Petition to ban "crush" videos

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
Apparently some sickos think its cool to crush kittens, puppies and other small animals to death with their feet on video and post it on the web. In 1999, the US government banned the depiction of animal cruelty, however the law was overturned by the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals which ruled that these films were protected as free speech.

Please follow the link and help out with this cause by signing the petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/bancrush/petition.html

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
You've signed, now let your friends know on Twitter.

12540 Signatures Total

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
While I am in full favor or stopping needless cruelty to animals I am concerned by the lack of info in this petition.

WHO is collecting the sigs and emails ?

WHO will this petition be presented to ?

DO they have legal representation or monetary means to obtain it ?

The reason I ask is because just not any slob with an arm load of signatures ( in this case a CD ) can walk into a circuit court and request a docket # to have a case heard.

They do not even state whether or not of even IF they will take it to their state Congress member.

If I missed the answers to my above questions please point me in the right direction.

I'm not saying the above in an effort to deface your thread its just that people do some weird shit in order to get their name and myspace / facebook account in the public eye.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Kiss my butt.

I won't sign anything that will remove one of my rights. Not for nothing, but last I checked, animal cruelty is already prohibited by law. At best, this petition doesn't even ban animal cruelty anyways, it only wants to ban the act of depicting it.

Sorry, but I like that this is still a country where I'm capable of deciding for myself what is offensive. For me to sign off on yet even more censorship from our government, you can bet your ass that's it's going to be for better reason than because people (Who are breaking the fucking law already anyways) are posting tasteless offensive material.

Now if you want me to sign a petition saying it should be legal to use these videos to convict the jerkoffs responsible for it, I'm your huckleberry. But making the depicting of it illegal again?....heh...no more censorship for me, thanks.

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
While I am in full favor or stopping needless cruelty to animals I am concerned by the lack of info in this petition.

WHO is collecting the sigs and emails ?

WHO will this petition be presented to ?

DO they have legal representation or monetary means to obtain it ?

The reason I ask is because just not any slob with an arm load of signatures ( in this case a CD ) can walk into a circuit court and request a docket # to have a case heard.

They do not even state whether or not of even IF they will take it to their state Congress member.

If I missed the answers to my above questions please point me in the right direction.

I'm not saying the above in an effort to deface your thread its just that people do some weird shit in order to get their name and myspace / facebook account in the public eye.
All answers I'd like to have myself. All I know is that I'd like do whatever I can to stop it and the only (possible) option presented to me is to take 2 minutes (maybe less) out of my day to sign a petition. So, I'll gladly do it. All I can do is HOPE that its legit.

Polar Bear

ppbbtt! -excuse me.
Founder
Mar 5, 2008
Fixed it for ya.

Why am I not surprised?
That's your argument? If I'm not against it's depiction, I'm in favor of it?

Does that mean that Quentin Tarrintino approves of wholesale murder and is in favor of vampires?

You're stupid.

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
That's your argument? If I'm not against it's depiction, I'm in favor of it?

Does that mean that Quentin Tarrintino approves of wholesale murder and is in favor of vampires?

You're stupid.
You're comparing fabricated movie scenes to REAL LIFE acts of animal torture... and I'm stupid.

Don't you get it? These people are only doing this because they can post the videos on the internet and get a sick laugh out of it. If it were illegal for these videos to be posted, they would have no reason for doing it.

Now I know that despite the law, sometimes these vids would still be posted on sites which are hosted on severs located in countries who don't have the same laws... but if it were illegal in the U.S., there would be LESS of it happening.

Time for you to start being honest about it. You're hiding behind "rights" as your reason not to fight this shit. The REAL reason is because you enjoy such videos and are probably googling them at this very moment so you can jack your cock to them later on.

Oh and one more thing. I've posted this very same thread on a shitload of message boards and so far YOU are the ONLY poster who has claimed that it should be within your rights to post this garbage.

I hope you enjoy living in Idiotville - Population: 1.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I do not agree with the videos - and would likely sign the petition if it felt legit.

That said, PB does bring up a good point. MANY rights are taken away in the name of morality, and those shock waves are felt far beyond the bounds of the original offense.

