Playstation 3 vs Xbox 360

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Yeah, I've found out that it's high time to get me a gaming console, but now I face the question:

Which one?!

A Sony Playstation 3 (80 gig) 580,- USD
or
a Xbox 360 Pro (60 gig) 340,- USD

I've read a bunch of articles on the subject, but have yet to come to a conclusion as to which one is the best. Everyone seem to end up with the BluRay angle, which I frankly couldn't give a flying fuck about.

My question is simple, yet hard to find an answer to, so I hope any of you have any knowledge about any of these two consoles.

I want to know which is the best, and why.

SlimSkeeter

Playstation is better hardware wise, Xbox has more games. I guess it depends on what you want...pretty or playable. Myself, I jumped out of that loop and bought a Wii. I get the hell up off the couch to play and am fairly happy with the games being well put together so far.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Playstation is better hardware wise, Xbox has more games. I guess it depends on what you want...pretty or playable. Myself, I jumped out of that loop and bought a Wii. I get the hell up off the couch to play and am fairly happy with the games being well put together so far.
I want a steady and reliable console which can play the majority of the games out there.
And I don't consider the Wii as an option.

KommieKat

Mao's Pet Cat
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Hong Kong, hiding from the Kommies!
I have ps3 and quite satisfied with it.
For me, having Blueray and HDMI was important for connecting to my amp and HDTV.
Games are more expensive and scarce.

I've read the ps3 is not selling good and losing money for Sony.
At the same time, Micro will remain stubborn and not install Blueray into their systems.
Games are plentiful an cheaper.

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
I have ps3 and quite satisfied with it.
For me, having Blueray and HDMI was important for connecting to my amp and HDTV.
Games are more expensive and scarce.

I've read the ps3 is not selling good and losing money for Sony.
At the same time, Micro will remain stubborn and not install Blueray into their systems.
Games are plentiful an cheaper.
How much do a ps3 and xbox cost over there?

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
PS3 = Great as a media console that also does a damn fine job of playing hidef games.

The Blu-ray was the deciding factor for me when I bought my ps3.

After a year of ownership I am unhappy with the ps3 because:

a) Their game selection is very limited. They seem to be dragging their feet in new game releases compared to the Xbox360.

b) Blu-ray players are cheap now. And this makes choosing a ps3 with the bluray a less contributing factor to the final decision.

If I were buying today I'd go with the Xbox.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I'll be purchasing a PS3 when:
-They bring back backwards compatibility.
-They lower the price another $100
-Killzone2 is available (this Feb) and Gran Turismo 5 is available
-I have an HDTV worthy of its blu ray and graphics capabilities

I don't buy that many games, and the only ones I really give a damn about are Sony exclusives like MGS or Gran Turismo..etc.

However, since you are NOT me, I would suggest the 360. Microsoft has really been pushing the exclusive content like the DLC for games like Fallout3 and GTA4, and they've been taking away a lot of exclusive titles from Sony. Although, make sure you buy a 360 with a "Jasper" motherboard to avoid the whole RRoD thing.

rammstein1861

Masticater
Founder
Jan 8, 2009
Alt F4 if you wanna know.
360 Pros- I have a 360 ELite system and it is a year and a half old.
-Call of Duty 4- best FPs ever for console.
- Halo second best Fps ever
- Amazing graphics that go up to 1080p with hdmi. Although you must make sure to buy the right edition because the Arcade doesn't have HDMI hookups to my knowledge.
- X-box Live smokes playstation online in every way.
-Download central- game add ons and so on. Also Netflix direct download for renting movies is a great quality.
- Rock Band music store. If you have rock band then you can directly download new tracks for a few microsoft points.

Cons
- Posibility of the Red Rings of Death. Although Microsoft will fix the problem after warranty but you will be without your box for about three weeks if this happens.
- Controllers break easy when thrown....(I get pissed off sometimes)
- Software emulation for backwards compatibility for old xbox games, however for about a 1000 microsoft points (15.00usd) you can get most of the best titles that can't be played via disk from original xbox.

PS3 pros.
-Blue Ray Player. No way around it this is the best reason to purchase a Ps3
- Possibility of better games due to better hardware. Faster Graphics processor Hdmi on all Ps3's
- If you get an older one, 10gb I think...it is fully backwards compatible to ps1.

