clothes I have to fit me - up a size or down a size and what not. For the boys, I try to make sure to shop second hand kids' stores. They're not so easy to fit though. Especially my toddler... I usually have to buy specialty shoes for him and buy a weird sized pant - then alter it to fit him *sigh*

I don't use paper towels... etc. the list goes on. I'm a pretty good penny pincher most of the time :)

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Offer a service.

If you can alter clothes like you mentioned and are good at it, put an ad in a local store or something and charge per item.

I think the babysitting idea of Nibbler's was spiffy also. You just have to make sure they don't mind you taking your own kids (which they shouldn't)

Have a car boot sale. Not sure what you call it in the US, but you go to a big recreational area with your cars and sell stuff out of the backs, and visitors walk round and buy stuff.

Definitely sell one or two of your husbands work tools.

Only sell the cello if you have enough money from the other stuff first, so you don't just sell the cello and have nothing else.

What about selling diapers that you make?

Just a few ideas.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Oh yeah, you can sell the web cam too.
I'm keeping that. For sure. When the hub is away, I want to have it in case he's able to chat with me via cam. I was actually pretty damn ecstatic when I won that! lol I wanted it more than the PSP. For ^that very reason. With all that's going on in our lives, affording a nice, quality webcam just wouldn't be do-able, methinks.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Offer a service.

If you can alter clothes like you mentioned and are good at it, put an ad in a local store or something and charge per item.

I think the babysitting idea of Nibbler's was spiffy also. You just have to make sure they don't mind you taking your own kids (which they shouldn't)

Have a car boot sale. Not sure what you call it in the US, but you go to a big recreational area with your cars and sell stuff out of the backs, and visitors walk round and buy stuff.

Definitely sell one or two of your husbands work tools.

Only sell the cello if you have enough money from the other stuff first, so you don't just sell the cello and have nothing else.

What about selling diapers that you make?

Just a few ideas.
Thanks! I am indeed going to sell diapers. Problem is they are an involved deal, so I'll need to pad that income with other stuffs :)

I really like the car boot sale idea! I have an apartment with zero yard space, so a garage/yard sale is out of the question.

Hehe, and as for the alterations :( I really pretty suck. But for my own clothes, it isn't too terribly bad... I don't know - could be painfully obvious and I just don't know it!

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
What about teaching a class something you're good at?
Hmm... like a cloth diapering class in my home? I could do that. Make it a cheap fee, and teach the class with my diapers. That would help to bring in some customers for the diapers.

I could also do an iced sweet tea stand at one of the parks around here.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
What about a bake sale? You have those in US right?
Yep. They're usually done through some sort of organization though. I can look into it and see if I can join a couple sales on a one-time basis thing.

You're full of great stuff, lady!

edit: OR I could just sell some baked goods with my tea :D

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Yay! I'm really glad I made this thread. I was worried I'd just be made fun of =/

This is doable. I can do this. If I just set my mind to it, the options are there.