Not even a tree.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
I am grateful that I have made it through the year with my job intact. I work for a mid sized corporation that took a hit this year due to the economy but the company is still strong. I have worked for them for 5 years and make a good salary. Now here comes the disclaimer…. We got shafted over our Christmas party. I know I should not complain but I will just because I want to. (I know I will catch some grief on this but...)

In years past, we have always had a planned event. We have rented buildings, reception halls, and hotels. These parties included formal dress, catered food, and a live band with dancing. Each year we were given service awards and expensive prizes.

Today was a joke. We had our yearly Christmas party at the office. Each employee that wanted to participate had to bring a covered dish to do so. The meal consisted mostly of cookies and cakes because no one was willing to spring for luxury items such as a turkey or a ham. It started at noon with people coming in for a plate in sets of 2 or 3. They came in, grabbed a plate, and left quickly. There was no social trolling, no office gossip, nothing. No awards were given out. We did have a raffle gifting out items that were donated to our company by vendors. One of my techs even won a ladder! The “party” was over in less than an hour. I think most of us would have rather skipped the party all together than to have participated in such a travesty.

Maybe I would feel better if I had won a ladder.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
I feel for you.
I work in a small company, and this year our Christmas party will be a weekend in Paris. Fuck yeah!

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
We got shafted. Fuck everyone.
It's sad you didn't enjoy your work Xmas celebration. Inform your boss and he can lay you off during next year so you can have something to really complain about.
Are you really pissed off because you didn't get to have that drunken shag with that young guy from accounts or check out your boss's underdaks?

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Are you really pissed off because you didn't get to have that drunken shag with that young guy from accounts or check out your boss's underdaks?
Ding! I wanted to make some more memories to talk about through the year.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
yeah... this is why I hate holidays. People refuse to be thankful for what you put effort into - even if it's not what they're expecting of you.

How was my husband's christmas party at work? It was a lot of things... until the two gifts that I scraped together to be able to afford to give away were completely unappreciated. Then - I was infuriated. We could barely afford the outfit that I bought to attend, the ingredients for the completely fucking awesome homemade turkey lasagna I brought (still piping hot! stupendous timing if I do say so myself), the two gifts (one for a wife, one for one of the guys), and a babysitter.

Yet, my gift? It was a box of Pineapple scented candles. I was a little insulted at first, as the boss had asked that everyone bring a gift in the 35 dollar range -and I'm sorry, but these babies were 5 bucks. However... I thought, you know what, I had a hard time making this work, maybe she did too and could only get something like this. So, as I'm sure whoever bought it was noticing I'd gotten her gift, I made sure to smile, smell the candles, smile again (they stink), and show hubby what I'd gotten like a little trophy.

One of two things happened:

-she had zero cash and got what she could hoping it would go over well
-she didn't fucking care and said "whatever, I'll just get this garbage"

Oh well. My gift, originally 56.99, but marked down to 39.99 was a chefmate thinga majig that I made SURE to wrap it all betty homemaker style with cream and yellow tissue paper and tied with cream ribbon to make it obvious that my gift was for a woman who gets into that kind of thing - aka actually cooks.

Who grabbed it? The greediest, ugliest bitch in the room. She's an alcoholic, "snuck" booze in with her mug from home (as if we all didn't know), her hair wasn't even combed, her clothes had OBVIOUSLY NOT BEEN WASHED IN AWHILE... yet she was the one to RUN over and grab my present because it was wrapped the prettiest. She fought with the wrapping and was irritated about that somehow and when she realized what it was, she scoffed and tossed it to the middle of her table saying it was in her way. I was so hurt. If she had said, "Hmm, ya know, Barb... I don't cook very often, but I know you do... would you like to trade?" I'd have been happy that my money wasn't wasted. But she was so completely ungrateful that all she could do was piss on it. <-- expectation

For the guys, they work a lot of hours, some of them out in the cold for long periods of time - and since I was doing the shopping, I tried to get something useful for them. A showerhead that sprays your whole body and has several settings, including a mist setting. What does every working man come home looking forward to? A hot shower, right? ...well, and some good food... HENCE my "girl" gift.. bitch. Anyways. The group I ended up chatting with was asking what gifts we'd gotten, and I felt kind of dumb, but went ahead and told them - ALL the guys were like "you got whaaaat?? Which present is it? Honey, grab that one if you can"

Yay! ...only this party was "supposed" to only go til 11, but the boss threw a fit for some reason and decided it should go til 1am because we weren't having enough fun... um... dude, it's the company xmas party. Either you bring the fun, or people just politely mingle around, eat a little and go home... duh?

