Personal Definitions

SlimSkeeter

Love, hate, beautiful, ugly...these, along with a few others, are what I would consider to be slippery words. Two people's definitions do not always mesh with each other. Hell, when taken together, sometimes our personal definitions don't always follow a logical course of thought, either.

For instance, love: I define that as "That emotion where another persons happiness becomes essential to your own" when talking about people. For more abstract things, its knowing it well enough that it becomes an extension of you and therefor helps to define who you are. If you love something it becomes something that people tend to think of when they think of you.

Hate: Not the 'opposite' of love, but rather the other side of the coin. To hate something, you must know it. To truly hate it with all your might, you must know it so well that it almost becomes a part of you and so, from a certain point of view, you must also love it.

Ugly and beautiful are even more slippery for me. I'll try later to put down a clear definitions for them.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Indeed.

I often get in a 'mood' and have to explain to the poontang that the mean things I say are "just words".

Her response: WORDS is how we communicate.

My retort : Words are a lifeless construct unless filled with the inflection, emotion, warmth and so on .. of the person presenting the words.

Hence to me words truly are meaningless when it comes to social interaction and I place nearly all the onus on action/emoting.

Seems to me that a group of people that know you would understand if you called one of them an ugly fucker and assign that word, UGLY, less weight than a total stranger would do in the same situation.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I can only really comment on how I operationally define "love."

I've only felt love, or how I define love, for one person. To me, love is caring more for someone else than yourself. It's pretty weak, but that's how I define it, and that's how I feel it.

misha

Still a bit noob
Oct 5, 2009
Indeed.

My retort : Words are a lifeless construct unless filled with the inflection, emotion, warmth and so on .. of the person presenting the words.

Hence to me words truly are meaningless when it comes to social interaction and I place nearly all the onus on action/emoting.
Imo you pretty much nailed that. Words that express emotions have different meanings to different people and are therefore defacto meaningless. Words get politicians elected. Words used by insane religious fanatics can get followers to strap on explosives. Words can get murderers acquitted. Words can get a 36yo slob in bed with a 22yo 9. Good, bad, or indifferent, words are just tools. As Skeeter suggests: slippery. Indeed.

I believe love is not a word; it's a disease.

"You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it." ~ Henny Youngman

SlimSkeeter

Indeed.

I often get in a 'mood' and have to explain to the poontang that the mean things I say are "just words".

Her response: WORDS is how we communicate.

Seems to me that a group of people that know you would understand if you called one of them an ugly fucker and assign that word, UGLY, less weight than a total stranger would do in the same situation.
A story of my own to illustrate your point: I went over to my nieces apartment. She was there with her then-fiance, a cousin of ours, the cousins boyfriend, and their 2 friends. Also present was my great nephew. I walked in, scooped the little one up for a hug, and as I looked at his mother I see a bottle of Boones Farm (Orange Hurricane). My immediate reaction was to say, "Boones Farm? When the fuck did YOU start living in a trailer park?"

Harsh words! However, the ones who knew me laughed it off because it was obvious to them that it was a joke. The "new guys" there, took a second before they realized it was ok to laugh.

Llamageddon

Silly Katface
Oct 17, 2009
North-West London
I find it hard to decribe what I feel these things mean. I know how they make me feel, but if I was to describe what I think love is, I would have trouble pinning down exactly what I think they mean.

Words are indeed slippery - I think that's why so many people notice body language and the way someone says something. We now concentrate not just on what is being said, but how it's being said.

NiBBler

boop!
Dec 10, 2008
NC
Love -as in "in love"

Love is losing yourself. It takes away your power to control your life. It leaves you used and broken. Love is a waste.

Love -as in "I love"

Love is protection and shelter. Your need to take care of someone you love outweighs your wants or needs. Love is consuming.

Hate - as in "I hate"

Rage held in tight. Disgust tormenting you constantly. Desiring to inflict pain on someone or to destroy something.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Love -as in "in love"

Love is losing yourself. It takes away your power to control your life. It leaves you used and broken. Love is a waste.

Love -as in "I love"

Love is protection and shelter. Your need to take care of someone you love outweighs your wants or needs. Love is consuming.

Your post is like 99% poetry and 1% actual life experience. Sorry but that's the Emo-est, piece of shit I've had the displeasure of laying eyes on in some time. I thought this fucking stupid Emo shit went out of style like several years ago.

Emo drivel poop.