My (not so) New Computer

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Hi folks, I know it's been awhile since I've been on this site, and it may be another while... who knows. I've been reproductive and earning a living, so I keep fairly busy.

Anyway, I figured I'd brag about my new technological machine I built. It's a desktop that makes the little boxed items from Wal-Mart look like toddlers' toys.

For those of you that don't know anything about what's INSIDE of a computer, once you get lost, you can likely just skip to the pictures part.

I built this computer back in the February/March time frame, and LOVE it. It cost a pretty penny, and you will see why. All of the parts below are hot-linked so you can see what they're all about.

This beast includes the following:

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

Power Supply: Corsair HX 1000 Watt 2 Rail

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium

CPU: Intel i7 980X Extreme Edition 6 Core ($1000)

RAM: Corsair 12GB DDR3-1600

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Factory Overclocked Nvidia GTX 470

Sound Card: HT Omega CLARO

System Drive: Intel X25-M 120GB SATA II SSD

Data Drives: Two Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HDDs

Backup Drives: Two Seagate Constellation ES 2TB enterprise-grade HDDs encased in these cases

Optical Drive: Sony Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Burner

Card Reader: Koutech Multi-Card Reader (including a native MicroSD slot)

I also have a 24" 1080p widescreen LCD monitor

Pictures are in the below PB album. I already hot-linked enough shit, so clicky browse through 'em yourself.

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/mcsmc/New Computer/

I assembled the tower in a moderately paced 6 hours or so. It runs a LOT of things at once SUPER fast. For instance, I have a total of 5 browsers open with probably 50 tabs, MS Word, and a video streaming to the 47" LCD HDTV for the kids at the moment. Not to mention a half dozen Windows Explorer (the My Computer thingy) windows, a ton of downloads, and other stuff that sits in the taskbar tray.

I've Tefloned this thread so the drool from all the rest of you guys doesn't drown it.

SittinGrumpy

I love the case!

I just bought the 570 for the hubby 570 he fucking loves it, says he has never had graphics so smooth in a game.

System looks good, glad to know you are alive.

reproductive
Who the fuck let you reproduce? lol

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
I love the case!
Yeah, if my house ever burns down, it's about big enough to spend the night inside. :D

I just bought the 570 for the hubby 570 he fucking loves it, says he has never had graphics so smooth in a game.
Yeah, the 570 isn't a whole lot better than the 470, and I bought my video card before the 500s came out.

System looks good, glad to know you are alive.
Thanks to both!

Who the fuck let you reproduce? lol
MEN don't need permission.

mcsmc

Yaa!
Apr 4, 2008
Where's the liquid cooling ?>.<
Meh. The case has SIX high RPM fans, plus the triple fans on the GPU, and the CPU's fan. It sounds like a jet engine. No need to introduce the threat of liquid hitting my circuitry... all my temps stay well within normal parameters, even when I'm maxing out the CPU/GPU.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I just upgraded from X32 to X64 Win7. In doing so I get all my physical RAM.

Also, I installed it on a 60GB SSD. Starts up in about 15 secs from push of the button to initialization.

I recommend you people migrate to SSD but start at 120GB.