The group I was with all had kids... so they all ended up leaving early (they wouldn't do the gift exchange til the end), so they didn't get either of my gifts (though they enjoyed my lasagna :yociexp77:)

Who did the super spiffy expensive shower head go to? The OWNER of the company who doesn't do a lick of work and is almost never in town anyways... he spends almost all of his time in Arizona (year round) and makes little courtesy trips up to Anchorage once in awhile... he opened it, stared at it for a second, then passed it over hand to his wife who immediately tucked it away in some bag.

I was so pissed. ALL of the other guys that were there are hardworking. That is who my gift was intended for. Why couldn't he trade for something he wanted? There were several home depot gift cards - I'm sure there is *something* at HD that he'd like... I mean wtf?

People are so ungrateful, and it's BECAUSE of their expectations. All anyone ever wants is for their efforts to be appreciated in some way.

That's all to say, quit your bitching! At least they made an effort.

Everyone had to bring a dish to come to our xmas party as well. One of the women could barely afford to bring corn on the cob (what she was listed to bring), but she scraped together the change around her house to make sure she brought one ear per anticipated guest. How sweet! And, as she put it, "to make up for" her lack of bringing a main dish, she volunteered to sing three classic rock songs (though she was nervous) for entertainment. She was actually really good and brought the mood up in the whole room.

How can you be so selfish like that? Everyone is having a rough time right now. Offer understanding, not expectations, man... seriously.

I hate the holidays. I really hate the holidays. People suck.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
..People suck.
I'm sorry it was so shitty for you dear..:yociexpress09:
You put waaaaay too much thought, hard work, and emotion into company gift giving. I mean...Jesus, I had no idea you were so altruistic.

This is what I do at these functions:
1) Get a shit worthless gift that people might not complain about...like a box of chocolates. Girls love that shit, even if they wanted something different.
2) I never get a gift card. Sure it's easy, but it also directly shows how much money---and thus---how much thought and caring, you put into getting the gift. You can't get away with fucking someone over with a $5 gift card like you can with a $5 set of candles.
3) Witty small talk is for faggots. I literally have nothing to say to these people after two minutes of chit-chat. I seriously don't know what the fuck people talk about for hours. Moreover, being the life of the Christmas party, one day out of the year, won't get you the promotion. Your boss will still be an incompetent douche tomorrow.
4) I show up for the food, the booze, and the off chance that a boss will be drunk off his ass. This has happened, and it is always worth the price of admission.
5) Most importantly, I never---and I mean never, give a flying fuck about these things. I contribute nothing.

Yea, I'm that guy. If you were that guy, you wouldn't be so disappointed with the outcome.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
No company party:yociexpress09:
Reading my previous post you will understand my complete astonishment and confusion about why you would be broken up about not having a company party. I never understood the fascination with hanging out with people "outside" the office.

Instead of being all broken up over the loss of a contrived and stupid formal party, just have a small get together with your "closer" co-workers (possibly friends). You can have your silly awards and dancing, just on a smaller scale among you actually give two shits about.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I'm sorry it was so shitty for you dear..:yociexpress09:
You put waaaaay too much thought, hard work, and emotion into company gift giving. I mean...Jesus, I had no idea you were so altruistic.

This is what I do at these functions:
1) Get a shit worthless gift that people might not complain about...like a box of chocolates. Girls love that shit, even if they wanted something different.
2) I never get a gift card. Sure it's easy, but it also directly shows how much money---and thus---how much thought and caring, you put into getting the gift. You can't get away with fucking someone over with a $5 gift card like you can with a $5 set of candles.
3) Witty small talk is for faggots. I literally have nothing to say to these people after two minutes of chit-chat. I seriously don't know what the fuck people talk about for hours. Moreover, being the life of the Christmas party, one day out of the year, won't get you the promotion. Your boss will still be an incompetent douche tomorrow.
4) I show up for the food, the booze, and the off chance that a boss will be drunk off his ass. This has happened, and it is always worth the price of admission.
5) Most importantly, I never---and I mean never, give a flying fuck about these things. I contribute nothing.

Yea, I'm that guy. If you were that guy, you wouldn't be so disappointed with the outcome.
People judge a man by his wife... and being that he's still new to the company and we're all struggling to get by, I had to make a good impression.

I needed to be hot enough in a conservative sort of way that the boss'll wanna see me again next year, ya hurr?

I needed to create a wall of perfection that makes my husband appear to be untouchable. If they could look at me by his side, and say "What trash", it's easier to fire someone based solely on shortage of funds.

Stupid, superficial, pathetic? Yeah... but that's people for ya. The wives and girlfriends who came and were loudmouthed, overbearing and crap like that got bad looks from the boss to the man. See what I'm sayin?

