Numero Uno

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
So..... I've decided to finally go about getting a new tattoo. I've officially decided on where and (some of) what.

I'm getting a piece of my own writing done on me, so that even if I do end up hating it ten years from now, it'll still be mine. My only problem is deciding what piece of writing to get done. So I'm asking for some (hopefully constructive) opinions. So here's the choices I've picked out of the writing I've done in the past six or so years.

1) It's so rare the quiet in my head
Embrace this silence though it's so similar
To the silence that keeps me prisoner

2) Wading in these pools of glass
Slivers of soft light
I shudder in their cold heat

3) Tell me those promises, even though they don't mean anything

4) But there is nowhere to go but forward into the unknown loneliness.

5) The sky fell, burning into towers and crumbling its way into eternity.

6) Anything from here on out means nothing
So maybe you should just stop reading here.

That's all I have for now... But uhm.. feedback would probably be helpful in narrowing it down... I may add some other ones once I've sifted through the shitpile that is my writing.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Whoa ..

I'm not a fan of words as tats (even though my left forearm has three words on it), I think they can rarely be done in such a manner as to be intelligible to an observer.

So to help you decide maybe you should decide FIRST how it will be written:

Single line? Arch? Calligraphy ? In English? Contained in a picture or symbol? etc etc ..

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
I wouldnt pick a piece that were too long. If people have to take quite some time to read on you, it quickly grows old and bothersome. I would choose something short and sweet.

You know?

Wenis

Hello Ladies.
Feb 18, 2009
So..... I've decided to finally go about getting a new tattoo. I've officially decided on where and (some of) what.

I'm getting a piece of my own writing done on me, so that even if I do end up hating it ten years from now, it'll still be mine. My only problem is deciding what piece of writing to get done. So I'm asking for some (hopefully constructive) opinions. So here's the choices I've picked out of the writing I've done in the past six or so years.

1) It's so rare the quiet in my head
Embrace this silence though it's so similar
To the silence that keeps me prisoner

2) Wading in these pools of glass
Slivers of soft light
I shudder in their cold heat
Right, these seem very poetical, and probably hold a very deep meaning to yourself, but as an observer I couldn't really figure out exactly what message they are conveying quickly. I'm not saying that I am a good standard to go by, just that anyone stupider than me wont understand them either.
3) Tell me those promises, even though they don't mean anything
I like this one, but can be seen as kind of depressing don't you think?
4) But there is nowhere to go but forward into the unknown loneliness.
This is demotivating to me.
Again, like it, can't figure out its meaning.
6) Anything from here on out means nothing
So maybe you should just stop reading here.
You have depressing themes, although I like reading them I reckon you might end up regretting your decision.

Hope that's helped, I've given you constructive criticism! Well...less construction and more criticism. Soz!!

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
What happens to the tats when you reach a period in your life, the future, that your no longer so melodramatic or depressed? In other words, you've grown up?

There are people out there who do regret the tats they now sport around in.

SlimSkeeter

But there is nowhere to go but forward into the unknown loneliness.
I like this one. I don't really see it as demotivating, like Wenis does, though. You take your own path, nobody can walk it for you or, really, with you. All your choices are your own and the consequences are yours(kinda lonely). Following that path (going forward) will lead somewhere, but nobody is ever where they thought they would end up (unknown).

So, for me, its motivational. You can't go back, so man up and go forward, no matter where it leads you.

SittinGrumpy

I love and have several tattoos. That being said I do not like poem tattoos because they must be explained unless they are so profound you just get it.

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
Whoa ..

I'm not a fan of words as tats (even though my left forearm has three words on it), I think they can rarely be done in such a manner as to be intelligible to an observer.

So to help you decide maybe you should decide FIRST how it will be written:

Single line? Arch? Calligraphy ? In English? Contained in a picture or symbol? etc etc ..
I'm thinking something between two or three lines arched right below the swell of my breast.

Right, these seem very poetical, and probably hold a very deep meaning to yourself, but as an observer I couldn't really figure out exactly what message they are conveying quickly. I'm not saying that I am a good standard to go by, just that anyone stupider than me wont understand them either.............
You have depressing themes, although I like reading them I reckon you might end up regretting your decision.
Since the tat is going to be in an intimate place, whether or not observer understand it doesn't much matter, since not many people will get to observe it anyway. It's a purely personal tattoo.

What happens to the tats when you reach a period in your life, the future, that your no longer so melodramatic or depressed? In other words, you've grown up?

There are people out there who do regret the tats they now sport around in.
I'm sure there are, and the exact reason why I've chosen to get my own writing instead of someone else's is because if I do end up hating it in the future, it's still mine. Furthermore, it will still represent someone that I once was, regardless of who I become in the future.

I love and have several tattoos. That being said I do not like poem tattoos because they must be explained unless they are so profound you just get it.
Again, it's a personal thing rather than something for other people. So an observer understanding isn't really that important.

I super appreciate all the feedback thus far though.

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
No offence, but I think they are all depressing, and no way would I want something like that on my body even if I was depressed.

That said, if I had to choose it would be:

Probably because I just watched "2012"... but you know...

I agree with the general consensus that most of your choices are too long. BUT I think you can be deep without being depressive. I would like to see some more of your stuff.

My friend has the whole phrase "live as if you would die tomorrow, dream as if you would live forever"... on her rib cage. It's kinda cool.. but overplayed.

Plus impossible to conceal in swim wear, or open sided tops...

sigh*

If you can't tell already, I don't have a tattoo.

Syenite

Flying squirrel vagina
Founder
Oct 23, 2013
Redneckville, Canada.
I would like to see some more of your stuff..............
Plus impossible to conceal in swim wear, or open sided tops...
I'll try to post a few more options soon, uhm.......... less melodramatic I suppose. As far as swim wear and whatnot goes, I drew with marker on myself just to see what it would look like having a tattoo where I want it. And it'll definitely be completely concealable. However, that'll also make it nearly impossible for me to show off to people. But I s'pose like I already said, it's purpose really isn't for the enjoyment of others.