It's a sticky situation. It really does suck that these people get a kick out of this.

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
I do not agree with the videos - and would likely sign the petition if it felt legit.

That said, PB does bring up a good point. MANY rights are taken away in the name of morality, and those shock waves are felt far beyond the bounds of the original offense.

It's a sticky situation. It really does suck that these people get a kick out of this.
I really don't see how outlawing the posting of animal torture vids can create shock waves that are felt beyond the bounds of the original offense. Its clear cut. No vids of animal torture... and thats where it ends.

Maybe you ought to go take a good look at one of these videos. Watch a kitten slowly being crushed to death by someones foot. Watch it scratch, scream, bite and fight for its life. Witness the terror and agony in its eyes while its life leaves its body. Watch its innards come out of its mouth and ass. THEN come back and stand up for someone's right to post these videos.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
I really don't see how outlawing the posting of animal torture vids can create shock waves that are felt beyond the bounds of the original offense. Its clear cut. No vids of animal torture... and thats where it ends.

Maybe you ought to go take a good look at one of these videos. Watch a kitten slowly being crushed to death by someones foot. Watch it scratch, scream, bite and fight for its life. Witness the terror and agony in its eyes while its life leaves its body. Watch its innards come out of its mouth and ass. THEN come back and stand up for someone's right to post these videos.
You're so blinded by your disgust that you can't even read.

Josie said:

Of course you can't see how banning the videos might have a ripple effect. It hasn't happened. There is no possible way to know for sure if passing the law you want passed will ONLY affect what you would like it to - that, is until it's passed and in full effect.

I am also not fighting for anyone's right to post heinous crap online. I, Josie, am sitting on the sidelines, taking no action other than commenting in this thread.

First, a petition should seem legit for me to want to sign it. Not signing a phony petition does not make me in favor of cruel bs.

Second, agreeing that PB has a point to consider and not blindly throwing my fist up and screaming YEAH! with your original post is not to say that I like the idea of squishing kittens or support it.

And, no. I will not go watch any of those videos. That would only add to the intent of the people posting them.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
The very act of starting a petition, legit or otherwise, publicises what is happening.
I was unaware there were videos circulating like this, now I know.
Snuff movies and underage are illegal to even watch in my country, perhaps animal cruelty should be too.
Regardless, I signed the petition, without joining Facebook, Twitter, Twatter or anything else. I used a "throw-away" email addy. It has cost me a few seconds of my time.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
The very act of starting a petition, legit or otherwise, publicises what is happening.
Snuff movies and underage are illegal to even watch in my country, perhaps animal cruelty should be too.
Regardless, I signed the petition, without joining Facebook, Twitter, Twatter or anything else. I used a "throw-away" email addy. It has cost me a few seconds of my time.

Yeah I signed it as well.

Still the valid comments I added as well as the concerns and rebuttals of others here is exactly the kind of posting I enjoy, its engaging, it makes people think.

I respect a person that can present then defend their position in a coherent, logical fashion.

I abhor a person that gets all namby pamby or emotional or starts slinging the party line responses without being able to articulate their own position.

Good thread ... A-1 !

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!

I think there was something that came out of Japan with some stupid bitch with heels stepping and crunching on a kitten, though it seemed that it was already dead.

I think the idea of this is to bring it to peoples attention.
By banning it on the net, may give one less reason for these fucks to engage in this sickness.

Scarlet

Founder
Mar 3, 2008
I think there was something that came out of Japan with some stupid bitch with heels stepping and crunching on a kitten, though it seemed that it was already dead.
I remember looking at that set of pictures about 2 years ago.
The kitten was alive when she started and she stamped her stiletto heel through it's eye.
I believe she was charged for that and it did receive wide publicity at the time.
I haven't looked at anything like that since, it was disgusting and a heartache to see.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I remember looking at that set of pictures about 2 years ago.
The kitten was alive when she started and she stamped her stiletto heel through it's eye.
I believe she was charged for that and it did receive wide publicity at the time.
I haven't looked at anything like that since, it was disgusting and a heartache to see.

Maybe it was a link someone provided on FY.com?