Physical Pain

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I was watching a show on Discovery Channel of these two Dr. Blokes traveling through Asia and getting ideas how different cultures (Tibet and India) deal with Pain...............These two guys were surgeons, and being on the other side of the table, wanted to know more about Pain.

I knew when I saw this show, my turn would be coming up and soon enough, I had my pinkey slammed in the door (the part of the door with the hinges meet the frame, not the door knob area) and goddamn that hurt like hell.

When the pain sets in, you have either of two ways to deal with it (assuming there is no quick cure for it). Two relatively extreme directions to go:

--Get into it. Feel it to its max. Be one with it. Ride the pain out. Be part of it. Acknowledge it longer than you usually would.........like they did in India in the documentary

or

--Don't think of it. Do something else other than acknowledge the pain.
Count or do some other mind trick. Avoid it. Mind over matter.... like they did in Tibet

Keep in mind that these areas of the world rely on the Old Ways like TCM or Ayurvedic remedies.....using western medicine for extreme reasons only.

So, what do YOU do at the moment of pain.
I know it would depend on the type of pain, but lets assume it's not life threatening...........maybe something similar to mine....

Someone please kiss my boo boo?

SlimSkeeter

I embrace it. Initially I have the urge to try to block it out, but I've found that if I let it flow, so to speak, it feels like its over quicker. Most times I can ignore a minor discomfort if needed, though. At work, I've burned myself (for instance) several times and it simply does no good at all for me to try to grit my teeth and fight it. Once I accept it and let it run its course, I find that I can continue with my work with little distraction.

Contrarily, when I stub my pinky toe, I want to holler at the top of my lungs.

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
I do not acknowledge pain. ( This works ... 75% of the time for me)

I come from a childhood background where pain was used as punishment and amusement, I learned early that sometimes the only tool I had to 'fight' with was not to acknowledge the injury by the abuser.

Ironically I went into a profession where pain was used as a teaching tool as well as a way to admonish a person for falling behind, i.e. "Hey you pussy, does it hurt ? Want your mommy? " and so on... This, especially in males, was surprisingly effective to motivate a new troop into an action, later as they became more confident this technique works less often.

Then again .. some people are naturally able to withstand a higher level of pain than others, in my former profession I was surrounded by those types, this is most likely why I think the average civilian is a useless lump of shit and a whining little bitch.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I deal with any level of pain, no matter how minute or severe, by crying---nonstop, loudly, for hours.

Lots and lots of balling works great!

jeepneasy

Dude!
Jul 14, 2009
Central, CA
Just grit the teeth and blow through it. With trying to purposely sound to cliche, it really boils down to mind over matter. That said I am human like the rest and have a breaking point. But in both my former and current profession the pussies fall by the wayside rather quick.

But then again .... crying hysterically and curling up into the fetal position does help

Cúchulainn

Asshole 7
Apr 11, 2008
Then again .. some people are naturally able to withstand a higher level of pain than others, in my former profession I was surrounded by those types, this is most likely why I think the average civilian is a useless lump of shit and a whining little bitch.
Agreed.

Violet

Yaa!
Founder
Feb 28, 2014
Lots and lots of balling works great!
Indeed. Far better than bawling ever did. (tee hee)

I'd have to go with embracing it; at least, temporarily. I tend to give myself a moment to measure it. Rate it and put it on a scale, if you will. Odds are, after childbirth, seven broken bones and a tube in the lung, it won't measure too terribly high. And if there's no way to score some drugs to ease it, I can usually assure myself that I've been through worse and move on. (...After perhaps pouting for a moment or cursing myself for whatever foolish thing I've done this time.)

Incognito

Family
Mar 11, 2008
Florida
OR...

You could handle it like Titty does and cry like a little bitch.

Btw, your "pinky in the door" incident made me cringe. Why the hell did you have your finger in there anyway?

Mamba

Uranium
Founder
May 22, 2008
Depends what kind of pain.

Stubbing your toe is shouting kind of pain. Unless, you don't want to draw attention to yourself, then it's a hold-it-in sharp intake of breath kind of pain.

I have the hold-it-in sharp intake of breath kind of pain when I bang my "funny bone" or something similar also.

