Prep for Life

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
IN THAT ORDER. < ---- how hard is this to understand?
Not hard at all. But it is suppose to be our "forever home" and I would like to enjoy it.

Me:
cottage.jpg

You:

fort livinroom.jpg

See the problem here???

Last edited by a moderator:

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Here ---> Decommissioned nuclear facilities.
And a pretty house on top of it... impossible to find beside the fact that non of these "facilities" are cheap to begin with... sigh...

Wenis

Hello Ladies.
Feb 18, 2009
Maybe you could compromise. Like, living in Absinthe's dream home BUT have special survival kits and apocalypse boots in every room.

Or.... living in a secure rock fortress with a rolling stone on the door, but with a home cinema system in every room and a toilet with pink toilet roll.

Wenis

Hello Ladies.
Feb 18, 2009
Those who compromise on security will be the first to die.
Yes. You have made a decision. Your choice is to assume that there is definitely going to be an apocalypse in the next few decades.

Some people might argue that actually, you are worrying about nothing, that there won't be an apocalypse any time soon, and that because of this irrational fear you have chosen to live the rest of your years in discomfort in your secure zombie, mexican and alien proof fortress for no reason - denying your wife a proper home that she'd enjoy.

Eh?

Capt.

Dude!
Jan 18, 2011
Tennessee, USA
If I keep pounding buffalo wings the way I have been recently, you ALL better have a shelter to run to. I'm not kidding; choking my wife out of dead sleep, making a dog run for cover, and having neighbors complain have all been done with just the digestion of that wonderful sauce. Mmmmm...

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
Some people might argue
Lately many people are arguing the contrary.

But also more people are going my route, many more than have pondered it in the last 20 years. <-- I know this because of the recent explosion in interest surrounding ready made 'survival' products.

Most people think being secure means giving up the luxury of good living, this is simply not the case. In the modern era one can be secure AND maintain a comfort level equivalent to the average dude down the block.

In my case I feel it is a boon to my security plan NOT to look like Fort Knox because in my experience more people are curious about the thing that looks out of place and are likely to investigate.

I want a secure environment that can withstand a roaming crowd of untrained fuck nuts while allowing me to repel a group of 10-25. I base my security model on the post disaster plan. 2005 and Katrina showed us just what people are willing to do to stay fed .. and that meant forming mobs and raiding the homes of folks that were known to have "stuff". This happened in my back yard ... not across the Globe.

I know my 'neighbors' are likely not to be as prepared as I am. That means they will either pack up and leave or band together and go 'hunting'. I do not intend to leave my site unless it is 100% obvious I will die by staying. And once the shit hits the fan I WILL NOT be a distribution point or a soft target of opportunity for those that chose not to be prepared.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I also don't care that I will spend every available dime making myself and my home secure.

I WILL be able to provide 50% of my energy loads by 2014. This is a figure based on my current no conservation estimates. If I went with high efficiency appliances and vastly scaled down my usage I could be at 75 to 90% in that same time frame. These figures are solar only.

I WILL be able to sustain my small family unit for periods exceeding 12 CONTINUOUS months of NO resupply.

I Will NOT wait for the storm to come .. or the shopping center shelves to become empty or the lines to form to get a handout of ice/water... etc etc .. more mumbling and wild eye looks and flailing of hands.

^ I'm moon bat Crazy huh ?

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
NOT to look like Fort Knox
As long as we agree on this, I am more than willing to listen to your plans. I just don't want to live in a block of concrete surrounded by a 10 ft tall chain link fence topped with barbed wire and stadium lights all over the place.

I am pretty sure that there is a way to combine both of our plans.

toilet with pink toilet roll
Uhm... noooo...

Absinthe

Staff member
Founder
Mar 2, 2008
Good example of where we don't agree:

I like lots of windows (for natural light etc).
He seems them as a security risk. Especially floor to ceiling windows which can be kicked in...

Unhappy Camper

Hells yeah
Founder
Mar 10, 2008
Fayettenam Area, NC
He seems them as a security risk.
I've participated in dozens of real world room clearing operations. I've done it in training hundreds of times.

Windows make the job of the guy on the OUTSIDE 10x easier.

I do not see how we will come to an agreeable compromise on this. Steel shutters are the only way ... or no windows !!

SittinGrumpy

Windows, tinted from the inside so that you can see out, with steel shutters hidden behind the wood shutters, that can me turned on with a flip of a switch hidden in a central location in the house.