Cons
- Shitty games so far. None of the games available are tapping into the resources the Ps3 has. All of the best console games are coming out for 360. Sony does not have many proprietary games anymore.
- New system software emulation as opposed to hardware emulation found in the original Ps3. They changed this because it made it cheaper to produce and it was what was used on the 360.
- Personally I like the 360 controller better. The Ps3 controller is a modified Ps2 controller. Ghey.

Wii pros.
- It gets you off the couch.
- Some games are fun.
- the top 10% of its games sales are awesome games.
- Great with friends or kids.
- Cheap.

Cons
- Don't buy a wii.
- 90% of the games are solely aimed at children hence they are shit.
- Cheap but they are hard to find.
- Wii is for fags.
- Light technology instead of wireless in the wii mote. basically modified light guns, so there is lag. Ghey.

I would recommend to anyone that this Gen of consoles 360 is the best for pure gaming ability. I hope this helps...

P.S. I only put the wii review for anyone else debating this concept I saw you ruled it out. So before you think I'm a total idjit reaize there are other people that consider it.

Violet

Yaa!
Founder
Feb 28, 2014
I'm still waiting for one single must-have game (preferably something by Square Enix) to come out for the PS3 before I get it. Sadly, although I was a hardcore fan of the PS2, I still haven't found that game.

I didn't buy the XBox 360, either. I'm mostly an RPG gamer, and I just didn't see much to spark my curiosity. Chappy has one, though.. and I've actually been borrowing his lately.

We scored a Wii for Xmas, and it's kinda fun. It turns out I'm a Guitar Hero (as long as it's on easy.)

Lethal_Lefty

[P]resident
Jan 12, 2009
I have an Xbox360 and I'm overall pleased with it. Great games, although the fact that I have to pay a fee if I want to play games online is frustrating.

I would like to invest in a Playstation3 at some point, but as a few other people mentioned it just doesn't have any "must have" games yet. God of War 3 might be the game that gets me to jump into the PS3 realm.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
I have an Xbox360 and I'm overall pleased with it. Great games, although the fact that I have to pay a fee if I want to play games online is frustrating.

I would like to invest in a Playstation3 at some point, but as a few other people mentioned it just doesn't have any "must have" games yet. God of War 3 might be the game that gets me to jump into the PS3 realm.
Killzone 2

Feb 27th. Mark your calender.

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
It all comes down to quality or quantity and witch one you care more about.

Ps3 makes what few games they have totally awesome, but like everyone said, it's pricey.

But Xbox on the other hand is good for people that don't much care about the quality of the games, they just like the fact that there is a lot of them AND the system is cheaper.

As much as i hate XBox i'd say it would probably be your best bet if your not a real hardcore gamer.

But later on down the road, when you've grown up a bit, maybe you'll be able to expearence the near orgasmic bliss that is the PS3.

Untill then just stick with a Xbox. :29_003:

Scabman

I has title
Founder
Mar 20, 2008
Norwyay
Are you saying that the ps3 is like a beautiful woman who demands fancy dinners, and gives great head, whereas the xbox is the slighly less attractive girlfriend who demands nothing more than a cheeseburder at miccey D's and gives sloppy hand jobs?

Blood

Crimson Kunoichi
Founder
Mar 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Are you saying that the ps3 is like a beautiful woman who demands fancy dinners, and gives great head, whereas the xbox is the slighly less attractive girlfriend who demands nothing more than a cheeseburder at miccey D's and gives sloppy hand jobs?
Yes, you pretty much summed up the entire feud between the two consoles. Kudos!

Lethal_Lefty

[P]resident
Jan 12, 2009
As much as i hate XBox i'd say it would probably be your best bet if your not a real hardcore gamer.
Not sure how you can justify that statement.

The idea of a "hardcore" gamer would be someone who enjoys playing games right? XBOX has more available games, and arguably more AAA titles than PS3 right now.

In my opinion there really aren't any noteworthy Sony exclusives right now, and the only future one I foresee possibly warranting a purchase of a PS3 for me would be God of War 3.

I think a "hardcore" gamer would be better suited to purchase a XBOX and enjoy the larger (and maybe better) library of games.

I tech geek who likes to brag about raw computing power, or someone wanting to streamline their home entertainment system and limit the number of gizmos they have in their entertainment center would be better off with the PS3 and its built in Bluray.

The PS3 is a sexy machine, but I just can't justify the purchase right now.

...maybe after another $100 price drop like NegCool mentioned.

Negativecool

Gold Member
Founder
May 30, 2008
Internet
Well?? Have you decided yet, in a totally GAY way?