My next vacation..

MoonChild69

douceur de vivre
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Ok, I want to go away somehere and I don't have a clue. I've been to many places and I want to keep my next adventure in the USA. I live in NYC, I've been thinking about Cape Cod, never been there. I would love to hear your suggestions.

InterStella

Shit Mum.... Yay!
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Rule Britannia!
How long can your holiday last, Mel? Because if you DO decide on Europe then I think you could stay 3-4 days at a time in some lovely cities.... Prague looks great, and Venice would be a fab place to visit, me thinks. And you should definitely find a few days to chill in Spain... it's nice there.

One place I'd love to see is - *drumroll* - London. Nope. Never been there! How sad is that. Love flying to other European countries, and have yet to visit the capital.

Anyway, let us know on your decision.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
How long can your holiday last, Mel? Because if you DO decide on Europe then I think you could stay 3-4 days at a time in some lovely cities.... Prague looks great, and Venice would be a fab place to visit, me thinks.
Oooh.. Venice........ Italians. SOLD!

And you should definitely find a few days to chill in Spain... it's nice there.
Damn straight.

One place I'd love to see is - *drumroll* - London. Nope. Never been there! How sad is that. Love flying to other European countries, and have yet to visit the capital.
Holy shit! I cannot believe you live in Manchester and have never been to London! It's only 3 hours drive. You could go for a weekend!
:10_003:

I want to go all over... Australia... Germany.... Italy... Greece...USA...... Bahamas.... Dominican Republic...... EVERYWHERE!

I love travelling.

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
Ok, I want to go away somehere and I don't have a clue. I've been to many places and I want to keep my next adventure in the USA. I live in NYC, I've been thinking about Cape Cod, never been there. I would love to hear your suggestions.
It depends on how soon you are going and if you can fly or not.

I liked Austin Tx. It has a good music/bar scene. A good variety and lots of things to do. Decent shopping and its a good sports venue (although San Antonio is better for sports.)

Colorado is also a good trip. I like it in the summers for white water rafting and the winter for skiing, tubing or snowmobiling. You can do something a generic as fly into Denver and go to a football game or go into Aspen and see the mountains, snow etc. People are very laid back there and don't really give a shit. There are caves, gold mines, etc to explore. The hot springs in Glen wood Springs are nice too.

And yes. . Missouri. . .home of the redneck back wood folks and Branson is not a bad place either. I spent several summers as a kid in the Ozarks, Silver Dollar City, White Water park, and Worlds of Fun. Lots of stuff to do there in a few hours drive from each other.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I liked Austin Tx. It has a good music/bar scene. A good variety and lots of things to do. Decent shopping and its a good sports venue (although San Antonio is better for sports.)
When were you in Austin?

I realize now how spoiled I was with the 24 hour cafes and SoCo... Anchorage practically shuts down at 6pm. Even wal mart closes at midnight!

That took some adjusting. On particularly rough/sleepless nights, we were used to being like "fuck it, let's go down to magnolia's and get some queso" ... now, we can't even cruise around wal mart for kicks. Suck.

I'm partial to it, but I'll second the Austin, TX suggestion. It's so much fun, Stella - and it doesn't matter what day of the week it is, downtown is poppin.

Good, live music also runs in abundance in Austin.

The local artists are ALWAYS out on the weekends with great stuff and a run down South Congress (leads straight to the capital) is a blast. It's lined with quirkly little shops and really good restaurants. There's also a magnolia cafe on SoCo. If you go to Austin, the trip isn't complete without eating at either Kerbey Lane (on kerbey or Lamar) or Magnolia Cafe (soco is my fave).

:yociexp77:

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Here's an article....

Austin named hardest-drinking city in U.S. by Forbes magazine

List uses CDC data on 'behavioral risk' factors

By Addie Broyles
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Feeling tipsy?
You're not alone, according to Forbes magazine, which this week said that Austin might be the hardest-drinking city in America.
Forbes, which releases lifestyle rankings several times a year, used data from a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey to assess Austin residents' affinity for alcohol. The CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey last year found that 61.5 percent of residents said they had had at least one drink in the past 30 days.
But it was the number of drinks per day that put Austin at the top of — or perhaps the bottom of — the bar. Nearly 9 percent of people surveyed said they drank daily. For men, two drinks a day was considered daily alcohol consumption in the survey. For women, it was one.
Milwaukee came in at No. 2 overall and was followed by San Francisco; Providence, R.I.; and Chicago.
Brandi Homann, a manager at Opal Divine's Freehouse on West Sixth Street, said the ranking isn't surprising. "If it's accurate, it's probably just because it's a college party town with UT and all. And then there's Sixth Street."
In the CDC survey, about 20 percent of adults in Austin admitted to binge drinking, or having at least five drinks in one sitting.
The University of Texas, like most major universities in the U.S., has been battling binge drinking problems for decades. Forbes named UT the No. 1 party school in 2006.
Though Austin is a college town, Forbes did not mention that in its recent ranking.
"It's important for people to understand that UT students make up 5 percent of Austin's population when they are all here," said Sandi Cleveland, a manager at the Health Promotion and Resource Center, which is part of University Health Services.
UT participates in a survey similar to the one conducted by the CDC in which students are asked about their drinking habits. In last year's survey, about 72 percent said they had consumed an alcoholic drink in the past 30 days, Cleveland said. Thirty-four percent said they had consumed more than five alcoholic drinks on one occasion.
"We work with freshmen at orientation to talk about how students can avoid dangers of alcohol abuse, how to recognize alcohol poisoning," she said.
Cleveland said 35 percent of first-year students don't drink any alcohol.

Source: http://www.austin360.com/news/content/food_drink/stories/2008/08/0809drink.html

funeeman

Spank Me!
Founder
Mar 3, 2008
North Main Street
When were you in Austin?

I realize now how spoiled I was with the 24 hour cafes and SoCo... Anchorage practically shuts down at 6pm. Even wal mart closes at midnight!

That took some adjusting. On particularly rough/sleepless nights, we were used to being like "fuck it, let's go down to magnolia's and get some queso" ... now, we can't even cruise around wal mart for kicks. Suck.

I'm partial to it, but I'll second the Austin, TX suggestion. It's so much fun, Stella - and it doesn't matter what day of the week it is, downtown is poppin.

Good, live music also runs in abundance in Austin.

The local artists are ALWAYS out on the weekends with great stuff and a run down South Congress (leads straight to the capital) is a blast. It's lined with quirkly little shops and really good restaurants. There's also a magnolia cafe on SoCo. If you go to Austin, the trip isn't complete without eating at either Kerbey Lane (on kerbey or Lamar) or Magnolia Cafe (soco is my fave).

:yociexp77:
Back in my radio/tv days I went to South by Southwest a couple of years. Had a blast. I also had a friend who was the ticket manager for the Spurs. . so I visited him a few times. That would have been like 95-98.