Movies that looked dumb, but turned out to be ok.

Jenn

True Bitch
Founder
Mar 14, 2008
New Jersey
Are there any movies that you hesitated to watch, thinking it would be extremely stupid only to watch it finally and actually really like it?

This happens to me.. and I learned not to judge a book by its cover this way.

So far these movies were:

Reign over me (I teared up a lot during this one)

Snakes on a Plane. It may not be the best, but its not as dumb as I thought it would be.

Pursuit of Happiness.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Snakes on a Plane was dumber than I expected it to be, actually.

And I can't think of a movie that's happened to me with, recently anyway.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Are there any movies that you hesitated to watch, thinking it would be extremely stupid only to watch it finally and actually really like it?

Snakes on a Plane. It may not be the best, but its not as dumb as I thought it would be.

Pursuit of Happiness.

Equilibrium.

Looked hella dumb, but totally fucking rocked.

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
I watched it twice as well!

Does that now make me cool like you people?

Sorry, I have no tattoos so have to make up for it with cool movies.

Yeah... barely...

Unless you have piercings... they can make up for the lack of tattoos...

Shade

I fucking rule!
Mar 20, 2008
Nowhere
Eureka 7. It looked like a total crap anime, and is now one of the best i have ever seen. ohh and stardust. I don't care what ya say, robert dinero as a gay cross dressing pirate was one of the coolest thing's ever. Fucking halarious. oh and superbad, cause penis pictures turn blood on, and there funny as shit.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Cube.

7 strangers of varing personality type, and professions wake up trapped inside a series of joined Cube shaped rooms that have technological, deadly booby traps installed on them. And the 7 must learn to use teamwork and their own personal skill sets in order to make it out alive.

This movie single handedly brings back into vogue the old "who will survive" slasher flick mystery mentality, that's seems to be missing from most of today's horror flicks. Just sit back, pick you favorite character, and route for him/ her. I'm sure it was a release-straight-to-video production, but with a simple premise, they turned garbage into gold with this one.

Proof that a really awesome plot can completely counteract an obviously low budget...and even some questionable acting abilities.

Also this movie doesn't fuck around. Once the opening credits are done rolling, you're thrust into the situations this movie contains, like a rock star smashing you in the face with his guitar.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Cube.

7 strangers or varing personality type, and professions wake up trapped inside a series of joined Cube shaped rooms that have technological, deadly booby traps installed on them. And the 7 must learn to use teamwork and their own personal skill sets in order to make it out alive.

This movie single handedly brings the old \"who will survive\" slasher flick mystery back into vogue. I'm sure it was a release-straight-to-video production, but with a simple premise, they turned garbage into gold with this one.

Proof that a really awesome plot can completely counteract an obviously low budget...and even some questionable acting abilities.
Dude! Cube completely rules. It's got two sequels too, I have all three.

The sequels are Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Ø.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Well, the show "Lost" looked extremely base and stupid to me at first. Then, I was convinced to start renting episodes and I became hooked. Some parts of it are really cheesy and they played up the predator thing in the beginning WAY too much (no animal is THAT freaking psychotic - unless it's rabid). All in all, it's good stuff.

Tonight I watched Sweeney Todd. I was told that it was very graphic and disturbing. Whoever told me this apparently doesn't get dark humor? Or maybe I just thought it was hilarious because I'm a weirdo? Anyways, this movie rocked and had a fantastic ending.

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Tigger and Pooh. I must say that I now hate Tigger. The new and improved super sleuth thing is cute, but Tigger is just an asshole. His spot on the sleuth team should be replaced by Lumpy.

Violet

Yaa!
Founder
Feb 28, 2014
Tonight I watched Sweeney Todd. I was told that it was very graphic and disturbing. Whoever told me this apparently doesn't get dark humor? Or maybe I just thought it was hilarious because I'm a weirdo? Anyways, this movie rocked and had a fantastic ending.
I liked Sweeney Todd, too.

I wasn't shocked, because I tend to dig Burton's stuff; but it's a musical, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get into it.

Good stuff, though!

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Indeed.

I'm a LOST fanatic ... as in, I'm one of the freaks that tries to analyze the thing and make connections to stuff that happened in season one.
You and my husband both. *rolls eyes* I'll be sitting there, trying to watch the show, and he's blabbering on about what "this could mean". Gah!

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
You and my husband both. *rolls eyes* I'll be sitting there, trying to watch the show, and he's blabbering on about what "this could mean". Gah!
Then he must be as pissed as I am with the current season.

This triple time frame shit makes no sense and it's harder than ever to connect the dots.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street

Pursuit of Happiness.
Am I the only one who found this statement somewhat ironic?