He had nothing but compliments for me, and probably because I was cute, politely quiet, and softspoken. <-- hahahaha, this should make all of you guffaw...

hehe, just wait til they get to know me *evil cackle* :laluot_26:

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
People judge a man by his wife... and being that he's still new to the company and we're all struggling to get by, I had to make a good impression.

I needed to be hot enough in a conservative sort of way that the boss'll wanna see me again next year, ya hurr?

I needed to create a wall of perfection that makes my husband appear to be untouchable. If they could look at me by his side, and say "What trash", it's easier to fire someone based solely on shortage of funds.

Stupid, superficial, pathetic? Yeah... but that's people for ya. The wives and girlfriends who came and were loudmouthed, overbearing and crap like that got bad looks from the boss to the man. See what I'm sayin?

He had nothing but compliments for me, and probably because I was cute, politely quiet, and softspoken. <-- hahahaha, this should make all of you guffaw...

hehe, just wait til they get to know me *evil cackle* :laluot_26:
I did indeed guffaw and I do see what you're saying. However...
It was my understanding while reading your story, that the gift receivers didn't know who the gift givers were. Also, it seems like most of what you ranted about was your disappointment in how the gift giving aspect went down.

I do agree that you should conduct yourself like an intelligent, attractive, professional young female. BUT, you can do that AND not give two shits about impressing everyone at the same time. I know, I've done it...sans the female bit.

SO, next time, just shit in a box and wrap it up. Then, wow everyone at the party so no one suspects that it was you.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I did indeed guffaw and I do see what you're saying. However...
It was my understanding while reading your story, that the gift receivers didn't know who the gift givers were. Also, it seems like most of what you ranted about was your disappointment in how the gift giving aspect went down.
It was more just disgust in the "christmas spirit" - which was (in my opinion) illustrated quite well in the attitudes at the party. I posted the second bit to respond to your questioning why I cared.

negative said:
I do agree that you should conduct yourself like an intelligent, attractive, professional young female. BUT, you can do that AND not give two shits about impressing everyone at the same time. I know, I've done it...sans the female bit.
Psh. the "sans female" bit is the most important. Even if I have a bland motive behind getting gussied up and wrapping stuff all purty, I'ma wanna know if all that effort garnered some good ol' fashioned HOT attention!

negative said:
SO, next time, just shit in a box and wrap it up. Then, wow everyone at the party so no one suspects that it was you.
YES! And we all know my poo poos smell like roses anyhow :khi6d:

SlimSkeeter

Fuckit! Christmas party at my place then... Josie you bring your hott ass and your hubby and I will welcome both of you with a hug and a handshake (in that order, you get the hug). nwbeg4me, we will get a big fucking tree thats decorated like no other in the world. Everyone is invited, the whole SC crowd. We will celebrate Christmas like it was a holiday worth bothering over. Music, friends, and laughs. I'm tired of mourning the passing of a great holiday. Bring gifts if you like, if not thats kewl. I'm buying bottles of booze, wine, and champagne. The food rule in my house is as follows: If you see it and you want it, eat it. If you want it and don't see it, ask. If I cant find it I probably know where we can get it.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Lol

Man, i remember last year at my fellas office Christmas party, i got a bucket with a hole in it, i kid you not.

It was one of those cheap dollar store buckets with a snowman cut out of it, i guess i was supposed to put a candle in there and it was supposed to look pretty. Well the bucket was dented and there was no candle to be found, but did i complain? Yes..when i got in the car i must have laughed the entire way home. ok no i didn't say anything at the time, the other people at my table did go on for quite a while trying to guess what the fuck it even was. I was sweet though, i made a big deal about how cool it was, but i was really crying on the inside.

I brought a his and her bath set, the girly one was fancy smancy Dove shit and the dudes was a Mach 3 razor gift set with shaving cream and tons of refills. I learned my lession though, the rest of the office can go fuck themselves if they think i'm going to attend another one, me and my fella have more fun throwing our own partys anyway.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
Fuckit! Christmas party at my place then... Josie you bring your hott ass and your hubby and I will welcome both of you with a hug and a handshake (in that order, you get the hug). nwbeg4me, we will get a big fucking tree thats decorated like no other in the world. Everyone is invited, the whole SC crowd. We will celebrate Christmas like it was a holiday worth bothering over. Music, friends, and laughs. I'm tired of mourning the passing of a great holiday. Bring gifts if you like, if not thats kewl. I'm buying bottles of booze, wine, and champagne. The food rule in my house is as follows: If you see it and you want it, eat it. If you want it and don't see it, ask. If I cant find it I probably know where we can get it.
Yes! :laluot_18: