Info Motorcycle Basic Riders Course

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
I will take the BRC next weekend. It will start Friday evening with a 4 hour class room session, followed by a weekend of class room and "on the bike" blocks. All of Saturday and Sunday. I have to pass a written and a driving test. However, this will get me a certificate which will allow me to get my motorcycle license without taking another driving test.

I decided to take this class at a local community college for only $125 instead of going to a Harley dealership and paying $240. Yes, they give you $500 off your first motorcycle purchase, but I don't really have that kind of cash you need for a Harley.

I am excited and a tad bit nervous.

Why I am taking this class? I always wanted a motorcycle and gas going up to $3.50 are a good reason.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Wow, that is awesome. I love motorbikes. Riding on the back of them, that is. Holding on tight!

Good luck for the test!

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
Do yourself a favor:

Get a helmet and wear it.
Get gloves and wear them.
Don't ride wearing flip-flops.

You may even think about going for a full leather/padded suit........though cumbersome.

Don't go for the hype bullshit "It's my right, dude, to not wear a helmet" Bullshit.

One rule about bikes that EVERY rider knows.....and expect this to happen to you........sorry to say:
You WILL go down. Even doing something as easy as getting it on it's center stand can get it to go down.
Stupid things happen.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
You find humor in the strangest of places and circumstances.

Try showing a bit of humility and humbleness.
If you KNOW like you always claim you KNOW EVERYTHING, then just let if fly over your head and be cool about it.

Things are not always what they seem to be..........Christ, I fill like I'm talking to a teenybopper or something.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Do yourself a favor:
Get a helmet and wear it.
Get gloves and wear them.
Don't ride wearing flip-flops.
Don't you worry, I got this all under control.

I am doing my research on helmets, gloves, pants etc.

Don't go for the hype bullshit "It's my right, dude, to not wear a helmet" Bullshit
NC is a full helmet state. Which means drivers and passengers have to wear a helmet. No exceptions and the helmet has to be DOT approved.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/hot_topics/download/MotorcycleHelmets.pdf

I will take the beginners course this weekend. Practice a lot here in our area before I will even consider driving a longer distance (like to work and such).

There are additional safety courses available for experienced riders that I will take as well some time in the future.

Toao

Family
Nov 19, 2010
You definitely have the right attitude about it Absinthe. Some Bikes and other quick/powerful vehicles should require a special license.
Some of the bikes do 0-60 in 3 seconds. That can get out of hand pretty quick.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
You definitely have the right attitude about it Absinthe. Some Bikes and other quick/powerful vehicles should require a special license. Some of the bikes do 0-60 in 3 seconds. That can get out of hand pretty quick.
I am looking for something in the 500 - 600 cc range. If I find a reasonably priced 750 cc, than I might consider it. But 750 is really at the upper end of what I would get. I guess I have to look at a few and get a feel for it.