However, slamming your finger in a door is most definitely a screaming/crying kind of pain.

I prefer to scream as it lets it out; purging. I'm weird, I suppose.

I think, judging from the first post.. that I "get into" my pain more than ignore it.
But I will ignore it if I think the situation calls for it. i.e there are more important things to be doing than sitting around blubbing!

SittinGrumpy

My reaction depends greatly on the pain itself.

If i stump my toe I cuss and move on but when my monthly comes I am a HUGE cry baby, walk around all pouty and shit.

Then you have chronic pain, that I just roll with, not much of a choice but to just take it and go.

Kill_em_All

Family
Founder
Jul 29, 2008
I have always been a little bit weird in that I, in some instances, enjoy physical pain. I almost feed off of it.

When I was a child, I was actually a "cutter". I didn't inflict pain on myself because it was trendy or emo or whatever, but because most of my youth was spent dealing with so much mental pain that I thought there had to be something that hurt worse.

This carried over into adulthood in the form of fighting virtually any chance I could get.

Now that I'm in my thirties, the desire has subsided to almost non-existence and consists of little more than tonguing annoyances on my gumlines or biting at the skin on my fingertips.

But in all honesty, the worst pain I've ever experienced was an abscessed molar. I've been stabbed, shot, beaten to a bloody pulp, broken multiple bones and laughed at the pain, but that molar hurt worse than anything I could even begin to describe. I honestly would have much rather had my arm chopped off than dealt with that shit.

Klautermauffen

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-founderrr
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle
small pains annoy the hell out of me and I usually end up nursing those. bandaids, not using the finger at all, etc.

quick, big pains - I don't notice for a whole 1 to 2 seconds. My brain is nice to me and shuts them off for a bit. Like, if my hand gets slammed something fierce in a car door, I don't notice right away - usually I do when I go to move and my hand is stuck. Even after noticing, the pain is mild and feels more cold than anything else. It's awhile after that I really feel it. When everything's all calmed down, the tender spots don't like to be squished or moved AT ALL. =/ The times I've broken my tail bone and ribs, I've felt I needed to walk and walk and walk. I felt out of breath, the area around whatever broke throbs with pressure - but no pain until the initial shock has worn off. Then it's just reallllly tender.

Big, long lasting pains - distraction. So I suppose I ignore it. I'm usually a pretty big wimp to most, but going through labor, I walked, chatted, goofed off around the hospital until I was 7 centimeters dilated (this is called transition. worst of the pain hits) From there, I labored in a bath - and tried to let my pain turn to colors, thoughts, words - take on a different form that I could focus on. At 10 centimeters, I lost control. I let go of my focus and screamed with the contractions. I think this was because the nurses had to move me from where I had centered myself. I actually don't remember that pain so well. I can remember pretty well everything up to being moved to the bed. And I really believe it's because I lost control of myself. If I had stayed focused, I would have not JUST felt the pain, but all of the changes happening and would have been ready.

So... that's "getting into it", right? Combo. Distraction and "getting into it"

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I'd have to go with embracing it; at least, temporarily. I tend to give myself a moment to measure it. Rate it and put it on a scale, if you will.
I see what you mean. Maybe the word is 'ascertain', which is pretty much what all of us do, or most of us anyways.

I wonder what can one do when being tortured.............?

He doesn't have his finger up a little boy's bum constantly like you do.
....just saying
Fuck off, Skank. I hope the next bitch that plugs your ass with her fist, scraps your inner intestinal wall lining with her filthy dirty fingernails and give your a painful bacterial infection........ass-whole.

My reaction depends greatly on the paid itself.
I agree, nothing is more physically painful than an empty wallet from paying exorbitant prices.......

Big, long lasting pains - distraction.
Seems like the long ones do need some distraction.
Kill mentioned tooth pain. Those are killers and the throbbing ones are worse, because when you think they are done, they hit you again.

Last long pain I had was food poisoning. First time ever.
The pain lasted from 11 p.m. until 8 a.m. and I thought I was dying.
It was a constant relentless pain and I could not sit, lie down nor stand to help ease the suffering.

The only thing was distraction like pacing up and down and moaning.